Mind going to loading mode

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masson

Reaction score
I've posted about this on different psychology forums but it seems people have better things to do than to help others. So this is what I wrote on their forums " I have this problem that when I'm around some type of people I just feel mind-blocked and there is literally nothing going on in my mind in that time. I have people to whom I'm completely myself and don't care what I do or say in front of them but then there are those in front of who I just can't be myself and I just say basic stuff like some kind of programmed robot.
I know its a mind-block because I can feel it when I'm around people , but I have days in which I'm all myself no matter who I meet or what I do and I just don't know what triggers that.
I've tried to meditate , relax more , listen to all sorts of music , do sports but nothing seems to help. I'm not the very talkative type , I like to be the listener but when the time comes I'd like to actually enter in a decent conversation without problems , also I am not a shy person so that's out of the way.
Is there anything I can do or use to just clear my mind and be myself ? I thought that I could have some kind of defecency of something because I saw that the lack of some vitamins can lead to anxiety and other issues , could my problem be related to that ? Thank you."
Now if there is anyone who has / had this problem and found a way to get rid of it please tell me what to do because this is beginning to get more than annoying.

I don't know if I have the same thing, but I am sensitive (aware) to people that just can't deal with my level of "crazy". So I'm more reserved around them. I don't think there is anything wrong with me, I'm just "careful" not to scare those people that can't deal with me being a spaz.

My husband can only take so much of me being a spaz before he lets me know he's done. My dog is about the only "person" that doesn't care how spazy I am or for how long.

I hope that helps.

I've been a taciturnip all my life, so this happens a lot with me as well.

That sure sounds like a really annoying condition. I have a similar condition but it's not exactly a 'mindblock'. I think it's a form of anxiety. You say that you only behave like this around certain people but not others. Perhaps it's a type of anxiety where you fear being unable to fit in with the group. So you say programmed responses since they can't be taken as offensive statements. I often act like that around strangers or acquaintances and that is why I can't make friends.

My theory is that we both need a social situation in which we expose our true selves to strangers without fear of disapproval. As a result of being allowed to act the way you want without restraint your mind will feel secure. It will not feel a need to hide itself from other people. However, the only situation I can think of where such behavior would be acceptable is when you are drunk or counseling. You should try seeing a counselor if that's available. But not all counselors know what they are doing. I once had a counselor who didn't seem to care about what I said to her. She just kept nodding her head and hardly had any input on my issues, so that wasn't very helpful. You can also go out to a party involving alcohol and just let loose. Girls are able to do this better than guys. When a guy has an emotional breakdown, people see it as weird behavior.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is the closest diagnosis I can think of for your condition. 'Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety, or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. ' - Wikipedia. I have been fighting the same disorder for years and never found a way to completely stop it.

I have another theory as to why this is happening to us. It doesn't have any evidence to support itself, but I sense this could be the true reason causing our distress. We have an empty void inside of ourselves that begs for love and affection. The reason why we experience a sort of 'mindshock' in front of certain people (especially strangers) is due to the 'shock' our minds go through when making a certain realization. This realization is the fact that human bonds are based upon the continued exchange of affection for each other. If we do not keep in touch and the emotions run off, then the friendship is gone. Our minds know this so they feel overwhelmed by the amount of energy required to maintain such a bond. Then they undergo a 'mindshock' like you said. If we were to experience true love from a source then we will be able to heal this void inside of ourselves and therefore be freed of this debilitating condition.

I can definitely relate to the topic creator's post. I don't have any anxiety either around those people, it's just...I have nothing to say. And it gets boring fast because of it. Perhaps we're just too dissimilar to those people and it doesn't "click".

Or maybe I just suck at getting to know people at first.

Well I can't say that I feel anxiety or worry because I don't really care about stuff usually so I don't feel anything when talking to people . Yes I've gotten drunk and I can say that I'm kinda more normal drunk than sober. Another thing might be that for 3-4 years or so I used to be a hardcore gamer , you know spending days just playing , yes I was playing with friends but they were people like me . I stopped being one a year ago and since then I've improved my social life but still that could be part of the problem , still trying to adapt to society.
Now another thing would be that I need somebody to talk to more often , I can say that I have a pretty decent number of friends but I don't see / talk to them that much just when we go to some event or meet up at school and so on . I have my best friend but he is somewhat like me and I can talk different to him and I'm serious when I say that if I would talk the same way to other people I'd probably get locked up somewhere. What I'm trying to say is that for the past 4 days or so I've spent some time with a girl , nothing going on just normal friendly time spending , and I just feel more confident now after spending time with someone else and today was one of those days when I was myself again.

Hi there,

I really felt like this had to be my first post because I feel like I go through the same thing. I used to have a few close friends who I can just relax and be myself around and talking isn't really a problem since my thoughts flow like water when I'm around them. However, when I am with people that I don't know well, I feel like I'm not the same person with them and I end up talking a lot less.

I've read about "selective mutism," and I think I may have that. You mentioned that you are not shy, but maybe that is because you have learned how to adapt better than I have.

Finally got a reply from a psychology forum and the advice I got is something I did not think about. Here it is "Your mind flows more freely and you have better conversations when you feel on top of things in a group.
Make sure you're in a comfortable and confident position, smile more, and tell yourself that you are THE man.
When you start acting like you're the alpha in the circle, your brain starts to think so too, and conversation starts to flow again."
I can see it working, the problem would be convincing yourself to believe in it.
Ah yes what I also found out is that if you get a adrenaline rush or anything to get you more energized can help. After I go running or do my workout my mind clears up and I'm a different person.

Ah, I can relate to this. With some people I just can't think of anything to talk about, no matter how hard I try, but with others I can just say whatever comes into my head. It comes and goes, it's weird.

Latest posts

Back