Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheSkaFish said:
I really don't think getting a job or moving out would change much, not for the better at least.

The fact that absolutely everyone is trying to illustrate to you how this mentality is flawed should tell you something about what you've been obsessing with, if you can't see how that'd shift your perspective, make you more mature, focus on several things that are greater than you and give you purpose in life... no one can help and it's quite clear you'll never listen.

I said this to you before but I really hope you'll at least try to see things in a different light before it's too late and you end up regretting more than half of your years alive.

TheSkaFish said:
Most people have told me to resign myself to this, which is why I haven't been too keen on listening.  

I promised myself that I wouldn't intervene in discussions about your problems anymore because it's like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone but I'm going to break that promise to myself. Who has told you this? Seriously, I know I haven't, Ardour hasn't, Eve hasn't, Selene hasn't, Rodent hasn't, Callie hasn't, Anka hasn't, Beautiful Loser hasn't and Volt hasn't. Who has told you this here? 
I think that you just hear what confirms your narrative and not what other people actually tell you.

More than half of my life is already passed and I regret those years. If I could do it over I wouldn't be the care giver to my mood disordered mother; I'd have lived a few time zones away and she'd be dead by now. As it is she won't be around much longer and I'm sure thinking about my life after she's passed. I might have 25 or 30 years left...as an old man. There might be some form of contentment there but I'll always regret my lost youth and prime years.

You younger people....for god's sake, make lives for yourselves that you won't regret having lived after you've gotten old.

constant stranger said:
More than half of my life is already passed and I regret those years.  If I could do it over I wouldn't be the care giver to my mood disordered mother; I'd have lived a few time zones away and she'd be dead by now.  As it is she won't be around much longer and I'm sure thinking about my life after she's passed.  I might have 25 or 30 years left...as an old man.  There might be some form of contentment there but I'll always regret my lost youth and prime years.

You younger people....for god's sake, make lives for yourselves that you won't regret having lived after you've gotten old.

This will fall on deaf ears in Ska's case unfortunately.

X-1 Alpha said:
Of course I am! He wasn't just a great comedian; he was a great social/language commentator as well.

Dammit. I was hoping you'd reply with "I am serious...and don't call me Shirley" (from Airplane lol).

Every time I make that joke I just end up looking like a jerk, here's me raising my coffee glass to the day it don't happen lol

I've seen that movie like 15 years ago, so that was never going to happen. :D

Funnily enough, a gaming buddy of mine tried to get the same reaction a couple of weeks ago, and he too was disappointed when not a single person on his 200 people long list responded with the expected phrase. 100% failure rate, you can't get better than that!

X-1 Alpha said:
I've seen that movie like 15 years ago, so that was never going to happen. :D

Funnily enough, a gaming buddy of mine tried to get the same reaction a couple of weeks ago, and he too was disappointed when not a single person on his 200 people long list responded with the expected phrase. 100% failure rate, you can't get better than that!

Ah, I know, I'm such a loser....oops, no wait, wrong thread ;-) lol.
And yes, Carlin is very quotable. When I still had youtube, I'd look up a bunch of his stuff. His list of people who ought to be killed is hilarious ;-)

Richard_39 said:
And yes, Carlin is very quotable. When I still had youtube, I'd look up a bunch of his stuff. His list of people who ought to be killed is hilarious ;-)
I know, right? :) He was such a lovable man.

"To me, terrorism is exciting. It’s exciting! I think the very idea that someone might set off a bomb in Macy’s and kill several hundred people is exciting and stimulating, and I see it as a form of entertainment! Entertainment that’s all it is."

I can certainly imagine how well this kind of humour would be recieved nowadays, lol.

Also, I can't take the word "loser" seriously anymore.
[youtube]9oVtXbTppI4[/youtube]

X-1 Alpha said:
Richard_39 said:
I know, right? :) He was such a lovable man.

"To me, terrorism is exciting. It’s exciting! I think the very idea that someone might set off a bomb in Macy’s and kill several hundred people is exciting and stimulating, and I see it as a form of entertainment! Entertainment that’s all it is."

I can certainly imagine how well this kind of humour would be recieved nowadays, lol.

Also, I can't take the word "loser" seriously anymore.
[youtube]9oVtXbTppI4[/youtube]

We have our own "humorist" of the sort here in Quebec, who was really a pioneer. His name is Yvon Deschamps. He set the bar in some of the things he said which was similar to the Carlin approach, save he considered himself a "raconteur" (a storyteller) more than a humorist. I remember him once doing a monologue talking about the news and telivision, saying the newsanchor descrbed the accident in details...and he goes...BUT IT'S BORING!
"We don't want to know it, WE WANT TO SEE IT!!!
And then, I flip to another channel and there's the footage, you can see the car swerving, he's going around, he's hitting everyone, the old lady goes flying...a real race car driver!" lol.
He was illustrating how tv was becoming graphic at the time for no reason (mid-80's I think).
I miss guys like that. Seems to me nowadays it's all fart jokes or swearing every 2 seconds. Carlin swore, but it wasn't the extent of his dialogue, his was always a reflection, kind of like Yvon Deschamps was.

Oh, I'm sure they'd all get sued. Yvon said so himself recently lol. He said "Good thing I'm too old to give a honeysuckle now, because it'd cost me a bundle" lol.

I didn't see this one mentioned (but only read through page 7):

People who don't know the difference between "Reply" and "Reply to All". The only person who needs to know you want 2 tickets to the ball is the person selling it. No one else in the entire organization cares. I want to reply back to "all" and let them know the rest of us don't care.

My other big one was mentioned, I believe, on pg 4... individuals not driving at least at the speed limit (and you better be in the middle or right lane if you are!)

In the US,

right lane = merge lane
middle lane = travel lane
left lane = fast lane or passing lane

The only lane I get pissed off about people going slow in is the left lane. (probably the "right lane" where you are)

I am a speed limit follower who occupies the "travel lane", so as to not interfere with people merging on and off as well as those who want to go fast in the passing lane.

Give us reasonable "middle lane drivers" a little understanding. :)

bleed_the_freak said:
In the US,

right lane = merge lane
middle lane = travel lane
left lane = fast lane or passing lane

Give us reasonable "middle lane drivers" a little understanding. :)

I don't complain about middle lane drivers, not usually. It's the fast lane ones that aren't going fast (or are only going 5 over the speed limit.)

Latest posts

Back