Men are still expected to pay for the first date

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aisha said:
I'd like to ask all you ladies out. Let's go stargazing. I'll pay.

I'm on. I'll split the cost with you. :D

VanillaCreme said:
ardour said:
Solivagant said:
I've never been on a date, but I never thought that dinner was a great idea for a first date. It'd be too awkward and difficult to keep a conversation going, for me at least.

And to be honest I would find eating in front of someone uncomfortable, particularly on a first date.

What... No. That's when you really get to know someone. How they shovel food into their mouths, and how they chew like a masticating cow. Come on, how can you not love seeing stuff like that... It's the most fun you'll ever have since kidnapping Santy Claus for Halloween.

This actually made me laugh. :p
But yeah, Nilla, actually you have a point. I never thought about it this way.

I went on a second date with a girl, our first date was a meetup in New York City, a casual unplanned get-together. It went well and we both agreed for a dinner date the following weekend.
Watching her eat was, to be polite, a horror show. Joey Chestnut got nothin' on this girl! Oh, and we never dated again after that!

If a man offers to buy dinner,I will always try to pay for something whether it's for drinks afterwards,cinema tickets etc. I don't like a man paying for everything.

I'll say it again. I don't mind paying. It doesn't bother me at all.

This is not always true, some girls want to split or won't expect you to pay at all.

I always insisted I pay my own way. I don't recall ever offering to pay for my dates meal either though.

AmytheTemperamental said:
I'm just gonna pay for every date :p Any takers?

If you don't mind I will raise my hand. BUT....you got to come to me. You probably have a foot of snow right now. :cool:

Dandelion said:
I always insisted I pay my own way. I don't recall ever offering to pay for my dates meal either though.

Sure, you can insist. But you won't get far with me. Insist all you want. I pay and I will do it gladly.

BeyondShy said:
Sure, you can insist. But you won't get far with me. Insist all you want. I pay and I will do it gladly.

If you offer but they adamantly refuse, then it's a clear sign they don't like you. They're paranoid you might believe you're owed some sort of further contact if you pay for their meal.

ardour said:
BeyondShy said:

If you offer but they adamantly refuse, then it's a clear sign they don't like you. They're paranoid you might believe you're owed some sort of further contact if you pay for their meal.

Really? I never looked at it that way.

I offer to pay because it is something I want to do. No one says I have to. And when I pay for the meal they do not have to give me a thing. After the meal we'd have coffee or something and talk. If she likes me well enough she'll let me know and then I will ask her for another dinner. (Of course I got to psyche myself up to ask.) If she says yes, wonderful. If no, I will thank her and drive her home.

Honestly I never looked at it your way before. Who knows, maybe you are right. All I know is that I never forced myself on anyone.

BeyondShy said:
ardour said:
BeyondShy said:

Really? I never looked at it that way.

I offer to pay because it is something I want to do. No one says I have to. And when I pay for the meal they do not have to give me a thing. After the meal we'd have coffee or something and talk. If she likes me well enough she'll let me know and then I will ask her for another dinner. (Of course I got to psyche myself up to ask.) If she says yes, wonderful. If no, I will thank her and drive her home.

Honestly I never looked at it your way before. Who knows, maybe you are right. All I know is that I never forced myself on anyone.

I never looked at it that way before either, because I don't think of it like that. Friends can pay for other friends too, it's not always just a DATE thing. I've paid for my friends many times.

TheRealCallie said:
I never looked at it that way before either, because I don't think of it like that. Friends can pay for other friends too, it's not always just a DATE thing. I've paid for my friends many times.

You are talking about something different here. If I am out with my friends and one of them offers to pay I will say thank you and I will offer to pay the next time. But if I am out on a date then I will pay. There is a difference between out with your friends and a date.

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:

You are talking about something different here. If I am out with my friends and one of them offers to pay I will say thank you and I will offer to pay the next time. But if I am out on a date then I will pay. There is a difference between out with your friends and a date.

No, it's not really different in the situation ardour is talking about. Just because a person pays does not mean that something is expected of the person. I brought up friends paying for friends because it's an example that it can be done without expectation.
Hell, I've even paid for meals with my ex (while he was an ex, not while we were together). Sometimes, it's as simple as who gets to the bill first.

"I" don't mind paying for the first date. It's usually not that expensive anyway, unless I'm TRYING to make an impression which quite rarely ever happens.

Latest posts

Back