Trauma for a better life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunless Sky

Reaction score
This is for any survivors of traumatic experiences, big or small.

Do you feel that your experience has helped you appreciate life more or has it/is it hampering your life?

Post your experiences and how they have affected you.

I'm not going to post my story here on the forum, but when I first came to this forum, I was, as I like to say it, a shell of a person. I was going through the motions, but I didn't want anything to do with anything. I let anger rule my life because I didn't want to feel any of the other emotions raging inside me.

It took me a long time to basically say "fresia this, I don't want to be like this anymore" and I started the long process of changing myself. I wouldn't change anything that happened in my life because I know I am a better person now than I ever was before. I look at life so much differently now, in a more positive light.

I'm not sure if my traumas (that's what the therapists I've seen call them, at least) qualify as big or small, most likely small-medium. For the most part, they absolutely floored me for a period of time and then they made me more aware, more introspective and more motivated. The healing process took multiple years in one case and months in others. I hate to say that such experiences have "improved" me, but they seemed to in some ways.

Still, they have left a little background haze that returns once in a while and levels me for a day or two, but those episodes have become less common. If nothing else, they taught me the true boundaries between life and fantasy and how much trouble one can get into when you ignore signs, trust the wrong people or go through life too detached. One must sometimes face unpleasant facts.

Also, I learned that if someone insults you or tries to demean you, you need to speak up, otherwise that resentment lingers and simmers. But you have to speak up in a way that won't prolong the episode, which is a harder line to balance. You don't want to perpetuate nonsense. Plus, if people don't know both sides of the story, you can sometimes look like a jerk, but I usually only attack when provoked, but I will attack back. It took me a long time to learn to defend myself and I hope I don't sometimes overcompensate, but it's made me more balanced.

So, I'd have to conclude that, despite going through a lot of torment, my experiences have tended to strengthen, not weaken, my resolve.

Man honestly fresia trauma, biggest one being not diagnosed for 30 Years, so living wondering why I'm so different and don't fit in was hell, when I was finally diagnosed I felt relief and like life could possibly improve but then it hit me 30 years of a life I didn't get to live and lost out on and that's not including all the esxcess trauma added on due to the condition leads me to say no it does help me appreciate life more and has def hampered it

For me, it has made me realise how anything that you have, whether it be possessions or person, self included, could be taken in an instant. Appreciate everything, and be nice towards people along the way.

Do you feel that your experience has helped you appreciate life more or has it/is it hampering your life?
had to go through a lot of resentment, anger and insecurity before I started to change the way I think. Sometimes the old habits creep back in though.
It took me a long time to learn to defend myself and I hope I don't sometimes overcompensate, but it's made me more balanced.
Can I ask how you did that? It's something I struggle with and was wondering if you could share a couple of tips?

Can I ask how you did that? It's something I struggle with and was wondering if you could share a couple of tips?
I'm not sure if I have any tips or suggestions that would work in any or every situation, but I have noticed that people tend to react to how something is said more than what is actually said. A small insult delivered violently will sting more, and evoke more of an equal counter-reaction, than a really deeply penetrating one delivered in a stoic manner. Emotions projected forcefully and tangibly seem to have deeper psychological weight than mere words and concepts. As such, people can easily insult you in other languages merely by their tone of voice and histrionics. You don't have to syntactically understand such an affront, it makes itself present purely by its physical tonality and structure.

More than a few times, I have told some people how I really feel about them, or how their actions impacted me and others, in calm and metered words. This tends to come across far differently than a finger-pointing, obscenity-laden screed delivered with clenched fists at high volumes and pained, distorted facial expressions. One can defend themselves calmly while not needlessly increasing the emotional intensity of a confrontation. People who fear confrontation often fear the seemingly inevitable escalation of emotions that they have likely experienced elsewhere, especially in prepubescence or in that most revolting of all human institutions, the High School. So they tend to avoid it altogether, fearing that their emotions will burgeon their behavior into something that they don't want to identify with themselves. It happens easily.

What I've found is that I can, with practice and not always successfully, get my point across without raising the stakes, which makes saying how I feel less fearful. Plus, I never try to insult the person back (I may not always succeed in this), but I try to point out where the person has failed themselves, or at least where I think they have failed themselves (and I may be wrong, of course). People are more than mere singular episodes and even the person who takes the slightest insult as an instantaneous call to violence can actually have a loving and understanding nature in other ways. We are extremely complex critters and we often equate to fleshy piles of walking moral and conceptual contradictions. People rarely live their beliefs and these are areas that one can criticize another in a way that may actually be productive. I don't know if any of this is what you were after or if it makes any sense, but defending oneself has more to do with defending oneself against the misconceptions or prejudices of others rather than defending something about yourself against juvenile platitudes.

I'll take an example from this forum where I wasn't completely happy about my response or defense. Not too long ago, I left a very long post (kind of like how this one is turning out) and another member shot in with a pretty infantile response about the length of the post, adding that shouldn't I be more concise, etc. It wasn't a particularly well-written, witty or articulate response. In my opinion, the person insulted themself more than they insulted me or my post. That other people gave it a "thumbs up" disappointed me. Did they really want to defend that inarticulate mess? It also seemed obvious to me that the person hadn't read the long post, either, they just didn't like how long it looked. I feel sorry for such people. Not wanting to read something because it looks long, or being intimidated by long strings of text, won't help a person in life. Conciseness often comes at the expense of more complex concepts. One can't always express something in a Tweet or a Haiku. Deeper concepts will never come across in a few sentences. I'm not saying that my original post was brilliant or without errors or that people should have read it. My complaint had nothing to do with my long post at all. It had to do with people openly criticizing a post merely for its length. That doesn't make much of a point. You make yourself look ridiculous and easily excusable more than anything else with such an incoherent tirade. Why not criticize what I actually wrote? That would be far more engaging. Plus, this forum is filled with long posts. I've never seen other people complain about post length before.

Anyway, I decided that I should respond in some way rather than let it rest. On another thread, the person had complained that "nobody reads." I took the chance to throw this back at the person and probably went a little further than I would have wanted to. I think I may have insulted the person more than just their post and that wasn't my intention. My main point was that, rather than look shallow, just don't say anything in such a circumstance. Plus, the later complaint contradicted the earlier one. I tried to be constructive. The person could have just said to themselves "that's too long to read" and moved on rather than pollute the discussion with nonsense. I've skipped over longer posts here myself when I'm short of time. Though I don't consider any of this a glorious victory or any sort of a great triumph, a younger me would have probably said nothing at all and the issue would have stewed inside me. I wasn't proven "right" or "wrong" in my response, but I was able to get my frustration out and let the person, and anyone else who read the posts, know how I felt. In short, I spoke up and so I could then move on. And, as this post shows, I will still continue to make long posts despite that earlier invective.

but I have noticed that people tend to react to how something is said more than what is actually said.
that is true in some situations. Soft answer turns away wrath.

More than a few times, I have told some people how I really feel about them, or how their actions impacted me and others, in calm and metered words. This tends to come across far differently than a finger-pointing, obscenity-laden screed delivered with clenched fists at high volumes and pained, distorted facial expressions. One can defend themselves calmly while not needlessly increasing the emotional intensity of a confrontation. People who fear confrontation often fear the seemingly inevitable escalation of emotions that they have likely experienced elsewhere, especially in prepubescence or in that most revolting of all human institutions, the High School. So they tend to avoid it altogether, fearing that their emotions will burgeon their behavior into something that they don't want to identify with themselves. It happens easily.

What I've found is that I can, with practice and not always successfully, get my point across without raising the stakes, which makes saying how I feel less fearful. Plus, I never try to insult the person back (I may not always succeed in this), but I try to point out where the person has failed themselves, or at least where I think they have failed themselves (and I may be wrong, of course). People are more than mere singular episodes and even the person who takes the slightest insult as an instantaneous call to violence can actually have a loving and understanding nature in other ways. We are extremely complex critters and we often equate to fleshy piles of walking moral and conceptual contradictions. People rarely live their beliefs and these are areas that one can criticize another in a way that may actually be productive. I don't know if any of this is what you were after or if it makes any sense, but defending oneself has more to do with defending oneself against the misconceptions or prejudices of others rather than defending something about yourself against juvenile platitudes.
It's not so much the escalation of emotions that I'm afraid of, it's more of a tables getting turned. Say if I defend myself for a valid reason and the other party turns it around and makes me out to be the aggressor for speaking out.

One example was when someone stole my work and used it their project without crediting me. The website where we share our work on has a pretty strict policy regarding credit and theft. I could have gone straight to a moderator with the evidence I had and they would have gotten a warning and maybe even a ban. Instead of doing that, I spoke to the person first and ask them to add a credit to me in the calmest and nicest possible way that I can even though I was hurt and upset by their actions. Instead of offering an apology, they started a sob story about how they were mentally ill (depression, as if they are the only ones suffering from it 😣) and they have adhd and possibly autism so they were like saying they didn't know that stealing is wrong. That's one. Later on they sort of apologize but not before going on to their blog and complaining about how their life is a struggle, causing more unnecessary drama. Now I end up feeling guilty for trying to defend myself.

Not too long ago, I left a very long post (kind of like how this one is turning out) and another member shot in with a pretty infantile response about the length of the post, adding that shouldn't I be more concise, etc.
yes, I remember that. I read your response about doing some self reflection and challenging societal norms about what is considered attractive. I thought you wrote a balanced and well thought out response.

Why not criticize what I actually wrote? That would be far more engaging. Plus, this forum is filled with long posts. I've never seen other people complain about post length before.

Anyway, I decided that I should respond in some way rather than let it rest. On another thread, the person had complained that "nobody reads." I took the chance to throw this back at the person and probably went a little further than I would have wanted to. I think I may have insulted the person more than just their post and that wasn't my intention.
I remember that too. They wrote about long posts being a thesis. It seems like they want to engage in conversation but maybe don't know how.

It's not so much the escalation of emotions that I'm afraid of, it's more of a tables getting turned. Say if I defend myself for a valid reason and the other party turns it around and makes me out to be the aggressor for speaking out.

One example was when someone stole my work and used it their project without crediting me. The website where we share our work on has a pretty strict policy regarding credit and theft. I could have gone straight to a moderator with the evidence I had and they would have gotten a warning and maybe even a ban. Instead of doing that, I spoke to the person first and ask them to add a credit to me in the calmest and nicest possible way that I can even though I was hurt and upset by their actions. Instead of offering an apology, they started a sob story about how they were mentally ill (depression, as if they are the only ones suffering from it 😣) and they have adhd and possibly autism so they were like saying they didn't know that stealing is wrong. That's one. Later on they sort of apologize but not before going on to their blog and complaining about how their life is a struggle, causing more unnecessary drama. Now I end up feeling guilty for trying to defend myself.
Hm. That is a tricky situation, but you still weren't wrong for defending yourself. Your work was stolen and, regardless of the circumstances, which it sounds like you didn't fully know about, you needed to rectify it. The person you communicated with still had no right to steal your work despite their condition. I'm not sure how well you know the person, but it's even possible that the person has possibly gotten away with other things using that same line. I'm treading carefully here, but I'm too jaded and have seen far too much not to think that there are people out there who would also use that to their advantage, especially given the circumstances. In this case, the person stole your work. It sounds like once you communicated with them, they acknowledged it, but claimed to not know right from wrong. But it sounds like once you contacted them, they realized it. For me, that at least raises suspicions. A little part of me wonders whether the person just got caught and had no other recourse. Again, I don't know the person, so sorry if I'm completely speaking out of line. In any case, despite the person's condition, it doesn't make you a bad person for speaking out and standing up for yourself. You did the right thing. Sometimes doing the right thing has consequences, unfortunately. But the only other option was to sit back and have your work stolen. What else could you have done?

I've been through a lot of physical trauma. I just expect it now. It's kind of like I don't care, whatever. Shortly after something bad happens my brain turns off the recorder. I come too a few minutes or days later or whatever and I can't remember anything right before whatever happened to some point well after I've already come out of it. I've tried and wanted to remember. But, the memories are just not there.

I'm not better for the trauma. Each time something happens I seem to loose some wind in my sails and/or some physical ability suffers. Now for the most part my main motivation comes from anger. I'm in physical pain a lot of the time. But, I just ignore it. That's why if I like hit my finger with the hammer it doesn't even register. Instead I get mad because I'm getting blood everywhere. If I don't get angry and push myself I really wouldn't do much. The anger allows me to push through the pain.

I really am so glad to go to sleep every night. I can dream and be free from my body.

I cant even really get into details without reliving it but it messed up my life to the point I wish I died during it, or maybe I did… and this is my version of hell? If its not, someone give me the phone number to netflix as I have another black mirror episode for them.

In all honesty, my life now comprises of social anxiety, a stutter, brain damage that medication alone cant fix, feeling ugly and dirty all the time, never being able to really love myself again and always being judged as problem-less because im “good looking?” And im not working class. Whilst constantly being told by the same people who have neither, that looks and money aren't everything … unfortunately groups and forums I turn to for support believe the stereotype is true, attractive and financially sound women cant need help or be lonely or anything of the sort. I was gonna donate to this one as I finally felt more accepted here than ever before but still I kinda feel like I dont belong sometimes idk…

I cant even really get into details without reliving it but it messed up my life to the point I wish I died during it, or maybe I did… and this is my version of hell? If its not, someone give me the phone number to netflix as I have another black mirror episode for them.

In all honesty, my life now comprises of social anxiety, a stutter, brain damage that medication alone cant fix, feeling ugly and dirty all the time, never being able to really love myself again and always being judged as problem-less because im “good looking?” And im not working class. Whilst constantly being told by the same people who have neither, that looks and money aren't everything … unfortunately groups and forums I turn to for support believe the stereotype is true, attractive and financially sound women cant need help or be lonely or anything of the sort. I was gonna donate to this one as I finally felt more accepted here than ever before but still I kinda feel like I dont belong sometimes idk…

For what it's worth, I accept you on here.

It's just that some of your problems and situations are a bit hard for most people to relate to. I don't doubt that you have the problems you have - it's just that being working-class, makes all those problems about an order of magnitude worse, because you would then have no money to work on your problems, no time either to even THINK about figuring out a plan - which you would have to do all by yourself and not be able to consult any experts, and you'd probably also have a sense of powerlessness and hopelessness as well. That's the problem with being working-class - you have to spend so much of your time and energy working to just exist, spinning your wheels, not getting anywhere. So tomorrow winds up being just as bad as yesterday, and you're a day older too.

I don't have a stutter, or social anxiety that I know of, or brain damage. I don't feel dirty but I'm somewhat insecure about my looks, but what I'm more insecure about is my potential, my ability to succeed. I'm afraid that I was probably pre-damned to misery in life because I wasn't born with enough talent to escape poverty and singledom and to do anything interesting with my life. And nothing pisses me off like people telling me to just accept my lot in life, that my life is just going to suck and that's it. Ever since knowing what my situation was, which became clear early, I've always wanted to escape. I've always been frustrated with it, I hate it. I've just never had an answer for getting out. And feeling like my life isn't going to get better, makes me uninterested in anything, or in life itself. Everything just feels like an empty distraction, everything feels "meh", "whatever", "just OK" at best.

The other thing is, how do you get out? By getting more skills, by helping society more. But I have no interest in helping the society that holds me prisoner, that makes it this way. And a lot of things I just don't care about because they don't directly make my life better, so it's hard to have much of an opinion on them one way or another.

As far as looks and money go - I don't know. I think that comes from experience, being in situations where those things wouldn't solve the problem. I mean sure, those are always good things to have. But by themselves they're not always the answer to what you're missing or looking for.

If I had your money there's a lot I would do immediately - like get a weightlifting plan and a diet plan, and there's my looks taken care of. Then instead of studying things that I have no interest in solely because they make money, I could instead spend that time trying to find something I'm interested in. I would still struggle with feeling like I'm unable to succeed at anything because I feel like I lack genetic talent, and that I'm an inherently boring person, but there you go - there's a problem that money alone can't solve.

I just think a lot of people might have trouble relating, is all. I think it's like school - different people have different areas they think are hard. You could very well have areas in life that you struggle with and need help with. The only thing is, a lot of us, and a lot of people in general, need help with those same things, and a lot more.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I accept you on here.

It's just that some of your problems and situations are a bit hard for most people to relate to. I don't doubt that you have the problems you have - it's just that being working-class, makes all those problems about an order of magnitude worse, because you would then have no money to work on your problems, no time either to even THINK about figuring out a plan - which you would have to do all by yourself and not be able to consult any experts, and you'd probably also have a sense of powerlessness and hopelessness as well. That's the problem with being working-class - you have to spend so much of your time and energy working to just exist, spinning your wheels, not getting anywhere. So tomorrow winds up being just as bad as yesterday, and you're a day older too.

I don't have a stutter, or social anxiety that I know of, or brain damage. I don't feel dirty but I'm somewhat insecure about my looks, but what I'm more insecure about is my potential, my ability to succeed. I'm afraid that I was probably pre-damned to misery in life because I wasn't born with enough talent to escape poverty and singledom and to do anything interesting with my life. And nothing pisses me off like people telling me to just accept my lot in life, that my life is just going to suck and that's it. Ever since knowing what my situation was, which became clear early, I've always wanted to escape. I've always been frustrated with it, I hate it. I've just never had an answer for getting out. And feeling like my life isn't going to get better, makes me uninterested in anything, or in life itself. Everything just feels like an empty distraction, everything feels "meh", "whatever", "just OK" at best.

The other thing is, how do you get out? By getting more skills, by helping society more. But I have no interest in helping the society that holds me prisoner, that makes it this way. And a lot of things I just don't care about because they don't directly make my life better, so it's hard to have much of an opinion on them one way or another.

As far as looks and money go - I don't know. I think that comes from experience, being in situations where those things wouldn't solve the problem. I mean sure, those are always good things to have. But by themselves they're not always the answer to what you're missing or looking for.

If I had your money there's a lot I would do immediately - like get a weightlifting plan and a diet plan, and there's my looks taken care of. Then instead of studying things that I have no interest in solely because they make money, I could instead spend that time trying to find something I'm interested in. I would still struggle with feeling like I'm unable to succeed at anything because I feel like I lack genetic talent, and that I'm an inherently boring person, but there you go - there's a problem that money alone can't solve.

I just think a lot of people might have trouble relating, is all. I think it's like school - different people have different areas they think are hard. You could very well have areas in life that you struggle with and need help with. The only thing is, a lot of us, and a lot of people in general, need help with those same things, and a lot more.
Thanks Ska, I never joined here to compete in the my life is honeysuckle olympics, I’m sure we all have problems and to be honest Im not here to compare and contrast them... I just meant, people just prejudge me sometimes…and some people even try to look for reasons to dislike me because..? Idk… I dont fit the mould, but im not actually a bad person Im a nice person, I care about others, I try to be humorous and up the convos here.

I feel like I take the time to try and understand others on here, ask questions, whilst people just assume shes a model shes like X they even make posts about it like whole threads about how models are evil or blah blah… I dont know if they’ve ever even met one… we arent all bad, not that bad anyway.

I can relate to the working class they just cant relate to me… I cant blame the working class as most in my circles wouldnt accept you either… would think you just want handouts…however I cant pretend to be something im not just because im online, i’ve been honest with everyone on here, showed my face I cant get any more transparent, so i guess they can all take me or leave me but no need to gang up on me and try to bully me off if you want me gone just say… have the guts…

Latest posts

Back