Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew said:
bleed_the_freak said:
In the US,

right lane = merge lane
middle lane = travel lane
left lane = fast lane or passing lane

Give us reasonable "middle lane drivers" a little understanding. :)

I don't complain about middle lane drivers, not usually. It's the fast lane ones that aren't going fast (or are only going 5 over the speed limit.)

The only time I ***** about people in the middle lane is when there is NOTHING in the right lane.  No semis, no cars, no on ramps.
In that situation, if you have people passing you constantly (most likely on both sides, you are going the speed limit or just above), just get the hell over.  lol

TheRealCallie said:
Drew said:
bleed_the_freak said:
In the US,

right lane = merge lane
middle lane = travel lane
left lane = fast lane or passing lane

Give us reasonable "middle lane drivers" a little understanding. :)

I don't complain about middle lane drivers, not usually. It's the fast lane ones that aren't going fast (or are only going 5 over the speed limit.)

The only time I ***** about people in the middle lane is when there is NOTHING in the right lane.  No semis, no cars, no on ramps.
In that situation, if you have people passing you constantly (most likely on both sides, you are going the speed limit or just above), just get the hell over.  lol

Agreed

When my brother uses all of the milk for his damned Froot Loops leaving me with maybe, a mouthful of milk left.

Non-rich Republicans. People who toady up to rich people, or think that someone who has money must automatically be smarter (I hope it's not true, and that we are free to get somewhere in life instead of having our lives mostly predetermined by genetics). People who think they are so "hard working" when it's getting them nowhere. People who say and do things against their own self-interest, for the illusion of being on the stronger/winning side when they are not.

/end rant. Got to try to keep this stuff to a minimum. Probably shouldn't have even said it since toadies have always been around and I doubt they'll go away, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter and is irrelevant to my life. But it's still annoying.

People who get away with doing bad or dumb things they shouldn't and they know it. Some people get away with things because they have money, others get away with things because they have charisma and social bullshitting skills, and some people get away with things because of being hot. It really frustrates me. Sometimes it makes me think, is there really any point to trying to play a fair game, or does the world just belong to ********, bitches, and idiots, and me and lots of others are stuck living as some kind of second-class citizens?

Dudebro culture in the last few years. A farcical satire and perversion of traditional masculinity. Being stupid, insecure and without empathy makes you an arsehole, not a man.

ardour said:
Dudebro culture in the last few years.

Wait, you're saying that before the last few years, dudebro culture WASN'T totally awful???? :p

ardour said:
A farcical satire and perversion of traditional masculinity.  

I agree.  Dudebros, along with other types of guys, are pretty much caricatures of masculinity which usually exaggerate its worst traits.  I'd also say that masculinity has to adapt with the modern world.  As we move away from lawlessness towards civilization, and as physical work moves from being done by people to being done by machines, a lot of what used to be considered "manly" like solving problems with people using intimidation and violence, pretending you don't have feelings or that you're fine when you're not, and working a job that depends more on brute strength than brainpower just doesn't apply anymore.  

ardour said:
Being stupid, insecure and without empathy makes you arsehole, not a man.

I can't agree with this enough, and I wish more people could understand this.  This is a big part of why I despise these types of guys, whether they are bros or bad boys, because I think they are con artists.  It's pretty easy to be confident when you've always been the biggest and you've always been able to use your charisma to get the majority on your side.  But I don't even think they are that confident and fearless.  I think they're stupid and insecure and full of flaws, and I think their personality is all an act to cover it up and draw attention away from it with rebelliousness, obnoxiousness, bravado, and casual superiority.  They either act like their flaws don't exist to the point that others believe it too, or they blatantly wear their stupidity and flaws on their sleeve because it covers up their insecurities and they don't bother improving because they know it won't be held against them, and because they don't want to improve, they want to be an antagonist and they use manliness for an excuse, and people keep accepting it.  Why be nice when it gets you less, when being a jerk gets you more?  I think they are afraid of something, seeking attention, or just don't have any better ideas of what to do with themselves besides focus on power, dominance, and rebellion for shock value and status.  And I don't believe it when people act like they don't have feelings either, or are too cool to be interested in anything. Everyone has feelings, and I always thought it was dumb and dishonest to deny that.

I wish the whole trope of the "cool guy" that pretends to have no feelings or fears would stay in the past, and I'd like to be able to be honest about my fears and flaws and insecurities and to not have to be a macho man stereotype in order for women to take me more seriously.  But I guess it is all a game, and the best way to play is to just have less fears, flaws, and insecurities in the first place.

I'm flawed, expected to work on it, but it doesn't necessarily get me anything and I am expected to eat that honeysuckle sandwich with a smile on my face.  They're more flawed than me and all too happy to show the world how much they don't care about working on it because they do it on purpose, are not expected to work on it, and are rewarded with whatever they want because status and charisma overrules **** near everything. People say that nice guys don't have much personality, but at least I'm trying to build one out of sincerity. Dudebros and bad boys have personalities that are made of grease and bullshit, and yet, not only do people let it slide, but it flies.   I guess I accomplished nothing by ranting about this again, but it just gets me so angry that this is how people work.  I even find honeysuckle like this in fiction.  I used to think that this stuff goes away after school, only to find that it's not a kid thing, it's a people thing. And it's not a dumb people thing either, smart people get caught up in it too.  People probably don't stop caring about popularity, charisma, and social status until they are senior citizens, if they ever stop caring about it.  Oh well, back to trying to figure out how to be more correct while still being me.  If there's even a point to trying.

Not saying that everything you say is wrong Ska but how is it that you know all these bad boys so intimately that you know that they "never work on themselves" in any way? I'd also say that you talking about being "more correct" makes it sound like there's one exact way you have to be or like you're a mathematical equation or something...

Paraiyar said:
Not saying that everything you say is wrong Ska but how is it that you know all these bad boys so intimately that you know that they "never work on themselves" in any way? I'd also say that you talking about being "more correct" makes it sound like there's one exact way you have to be or like you're a mathematical equation or something...

I let myself drift off into that topic. Bad boys are more working class while dudebros are more white collar. Rich kids who act like their money makes them better than you, and their size and tendency to run in packs usually enforce it. I don't think they work on themselves because they usually come from enough money that everything is given to them and they are also well connected. They probably get by more on who they know than what they know.

The other kind...I really don't see how people who mainly into booze, smoking, sex, drugs, violence, and mayhem really care about self-improvement. I feel like it's pretty much the opposite of anything constructive. If these people care about anything except dominating or shocking others, rebelling for the sake of it, destroying things (including their own selves), and getting their rocks off, they've fooled me.

As far as life being a math equation, I don't know about there being only one way to act, but there do seem to be ways that women like, and ways that make women think you're a loser, and they seem pretty consistent. And I have yet to see or hear of a dudebro or bad boy who is single for any reason other than wanting to play the field. They just don't become foreveralone, it doesn't happen.

DarkSelene said:
Micromanagement

Side topic but I agree. I'm not a fan of micromanagers. I'm not saying I know how to do everything and don't need instructions, I'd just rather have a mentor than someone breathing down my neck.

Dudebroism is getting more nasty (as well as politicized) and I think both the Right and progressives are to blame.

TheSkaFish said:
Paraiyar said:

I let myself drift off into that topic.  Bad boys are more working class while dudebros are more white collar.  Rich kids who act like their money makes them better than you, and their size and tendency to run in packs usually enforce it.  I don't think they work on themselves because they usually come from enough money that everything is given to them and they are also well connected.  They probably get by more on who they know than what they know.  

The other kind...I really don't see how people who mainly into booze, smoking, sex, hard drugs, violence and mayhem, really care about self-improvement.  I feel like it's pretty much the opposite of anything constructive.  If these people care about anything except dominating or shocking others, rebelling against everything, destroying things (including their own selves), and getting their rocks off, they've fooled me.

As far as life being a math equation, I don't know about there being only one way to act, but there do seem to be ways that women like, and ways that make women think you're a loser, and they seem pretty consistent.  And I have yet to see or hear of a dudebro or bad boy who is single for any reason other than wanting to play the field.  They just don't become foreveralone, it doesn't happen.
But again how do you know that these things are the totality of their interests? They may just be doing it in ways you don't see because what they're aiming for doesn't appeal to you. A lot of those guys might be inclined to spend time at a gym for instance which is still a form of self-improvement, to name just one thing. They might also be really into sport in general. You're making so many specific claims about them with such certainty when it's not like you know everything they do. Some of those guys might even do really well at university as well for all you know, just because they have the attitude that wealth makes them better and you don't like them for it doesn't mean that they never do anything for themselves.

It kinda sounds like you making some of these leaps of logic because you envy them to be honest.

Paraiyar said:
But again how do you know that these things are the totality of their interests? They may just be doing it in ways you don't see because what they're aiming for doesn't appeal to you. A lot of those guys might be inclined to spend time at a gym for instance which is still a form of self-improvement, to name just one thing. They might also be really into sport in general. You're making so many specific claims about them with such certainty when it's not like you know everything they do. Some of those guys might even do really well at university as well for all you know, just because they have the attitude that wealth makes them better and you don't like them for it doesn't mean that they never do anything for themselves.

It kinda sounds like you making some of these leaps of logic because you envy them to be honest.

Who are we talking about now, the bros?  I know from experience going to school with people like that for years.  There were even a lot at college like that.  They never looked like they worked hard at anything, including studying.  

I'll grant some of them the gym, and some were really into sports but I would say most were just casually into sports, and more into drinking, weed, getting laid, flashing money and being all-around obnoxious.  They might have some muscle but most people like that just wind up getting fat from all the booze.  Again, I don't see how they could be into self-improvement because the majority didn't seem disciplined at all, and seemed very work-averse.  I just don't see how people like that could care enough about anything to do more than the minimum, because they know they don't have to.

Like I said, I don't feel like these are that big of assumptions because I've seen this firsthand many times. I feel like I know enough.  And I don't envy them, I don't find them interesting really.  If anything, I envy how they get though life with ease for absolutely no reason other than dumb luck, in spite of being mildly unpleasant to pretty awful most of the time. It's not their wealth itself that I have a problem with. It's the fact that they think that they are inherently superior to everyone else because of it, that I don't like. Especially because the fact that they even have this wealth at all is just being born to wealthy parents. All they really did was get lucky, and this initial luck begets more luck, and they just keep getting lucky over and over. Their whole lives run on it, and it never seems to run out. And when it comes to social skills, I just think they are skillful bullshit artists.

TheSkaFish said:
People who get away with doing bad or dumb things they shouldn't and they know it.  Some people get away with things because they have money, others get away with things because they have charisma and social bullshitting skills, and some people get away with things because of being hot.  It really frustrates me.  Sometimes it makes me think, is there really any point to trying to play a fair game, or does the world just belong to ********, bitches, and idiots, and me and lots of others are stuck living as some kind of second-class citizens?

+1

ardour said:
Dudebro culture in the last few years. A farcical satire and perversion of traditional masculinity.  Being stupid, insecure and without empathy makes you an arsehole, not a man.

+1

TheSkaFish said:
DarkSelene said:
Micromanagement

Side topic but I agree. I'm not a fan of micromanagers. I'm not saying I know how to do everything and don't need instructions, I'd just rather have a mentor than someone breathing down my neck.

Not only that, but it shows a lack of respect/trust that bothers me profoundly.

Organizations that micromanage rarely stack up well against competitors who actually empower/expand the influence of their staff.

bleed_the_freak said:
Organizations that micromanage rarely stack up well against competitors who actually empower/expand the influence of their staff.

Very true.

Latest posts

Back