My voice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JustSomeGal said:
I dislike my voice. And I avoid as many phone calls as possible because of it. To myself, I always sound like I am stumbling while trying to say certain words, but no one else seems to notice.

If no-one notices, then it's probably means that you have a normal voice or at least a voice that isn't considered unusual, so it's probably more to do with being self-conscious.

I'm self-conscious over my voice, but I find people either are indifferent to it, or they love it (as it's British). I won't be doing any singing competitions any time soon.

Sadly, I find that most people I speak with dislike their voices. If you feel very strongly about it, you could work on training it to enhance its good qualities and to eliminate negative ones.

In 197... something, Margaret Thatcher, then sec of state for Education, came to my school to give our annual lecture in remembrance of former pupils who had given their lives in war. She had a far from pleasant voice, and basically we all thought her dull.

Whatever one might think about her politics, you cannot deny that she changed her voice completely, and her image. Nerdygirl has an excellent point.. See a voice coach and work on it a bit. What is there to lose?(apart from a voice you're not keen on?)😸

jaguarundi said:
In 197... something, Margaret Thatcher, then sec of state for Education, came to my school to give our annual lecture in remembrance of former pupils who had given their lives in war. She had a far from pleasant voice, and basically we all thought her dull.

Whatever one might think about her politics, you cannot deny that she changed her voice completely, and her image. Nerdygirl has an excellent point.. See a voice coach and work on it a bit. What is there to lose?(apart from a voice you're not keen on?)😸

I do think voices are very important. In everything, attracting people, getting jobs, impressing people.

Triple Bogey said:
jaguarundi said:

I do think voices are very important. In everything, attracting people, getting jobs, impressing people.

I don't think a voice is as important as what you say, when you say it.

People who don't speak often have a way of drawing more attention than the most loudest mouthed politicians.

Besides, anyone who judges you negatively based on accent is shallow. Might as well judge by hair colour or skin tone if they're going to do that.

Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
jaguarundi said:

People who don't speak often have a way of drawing more attention than the most loudest mouthed politicians.

Besides, anyone who judges you negatively based on accent is shallow. Might as well judge by hair colour or skin tone if they're going to do that.

are people with a silly voice usually popular ?

To expand on what Groucho says: Don't go for them birds who fancy your accent. Trust me. Especially when it comes to British accents in America. That always nets you the crazy ones. For example, a girl named Megan who "studies the UK", and can tell when you're faking it! Watch out now, because she'll know!

The ones who are attracted but not fangirling, or indifferent are where you should look in my opinion. IF we're talking about that. When I joined the US Army, everyone wanted to hear me talk. But it was mainly superficial. If you get the ones that wet themselves upon hearing you speak, take good ol' Scar's advice and RUN! I speak from experiences, fellahs.

@Triple Bogey: Depends. If you have a deviated septum, it'll be funny to some, but no big deal to most. I knew a guy like this who was apparently enough of a catch to abuse his lady and get away with it. An obscenely humorous voice -- the likes of which people would think you're using in jest -- may catch some laughs, but only because they wouldn't think you sincere in the first place, i.e. "Is that how you really talk/sound?"

Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
jaguarundi said:

Is popularity the measure of truth? Or love?

Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
jaguarundi said:

yes

Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:

yes

Do three men make a tiger if they say it is so?

Are opinions based on accents truly love?

Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:
Groucho said:

yes

Do three men make a tiger if they say it is so?

Are opinions based on accents truly love?

you've lost me.

At the end of the day my voice isn't great. I don't think doing any telephone dating will work for me. However if a woman eventually does get to like me, I am sure my voice will sound fine to her ! :)

Trust me you're not alone in feeling like this; I often hate the sound of my voice too. Once I recorded my own voice and once I heard it, I erased the entire thing cause I was so embarrassed by it. There's been times where I wanted to do reviews for movies on Youtube but I always stopped myself cause I feared that people would say horrible things about my voice, it's something I feel self conscience about and I believe many people hate the sound of their voice. You're not the only one out there. As for you're boss, it's horrible how he said that to you. ~Hug~

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Trust me you're not alone in feeling like this; I often hate the sound of my voice too. Once I recorded my own voice and once I heard it, I erased the entire thing cause I was so embarrassed by it. There's been times where I wanted to do reviews for movies on Youtube but I always stopped myself cause I feared that people would say horrible things about my voice, it's something I feel self conscience about and I believe many people hate the sound of their voice. You're not the only one out there. As for you're boss, it's horrible how he said that to you. ~Hug~

It doesn't matter if you have a nice voice or an unpleasant one. The sort of person who would post unpleasant comments about your voice is just as likely to be a jerk about some other thing. Don't let such people hold you back.

My voice changed at 13 and got very very deep, unusual sounding. The next years of my life were terrible. ******* terrible. I'd do these presentations in my classes and everyone would snicker and try not to bust from laughing. The worst time in all of high school was a speech I had to give in English. Not only was absolutely every kid in the class laughing but way in the back the ******* teacher was laughing to. I had 0 confidence or self esteem as it was and theres this 40 year old with a degree getting in on my pain. I started to tear up but I went through with it. Ill never go to a reunion. The days going into those speeches were anxiety every minute. the sadness after made me hate everyone and really hate myself. Its kind of funny now at 22 cause of life experiences but its always a battle to stay in the moment. That kid that was me was a nice kid, I miss him :(

robinstoke said:
My voice changed at 13 and got very very deep, unusual sounding. The next years of my life were terrible. ******* terrible. I'd do these presentations in my classes and everyone would snicker and try not to bust from laughing. The worst time in all of high school was a speech I had to give in English. Not only was absolutely every kid in the class laughing but way in the back the ******* teacher was laughing to. I had 0 confidence or self esteem as it was and theres this 40 year old with a degree getting in on my pain. I started to tear up but I went through with it. Ill never go to a reunion. The days going into those speeches were anxiety every minute. the sadness after made me hate everyone and really hate myself. Its kind of funny now at 22 cause of life experiences but its always a battle to stay in the moment. That kid that was me was a nice kid, I miss him :(

You know, depending on how it sounds, your very very deep and unusual voice could get you paid! I'm quite curious how you sound.

Triple Bogey said:
you've lost me.

At the end of the day my voice isn't great. I don't think doing any telephone dating will work for me. However if a woman eventually does get to like me, I am sure my voice will sound fine to her ! :)

Precisely! It doesn't matter what other people say.

Three men make a tiger is a story where a king is asked, 'if one man came up to you and said there was a tiger, would you believe it?', and the king says no. Then he's asked would two men make him believe it? And of course, he says no. But he's then asked if three men who said there was a tiger, would he believe it? And the king of course claims that he would surely believe that based on three men, there was definitely a tiger.

So, as the story goes: three men make a tiger (the moral being that, just because a lot of people say the same thing, doesn't make it true).

Popularity isn't love because it's based on a shallow pretension of surface appearances of something the person likes. True Love does not care for your faults or flaws (in the same way a mother would love their own child even if it were mute or deaf: because love ignores those things). So don't be concerned if you're popular.

You never know, someone might like the fact your accent is unique.

Many of us don't like our own voices, especially when you hear your own voice in recording... This might explain why: http://mentalfloss.com/article/12796/why-do-our-voices-sound-different-us-other-people

I hated listening to my own voice... I hated calling my own voicemail to check messages because I had to, at least in part, listen to myself before getting to the "message" part... It always sounded higher pitched than normal... Then after reading the article, I realized what other people hear is my normal voice & what I thought was my own voice was not the "normal" voice as thought... I've gotten comments about how deep my voice is but I just don't hear it...

Latest posts

Back