Thread for Metal Heads. What are you listening to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DreamerDeceiver said:
What a difference between DudeIAm and Harkat's posts.
I'm more into Grunge, Southern Metal, Sludge, Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal and Symphonic Black Metal. Harkat seems to like Thash, Doom or Death metal.

[video=youtube]

DudeIAm said:
DreamerDeceiver said:
I'm more into Grunge, Southern Metal, Sludge, Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal and Symphonic Black Metal. Harkat seems to like Thash, Doom or Death metal.

Yeah. Old school Thrash is awesome.
Symphonic Black Metal is also good. Do you listen to Limbonic Art?

Not sure if y'all with think of this as metal, but I do :D
I love Alice In Chains ^^

[video=youtube]

Hoffy said:

[video=youtube]

Despite their rivalry in the 90s, Grunge and Metal shared a lot of the same musical roots.
And Alice in Chains actually began as a Glam Metal band in the late 80s before discovering their original sound.

DreamerDeceiver said:
Hoffy said:

[video=youtube]

Despite their rivalry in the 90s, Grunge and Metal shared a lot of the same musical roots.
And Alice in Chains actually began as a Glam Metal band in the late 80s before discovering their original sound.

like PanterA, they were glam too :)

[video=youtube]

DreamerDeceiver said:
DudeIAm said:
blackdot said:
Does industrial/electronic music count?
Yes I guess lol It is a crossover genre, after all. And Metal has a TONNE of genres and sub-genres.
Well there's this thread.
http://www.alonelylife.com/thread-rivetheads-what-are-you-listening-to
But I don't see why it wouldn't fit here. Since the late 80s-early 90s Industrial and Electronic music have been incorporated with Metal, and vice versa, so much that it's fairly accepted in both the mainstream and underground today. I've known of a lot of extreme metal musicians having great interest in electronic music, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. The definitive boundaries of many genres are constantly being smeared together, from what I can see, and the product of that can be either a good or bad thing.

"Genre-bending" is, in my opinion, the best thing ever to happen to the wasteland of contemporary metal. This is especially true when metal derives influences from ambient, shoegaze and/or post-punk. Thank goodness that musicians from France and hipsters from America have restored artistic credibility to the genre. There are a lot of great metal bands these days, which means I no longer have to listen to the same ol' crap that I've been listening to for years.

[video=youtube]
[video=youtube]

flaneur said:
"Genre-bending" is, in my opinion, the best thing ever to happen to the wasteland of contemporary metal. This is especially true when metal derives influences from ambient, shoegaze and/or post-punk. Thank goodness that musicians from France and hipsters from America have restored artistic credibility to the genre. There are a lot of great metal bands these days, which means I no longer have to listen to the same ol' crap that I've been listening to for years.

I agree with you on that. There really is no place for stagnation in the Metal genre, and it's great what people are doing today in the underground. But an artist could still go too far with experimentation to point that they are playing a totally different kind of music for an entirely different audience and still calling it "Metal."

DreamerDeceiver said:
flaneur said:

I agree with you on that. There really is no place for stagnation in the Metal genre, and it's great what people are doing today in the underground. But an artist could still go too far with experimentation to point that they are playing a totally different kind of music for an entirely different audience and still calling it "Metal."

Oddly enough, the musician from the two bands I embedded (formed by the same person) has been asked if being labeled metal bothers him. He replied that it didn't bother him at all because "metal" is such a vague label and therefore doesn't restrict any musician. I would have to agree. The bands I embedded, for example, are "post-black metal." I chose tracks that were more accessible, but the metal can definitely be heard in other tracks.

[video=youtube]

There are bands that stay more true to the traditional black metal sound while doing something new (Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, etc.), but I didn't embed any of those because they're less accessible and might be an acquired taste for people who aren't into black metal.

So are y'all saying grunge is considered metal? And would this include bands like Puddle Of Mud, The Offspring, Theory Of A Deadman, groups of that nature?

DreamerDeceiver said:
DudeIAm said:
DreamerDeceiver said:

Yeah. Old school Thrash is awesome.
Symphonic Black Metal is also good. Do you listen to Limbonic Art?
The older stuff from the Big 4 is pretty **** good stuff. I haven't of heard of or listened to Limbonic Art, until you mention it. They are a pretty good group.

Grunge is a genre of Metal. Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam(older stuff) and Soundgarden are good examples. Puddle of Mudd and Theory Of A Deadman are more of post-grunge kinda sound mixed with hard rock and The Offspring is more of an Alt metal mixed with punk.

[video=youtube]

Hoffy said:
So are y'all saying grunge is considered metal? And would this include bands like Muddle Of Mud, The Offspring, Theory Of A Deadman, groups of that nature?

I realise that for some people, any form of extreme music with heavily distorted guitars is to them considered Metal. Although it can be difficult to draw a distinctive line between some Grunge and Metal bands in retrospect: it should be clear that Grunge is not a sub-genre of Metal. Their differences in style are really obvious.

Grunge was basically an urban movement that rejected the high caliber of production and prestige in mainstream Metal and aimed to bring back a raw garage sound with a grittier image. It was the same "IDGAF" attitude the early Punk scene had against the success and excess of their Hard Rock predecessors in the mid 70s. A lot of smaller Metal bands that were unable to adjust to the winds of change in the early 90s lost their recording contracts or split up because of the growing popularity of Grunge, which in turn created a rivalry between the two scenes. But hopefully we can now look back on that as nonsense and just enjoy the music for what it is.

Since all subsequent black metal is an imitation of Burzum, I'll just listen to Burzum again ^_^

[video=youtube]

Silly people.

Nuclear666 said:
flaneur said:
Since all subsequent black metal is an imitation of Burzum

Oh how very wrong you are.
[video=youtube]

It was a sarcastic joke intended to make a point and was referring to the second wave black metal cliche only. By the way, Peste Noire rocks. Good to see another fan on here.

[video=youtube]

Latest posts

Back