Name 5 things you remember from the 80s

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peaches said:
you spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby

Oh HELL I had to put this on the stereo and crank it up- LOL

[video=youtube]

I was born in the mid '80s, so I wasn't really conscious for the part of the '80s that I was alive in. But I do have some memories of those days, and even so, many '80s things were still very much around when my childhood was coming into its own. And some of the memories are just personal experiences. Anyway:

1.) Playing in the parks in the town I am originally from. The steering wheel, sandbox backhoe, and the swings were my favorites. I didn't know how to propel myself with my legs yet, so my parents would push me to get momentum.
2.) Watching the construction vehicles drive past while I played with my own plastic trucks and a bus on the sidewalk.
3.) Almost getting lost following the wrong person out of a store.
4.) Getting my first little car, which started my collection. I still have it. I think that was the '80s, though it could have been 1990 or 1991.
5.) Transformers! Didn't watch it during the '80s, but I did see it later.

I THINK these were in 1989...it may have been 1990 after all. I don't quite recall.

Cocaine.

Lots and lots of cocaine.

If I did less cocaine, I'd probably be able to remember 4 other things.

1. Starting the night by putting my credit card behind the bar at Balls Bros wine bar
2. ?
3 edited out so as not to frighten the kiddies
4. ??
5... a champagne hangover.

I daren't think how many brain cells in London's fair city were killed off during that era...

treble, lots of treble with my jensen triax II’s
us fest 83
hang gliding
short shorts and long socks, same amount of leg exposed as today, just higher up
working on cars, because they needed a lot of maintenance, seriously

Forgive me if some of these have been repeated....

- those great teen movies...Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, The Wild Life, Last American Virgin, Some Kind of Wonderful to name a few.
- when Mtv actually showed videos.
- going to the arcade...man, not many sounds greater than walking into an arcade and hearing the wall of game music that hits you in the face.
- Battle Of The Planets
- getting a "suicide" soda.

beautiful loser said:
- going to the arcade...man, not many sounds greater than walking into an arcade and hearing the wall of game music that hits you in the face.

Ah. Walking into a neon lit, smoke filled, epilepsy inducing room filled to the brim with arcade machines of all shapes and sizes. Good times.

Come to think of it, I miss being able to smoke in restaurants... I know it's not the most popular thing now or even politically correct thing to do anymore but man, after 3rd trip to the long ass buffet lines, I could sit back & enjoy a cigarette... Matter in fact, high school I went to had a smoking section for students right out side the cafeteria...

Hmmm, let's see. Well, musically, I am still in the 80's, haha. I collect 80's music, especially New Wave bands and those obscure one-hit wonders that nobody ever remembers...honeysuckle, I have Culture Club on my iPod for heaven's sake, probably the only person on the planet!

Skipping school to go to the arcade, kicking butt on Galaga...
Big, big, big, big, BIG hair!!
Intellivision!!
Mixed tapes, haha!
Those cool water squirt games you used to be able to play, like these:
16m13qx.jpg

Lace Gloves
Neon coloured leg warmers and bobbles.
Rainbow
Playing out
The Simpsons starting.

1. 80's pop (Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis & the News, Wham!, etc.)
  2. MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) These millennials think al-Qaeda is scary--ha! Try Soviet nukes aimed at American cities for over three decades...
  3. Cheap gasoline
  4. Hair metal bands. Motley Crue was the king of them all!
  5. Bugle Boy pants...those were so cool.

1. Ninja movies. We thought they were badass, now I find clips on Youtube & realize they're cheesy as hell *lol*
  2. Rambo movies. American patriotism at its knuckledragging best.
  3. Three's Company...Every man's fantasy in the 80's, right? :D
  4. hot rods. I mean real hot rods: Usually built from 70's muscle cars or other American cars, big tires in back, small wheels in front so the front end's pointing toward the road, the body usually chopped & channeled two inches or so. And of course, the biggest, most supercharged engine you could stuff under the hood. Those rides were kick-ass!
  5. Converse All-Stars. No shoe is more iconic of the 80's.

And that's all I can think of--no, one more thing: ZZ Top. Sharp Dressed Man will live forever!

>> mtv actually played music vids...
>> remote controls were corded...
>> freebasing...
>> you could smoke anywhere including high school...
>> it was acceptable for a very young teen to date a man in his 20s...

makeup on guys
skirts that would only fit on straight hips
Chernobyl/the Day After
commodore 64
my favorite children's cartoon showing tits, sex scenes, murders, and everyone smoking all the time (also drugs), but I didn't understand half of it

being able to play guitar in front of people
becoming alcoholic
the califonia conservation corps
scott who took his life
and gerald who died

Hair Metal
girls with big hair
Miami Vice and how all they guys had to have that look
Atari
being a club DJ and having to play stuff by OMD, Depeche Mode, Information Society, and the like

1. Flourescent socks and wrist bands.
2. Lace gloves ala Madonna.
3. Kylie Minogue
4.Prince Charles marrying Princess Diana.
5. Spectrum games.

John Lennon being shot
52 hostages released after 14 months of captivity in Iran.
Compact discs
"Where's The Beef!?"
Fergie marries Prince Andrew

Latest posts

Back