My Plenty Of Fish Experince

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipster0958 said:
As a woman who was on POF a couple years ago, the experience was ok. I ended up meeting my husband on there.

duff said:
I would advise everybody to avoid POF, it's poison !

A typical case of mixing facts with opinion, so it seems. It apparently can be a good site, since Shipster got a husband thanks to it.

I don't mean to sound sexist, but the experience for a woman on a dating site, vs a man, is completely different.

A.) There are 4 times as many men on dating sites than women
B.) Women can pick and choose from four more types of men than men can pick from women
C.) This leads to 3/4ths of men being ignored or rejected

Doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, you're simply not going to get a date if you are a guy.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, you're simply not going to get a date if you are a guy.

I don't understand this statement.
I know a lot of gay people that have dated.. heck they've dated more people than I have.

Rosebolt said:
Shipster0958 said:
As a woman who was on POF a couple years ago, the experience was ok. I ended up meeting my husband on there.

duff said:

A typical case of mixing facts with opinion, so it seems. It apparently can be a good site, since Shipster got a husband thanks to it.

I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion which is to avoid the honeysuckle hole !

duff said:
Rosebolt said:
Shipster0958 said:

duff said:

I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion which is to avoid the honeysuckle hole !

it's a bit like real life. Most women get to choose who they want and some men have no chance whatsoever !

If your a guy who can't get a date then don't bother.

I don't believe it's all terrible though. The men that I met from there had been on a couple of dates from that site already. I believe I was the 4th person my husband had met from the site. True, this site may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't go assisinating everyone who uses these sites (example...the women.)

I personally think that it takes some luck to be successful on dating sites. Lucky you, Shippy! :)

blackdot said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

I know a lot of gay people that have dated.. heck they've dated more people than I have.

Read what I wrote again.

You're actually more likely to date a guy, than a girl, on those sites...since there are 4 times as many men as women on dating sites.

This doesn't mean that you can suddenly turn gay, but it is a sausage fest.

Also, why did you bring up being gay? I'm not gay, and I wasn't trying to argue that. I'm talking about straight couples dating.

EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Untrue. :D Shipster's hubby got a date with HER.

Yeah, but have you seen Shipster's hubby...he's dreamy.

While I have not been on PoF, I have been on others such as yahoo dating service and other services from the late 90s.

Typically, I do not like dating services because it can be hard to get to know someone and seems like - at times - a person is actually fishing.

Personally for me (concerning finding someone online), I would prefer to take the long and steady approach of meeting someone online in a forum akin to ALLf.

This way, you get to build a possible relationship from the ground up, be friends, be best-friends, and realize one day a person could not live without each other.

And, you have a benefit of seeing how consistent a person really is over time which can be really important for one reason or another.

EveWasFramed said:
It still disproves Muse's theory. :D

Actually, no it doesn't. If you are stereotypically good looking, you're bound to get more attention on those things.

Put John Goodman on a dating site, and watch every single email he sends out get read/deleted. Dating sites are a looks game, in combination with a system that allows women to be as picky as they want.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
blackdot said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Read what I wrote again.

You're actually more likely to date a guy, than a girl, on those sites...since there are 4 times as many men as women on dating sites.

This doesn't mean that you can suddenly turn gay, but it is a sausage fest.

Also, why did you bring up being gay? I'm not gay, and I wasn't trying to argue that. I'm talking about straight couples dating.

Erm... I assumed blackdot misread that to say, "not going to get a date if you are a gay" instead of, "guy".

Does a person get royalties for playing the same old, broken record?
noidea.gif

(I guess I did discuss consistency earlier.) :p

It's not all in my head. Even the person who started POF acknowledges what I just wrote.

I don't like dating sites, because most of the time a person is weeded out for looks, before anybody gets to know their personality. It's one look at the profile pic, and if you don't like the profile pic, it's click/delete.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
EveWasFramed said:
It still disproves Muse's theory. :D

Actually, no it doesn't. If you are stereotypically good looking, you're bound to get more attention on those things.

Yes, it does disprove it. You said,
" "Doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, you're simply not going to get a date if you are a guy. "

You didn't say if you aren't an attractive guy, you said IF YOURE A GUY you won't get a date. That particular statement is untrue.
If you meant to say that if women don't find you attractive, you won't get a date, that's something completely different and isn't actually what you said. :D

Okay, guys aren't getting dates, okay?

That's as politically correct as I'll get. For some people, online dating just doesn't work.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Okay, guys aren't getting dates, okay?

That's as politically correct as I'll get. For some people, online dating just doesn't work.

You should say that "some guys don't get dates." :D LOL, totally PC.

Latest posts

Back