Valentine's day means nothing to me.....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguysfinishlast

Reaction score
It's as if the day was created to mock the lonely and single people. Then again, you don't have to drop so much money on a fancy date to a fancy restaurant. ;)

DQ also has a blizzard just for single people. It's a good excuse to eat more chocolate too!

F Valentine's Day! ;)

I know how you feel. It's going to be hard for me too. But it's only 24 hours. I'm trying to decide how I'm going to distract myself, what I'm going to do to burn through the time. Maybe I'll clean, or catch up on some reading or guitar. I'm hoping the weather is nice so I can go for a long walk and keep my head clear.

We'll all get through it some way.

beautiful loser said:
niceguysfinishlast said:
DQ also has a blizzard just for single people. It's a good excuse to eat more chocolate too!

There is one down the street from me...I know where I'll be stopping on Sunday, after fishing.

Sounds like a good plan! ;)

Wanderer3280 said:
I would go as far as to say it's the worst day of the year!

It's one of them anyway. :(

I used to get bitter and mad about the day when I was a teenager and into my early twenties. As I grow older I find I'm responsible for my own happiness, no one else is. This is coming from a classic dateless blunderer. I don't understand why I don't get along with people. But I've found that blaming or lashing out at the world around me doesn't solve anything. Nor is it productive. Might be because I'm growing tired of it all. It is easy to be envious of other people and the bonds they seem to share, but it also easy to remember that they also got there through their own strifes and even together will still struggle. Society places too much importance on couple-dom, and it does come across as damning. Especially to those of us who have never had that special bond. In all these years I don't question things like "why am I single?" Because I already know that answer. I can't handle the pain that comes with the strife of creating a relationship. So then the question became "why should this be important to me?" Sex is meaningless to me, however there are times I am some what envious of people struggling to start families, and groaning at the idiots out there who have families and take them for granted.

All in all, for me this day represents a reminder that for me there is only one path to peace and it must be walked alone. I don't think that's a horrible thing any more, but that doesn't make it any easier either. I must shoulder my own burdens. I think, if you cannot do that for yourself, you will be unable to do that for others. I think this, in the event things change.

Yeah, I hate every aspect of it really. Worst day of the year, thanks for the constant reminder that I'm going another year by myself...

I'm going to be distracting myself with painting, making muffins and playing video games. Just curling into a ball for a bit, I don't want to hear anyone saying 'happy valentines day'. That really just makes me feel horrible.

I don't like Valentine's Day either. Each year when it comes I hope that by the following year I will be in a close and fulfilling relationship, but instead I am still trying to find one. I wouldn't say it is the worst day of the year for me as Christmas Day tops that list, but it comes a close second.

You wouldn't have to spent a lot of money on a fancy date either way unless you were with someone who's unhealthily focussed on getting treated extraordinarly on this arbitrary (and incredibly commercialized) day of the year. A notion which is actually horrible in comparison to solitude, at least from my point of view.

We shall resist.

giphy.gif

Xenovista said:
I used to get bitter and mad about the day when I was a teenager and into my early twenties. As I grow older I find I'm responsible for my own happiness, no one else is. This is coming from a classic dateless blunderer. I don't understand why I don't get along with people. But I've found that blaming or lashing out at the world around me doesn't solve anything. Nor is it productive. Might be because I'm growing tired of it all. It is easy to be envious of other people and the bonds they seem to share, but it also easy to remember that they also got there through their own strifes and even together will still struggle. Society places too much importance on couple-dom, and it does come across as damning. Especially to those of us who have never had that special bond. In all these years I don't question things like "why am I single?" Because I already know that answer. I can't handle the pain that comes with the strife of creating a relationship. So then the question became "why should this be important to me?" Sex is meaningless to me, however there are times I am some what envious of people struggling to start families, and groaning at the idiots out there who have families and take them for granted.

All in all, for me this day represents a reminder that for me there is only one path to peace and it must be walked alone. I don't think that's a horrible thing any more, but that doesn't make it any easier either. I must shoulder my own burdens. I think, if you cannot do that for yourself, you will be unable to do that for others. I think this, in the event things change.

I'm not quite at that point yet. ;)

ThatZealousOne said:
Yeah, I hate every aspect of it really. Worst day of the year, thanks for the constant reminder that I'm going another year by myself...

I'm going to be distracting myself with painting, making muffins and playing video games. Just curling into a ball for a bit, I don't want to hear anyone saying 'happy valentines day'. That really just makes me feel horrible.

Oh. Sorry about that. :(

I'm trying to distract myself from tomorrow as well.

niceguysfinishlast said:
Oh. Sorry about that. :(

I'm trying to distract myself from tomorrow as well.

Oh, heh. I just read my post back and I feel I need to clarify. Sorry. I'm not angry at you OP for bringing it up. I'm saying I hate valentines day because it's a constant reminder of my loneliness, not this thread or people who bring it up. Hehe.

niceguysfinishlast said:

That cracks me up - I may have to get myself one of those ice cream blizzards tomorrow. Only if it has loads of chocolate in it, though :D

I'll be avoiding Facebook on Valentine's Day. I know I shouldn't feel bad but I can't help feeling a little pang of sadness about being a singleton when I see friends posting grand photos of the huge bouquets of flowers and gifts they got from their husbands or boyfriends. Also, don't forget #blessed #besthusbandever.

I'll spend the day with my daughter and do something special with her instead of feeling bad on social media.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
niceguysfinishlast said:

That cracks me up - I may have to get myself one of those ice cream blizzards tomorrow. Only if it has loads of chocolate in it, though :D

I'll be avoiding Facebook on Valentine's Day. I know I shouldn't feel bad but I can't help feeling a little pang of sadness about being a singleton when I see friends posting grand photos of the huge bouquets of flowers and gifts they got from their husbands or boyfriends. Also, don't forget #blessed #besthusbandever.

I'll spend the day with my daughter and do something special with her instead of feeling bad on social media.

-Teresa
lol those hashtags are indeed annoying :)

There are a whole bunch of holidays that I think need to be eliminated but for some reason, never are. Valentines is one of them. I used to feel bad when I was younger but, no more.

I'm in the middle of watching "The Lobster" - a bizarre film about singles attending a dating workshop/retreat thing.

The film is very strange and kind of creepy but its taking my mind of V-day.

As promised, Teresa, as I'm man of my word...

2i6j3u8.jpg

Lo and behold, the single DQ Blizzard...which was quite tasty, with the salted caramel truffles. Well worth the slight embarrassment of ordering one. Said it was for a friend :p

2sbo1on.jpg

And here is the largest of the six bass I caught...four pounder. Major plus, caught him on my old school setup...still works as good as my newer equipment.

He's quite the looker with his Steve Buscemi eyes.

lol, that's funny, Chuck :D :D
That DQ blizzard almost looks divine with the soft-focus sun shining down on it :D

That's quite a fish you caught there!

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back