Pets?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always had 4 pets. Lost about 10 as I adopt seniors. Love animals more than humans. Currently have 3 cats and a dog

I like animals in general (and pets mostly seem to like me too) but I would never want to have one of my own for two reasons:

1) I don't feel I could handle the responsibility of being in charge of another souls well-being
2) I would be distraught over the inevitable loss of said pet resulting from their relatively short lifespan.

Wintermute said:
I like animals in general (and pets mostly seem to like me too) but I would never want to have one of my own for two reasons:

1) I don't feel I could handle the responsibility of being in charge of another souls well-being
2) I would be distraught over the inevitable loss of said pet resulting from their relatively short lifespan.

I love animals as well, yet for the exact same reasons I don't own one.
Also a #3; I live in a rather densely populated, large city, with cramped appartments. I'm a dog person and would love to have a big dog, such as a German Shepherd, or a Saint-Bernard, or a Golden. But in a city without large open spaces (sure, there's a park, but what's 30 minutes a day?) I feel it's cruel to the animal who needs to run around when he wants to.
Maybe when I retire, if I can afford myself some nice slice of land somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

I have had two budgie, a cockateil, and currently have a green cheeked conure (small parrot)

Had a dog before now, been around cats.

Loved them all. Birds require more effort in some ways than a dog or cat, dogs and cats will become friends with you very quickly, lets face it, show them food, they will come.

Birds however are cautious by nature, and take effort to befriend, some birds less effort, most birds a lot of effort.
The reason for this is birds arent really domesticated to the level that dogs and cats are, so still have wild instincts.

All the birds Ive owned havent been hand trained, all of them learnt to trust me, and all of them spent most of their time sat on my shoulder cuddling up to me.
Birds are also easier in other ways to look after, since they live in a cage, you dont have to take them out for a walk, and they crap all in one spot, however you should definitely get them to trust you and let them out eventually (be careful of windows tho obviously)

Birds are generally quite loud, it can be annoying, and trust me Ive told my parrot to shush many times, but for a bird, being noisy generally means they feel safe and secure, or they want attention, some birds are wusses tho and will shout at things they dont recognise - I got a new t shirt, the parrot shouts at it if I wear it in the room. If you get a bird, make sure you get the biggest cage you can, so they can stretch and flap about, dont place it next to a window cause of the draft, dont place it next to a door cause it will scare them when you open it, put them in a spot with the best view of the room, but if you are able, as close to where you are as possible, so they trust you.

Love birds man, once you build that trust and they bond with you, its a lot more fulfilling than any other animal I find.

I was looking into getting a snake as a pet. Might be cool. Look into it.

I say you can't ever go wrong with a cat.

But I'd like something low energy too, like a turtle. A small one.

2rqh7wj.jpg

2jg2nvo.jpg

Say hello to Toby.  Recently adopted and quite the charmer :)   He's a Jack Russell/Corgi mix.

^^. Helloooooo Toby!!!💚💙. OMG he is so cute. Congratulations to the both of you - you’re both adopted now ! 😁

Latest posts

Back