quotes...sayings....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have five hours to go through the nine million quotes that I adore and have taped on my cabinets and refrigerator at any given moment in time??? LOL

For years though, at the end of all my emails was the quote from the Petite Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupery:

Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

I dunno, there is a plaintiff, wistful, wishful haunting beauty in there that makes me sometimes run to my CD player and put on the third movement of Beethovan's ninth symphony...and for the next 8 minutes or so, I actually believe in love again...

which brings me to another favorite quote from one of my most favorite poets, Wislawa Szymborska: Let the people who never find true love
keep saying that there's no such thing. Their faith will make it easier for them to live and die.

My lord, I so hope I don't get to that point...I teeter on the brink of this total rejection of love, and not even love, but friendship, companionship, that it doesn't not exist, it is totally meaningless...and then I think of this quote and realize will I truly be this closed down that I need to believe this in order to try to keep living? sad sad sad.

"It is in the darkest of nights that we can best see the stars."

-Dave Pelzer

This was the quote I kept whispering to myself...asking myself...when I felt lost, when I felt down, when i felt depressed, drowning, flailing, dying inside of myself.

I would repeat to myself internally "what are your stars soph? What are they? You are in the midst of darkness, you feel it closing in, where ARE your stars? They're there, shining, ever brighter for the darkness. What are they? what ARE they...what keeps you clinging to life when you feel as though the inside of you is cracking and crumbling? What star are you gazing at that makes the darkness recede and fills you with just enough hope to keep going? What IS it?"

And by this quote i made an internal list to myself of the things that made me keep holding onto life. And it was by this list that I was able to build footholds out of a deep and dark depression.

So, What are YOUR stars? ;)

You could be one person in the world, but you could mean the world to one person.

how come this isnt a permanent thread anymore?

" finish each day and be done with it. you have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"love all, trust few, do harm to no one"

- william shakespeare

"a sign of a psychologically mature person is the ability to see that any one situation isnt wholly negative."

- Dean Koontz

When we dont allow ourselves to hope, we dont allow ourselves to have a purpose. Without purpose, without meaning, life is dark. We've no light within and we're just living to die."

- Dean Koontz (From the Corner of his Eye)

"Not one day in anyone's life, so her father taught, is an uneventful day, no day without profound meaning, no matter how dull and boring it might seem, no matter whether you are a seamstress or a queen, a shoeshine boy or a movie star, a renowned philosopher or a Down's Syndrome child. Because in every day of your life, there are opportunities to perform little kindnesses for others, both by concious acts of will and unconcious example. Each smallest act of kindness- even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile- reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meaness, each thoughtless expression of hatred, each envious and bitter act, reagrdless of how petty, can inspire others, and is therefore the seed that ultimately produces evil fruit, poisioning people who you have never met and never will. All human lives are so profoundly and intricately interwined-- those dead, those living, those generations yet to come-- the fate of all is the fate of each, and the hope of humanity rests in every heart and in every pair of hands. Therefore, after every failure, we are obliged to strive again for sucess, and when faced with the end of one thing, we must build something new and better in the ashes, just as from pain and grief, we must weave hope, for each of us is a thread critical to the strength-- to the very survival of the human tapestry. Every hour in every life contsins such often-unrecognized potential to affect the world that the great days for which we, in our dissatisfaction, so often yearn are already with us; all grat days and thrilling possibilities are combined always in this momentous day."

- Dean Koontz (From The Corner of His Eye)

Pages:561-562

" Is the most important thing about Julius Caesar, about Peter the Great, about you dear reader, the way in which we do not differ from other people?"

-Dostoyevsky

"Have the courage to live, anyone can die."
- Robert Cody

" Sadness too shall pass."
- Chuch T. Falcon

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.”

-Anonymous

" Like sand in one hand You can't hold for long
Like scheming on a plan that goes all wrong
Like fudge and caramel they're not the same
And it's a shame all you talk is game
You act like a diamond waiting to be set
In a gold ring, as if, I bet
As time goes by in this give and take
As long as I learn I will make mistakes
What do I want? What do I need?
Why do I want it? What's in it for me?
It's the imagery of technology
Is what you get is what you see
Don't worry your mind
When you give it your best
One two one two this is just a test"

Beastie Boys

I live by this one.....so applicable for life......

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”

Franklin D. Roosevelt quotes (American 32nd US President (1933-45), cousin of Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US president. 1882-1945)

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied.

-Mark twain

i like this one

:)

I never met a man come to greatness or eminence who lay abed late in the morning - Jonathan Swift

"How womanly it is for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, and to arrange his hair at the mirror, shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them!...For God wished women to be smooth and to rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane. But He adorned man like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him as an attribute of manhood, with a hairy chest--a sign of strength and rule." St. Clement of Alexandria, 2.275

I love it :D

You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.

This is the best thing a fortune cookie has ever told me...

Danielle said:
"fat people are harder to kidnap"

You just have to get creative
You just use that old trick of tying a dollar to fishing line and pulling it away as someone grabs at it, except you replace it with a twinkie

Latest posts

Back