Valentines day

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me Valentine's Day represented how I'm always alone and how I will always be alone. I was prepared to spend this day with a bowl of icecream, listening My Heart Will Go On on repeat and crying myself to sleep. (Well not really but you get the idea of being alone on this day.)

However, a dear friend visited me this day. This friend, well, I love her in the deepest sense of the word I can comprehend. Those who know the full story know that my friendship with her has been and still is bit complicated but to make a long story short, our feelings weren't mutual and it wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, despite it being only a couple hours after our lecture and us doing nothing else except talk about random things.. This was the first Valentine's Day ever that I actually spend with someone that I truly love.

I always felt, like many of you, that Valentine's Day is just a commercial trick to make us buy crap that we don't really need and that element still exists.. Then again, what else could possible be more worthy thing to celebrate than the love we feel towards others? No matter if it is our family, friends or significant other.. Even love unreturned has endless worth.

Happy Valentine's Day.

I haven't heard anything from this girl. I'm really beginning to wonder if it even was delivered :S.

perfanoff said:
duff said:
perfanoff said:
duff said:
I got one after all that !
It was posted to my work. Only the supervisor knows, I told her not to say anything.

I am sure it is a piss take from somebody at work. The deputy manager got one as well !

I ripped it up and threw it in the bin. I will deny I got one if anybody asks !

maybe someone DID like you? :)
sometimes we think too low of ourselves, that we don't like ourselves, so why would anyone like you..

I did think maybe it was genuine but I went into the office and saw a similar card for the deputy manager. Same handwriting, envelopes looked the same, posted as well, obviously the same person playing a trick on the deputy manager and me.

It's not thinking too low of myself, just being realistic. Pathetic really and not funny. Cruel in fact. I told the supervisor that and she agreed.

I am glad I saw the other card because I would have been wondering who had sent it. It's a piss take from one of the staff. A stupid joke. I will deny even getting it if I get asked.

I do like myself by the way !:)

I did think maybe it was genuine but I went into the office and saw a similar card for the deputy manager. Same handwriting, envelopes looked the same, posted as well, obviously the same person playing a trick on the deputy manager and me.

It's not thinking too low of myself, just being realistic. Pathetic really and not funny. Cruel in fact. I told the supervisor that and she agreed.

I am glad I saw the other card because I would have been wondering who had sent it. It's a piss take from one of the staff. A stupid joke. I will deny even getting it if I get asked.

I do like myself by the way !:)

maybe somebody is trying to get you two together :p

in a sick way because there is rumours he is gay !

Nobody at work acted funny today so no idea who sent it.

I will forget about it !

in a few days time it will all be forgotten.
Good Riddance to it !

ucxb said:
My Valentine's day story is that I got Love Potion #31 from Baskin Robbins, its a spoil, and was a super good time :)

haha
is this what I think it is..

perfanoff said:
ucxb said:
My Valentine's day story is that I got Love Potion #31 from Baskin Robbins, its a spoil, and was a super good time :)

haha
is this what I think it is..

how would i know what you are thinking? Love Potion #31 is ice cream ! delicious white chocolate ice cream with raspberry swirl, chocolate chunks, and chocolate hearts filled with raspberry !

duff said:
I got one after all that !
It was posted to my work. Only the supervisor knows, I told her not to say anything.

I am sure it is a piss take from somebody at work. The deputy manager got one as well !

I ripped it up and threw it in the bin. I will deny I got one if anybody asks !

After thinking it was a piss take from one of the staff, I had a think about it. The card was sent to work with my first name on and the initial of my second name. Inside was 'To David. Be my valentine from 'U know '

So I thought member of staff making fun but then why would they add the initial of my surname ? I am the only David. We only have 25 staff, everybody knows everybody. Only one David so why put the 'M' on the envelope. I thought 'customer with a crush' but then dismissed it, no customer knows my second name. They all knows my name, I wear a name badge. I don't think anybody knows my surname. So it isn't a customer.

Then I thought why send it to my work and not my address ? It's someone who doesn't know where I live and only knows me from work. Then it hit me, the woman from the photo shop (from the thread 'I am attracted to someone and I hate it' that I wrote a few weeks ago. She knows my name, her daughter would have told her (she worked with me a few years ago and I knows they talked about me) - and she knows where I work but not where I live. And this is the kicker, she doesn't know I am the only 'David' - she never uses the shop, she doesn't know all the staff - so she writes 'David' and then the initial of my surname so she gets the right person.

Bingo, I thought, Sherlock Holmes or what ?

Then I went into the office to speak to the supervisor and see a similar red card for the deputy manager. Looks the same, it's red, handwriting looks the same. I mention it to the supervisor and she says the deputy manager is really interested in his card and finds it funny. I tell her I think both cards are piss takes from the staff. I say I don't think it's funny and she agrees.

I got home and ripped the card up and threw it in the bin. Today at work I didn't get any funny looks and nobody mentioned it.

So when I'm thinking about all this, I have that tiny bit of hope, somebody actually likes me and then I see the other card and know that it's all a joke. And all my hope goes and a little voice in my head says 'again, like always'

duff said:
Then I thought why send it to my work and not my address ? It's someone who doesn't know where I live and only knows me from work. Then it hit me, the woman from the photo shop (from the thread 'I am attracted to someone and I hate it' that I wrote a few weeks ago. She knows my name, her daughter would have told her (she worked with me a few years ago and I knows they talked about me) - and she knows where I work but not where I live. And this is the kicker, she doesn't know I am the only 'David' - she never uses the shop, she doesn't know all the staff - so she writes 'David' and then the initial of my surname so she gets the right person.

Elementary! :p

Don't be so hard on yourself though, Duff. Most people just see Valentine's Day cards as a harmless bit of fun rather than anything more sophisticated. I'm fairly sure they didn't mean to make you feel bad.

And even if they did, they wasted their time and money sending it to your work address, so you're the one laughing in the end anyway!

Valentine's Day is a pile of crap really. Thinking about it, it's the least romantic day of the year. If you're in a relationship you're pretty much obligated to "be romantic", which utterly kills the spontaneity of actual romance and makes it all a chore.

If you're single, it's just a day where you get the "happy couples" rubbing it in your face selfishly. So yeah, don't take it too hard.

Also, I recommend doing something fun or flirty with someone the day before V-Day, it makes you feel great when the actual day comes around because you can put yourself above all the BS.

That's what I did, and ironically I ended up having a far more romantic day than any miserable Feb 14th I've ever been through :)

Normally I couldnt careless about being alone on Valentines days but this year it got me.
Couldnt sit in the house by my self so decided to go in to town and sit in the pub. Never really thought that one through too well. Red everywhere happy couples all that stuff. Lesson learned stay inside on the 14th =P

You know what man I take that last comment back.
Most of us are here because we feel lonely and yeah valentines day can make the feeling worse.
but you know what, were here talking on these forums and id take a guess and say most of us would not have the confidence or what ever to discuss this in the "real world".
So from here we can see that lonely people don't like to discuss it, that means that there are alot more people out there who have nothing like this.
Bear with me on this im kinda rabbling a bit.

For the people here who are lonely, how good would you feel if you got a card through the door on the day? even if you didnt know who it was from atleast you can have the thought that someone cares/likes me enough to do that. It would put a smile on your face, lift you mood a bit for the day.

Now I know its hard to approach people with things like this but even send it anonymously, you never know how that person is feeling.

I've lost it...i guess what I'm trying to say is send cards on valentines day and be content in the fact that you have made someone you like smile. If you care for them that much you shouldnt mind that they never knew it was from you, only the fact that you have made them feel good about there self because you never really know how they are feeling inside.

Anyone got a time machine, I kinda wish I had done this now.

TheSolitaryMan said:
duff said:

Elementary! :p

Don't be so hard on yourself though, Duff. Most people just see Valentine's Day cards as a harmless bit of fun rather than anything more sophisticated. I'm fairly sure they didn't mean to make you feel bad.

And even if they did, they wasted their time and money sending it to your work address, so you're the one laughing in the end anyway!

Valentine's Day is a pile of crap really. Thinking about it, it's the least romantic day of the year. If you're in a relationship you're pretty much obligated to "be romantic", which utterly kills the spontaneity of actual romance and makes it all a chore.

If you're single, it's just a day where you get the "happy couples" rubbing it in your face selfishly. So yeah, don't take it too hard.

Also, I recommend doing something fun or flirty with someone the day before V-Day, it makes you feel great when the actual day comes around because you can put yourself above all the BS.

That's what I did, and ironically I ended up having a far more romantic day than any miserable Feb 14th I've ever been through :)

Thanks. Yes whoever sent my card did waste their time and money, probably about £3. I bet they think I didn't get it. Of course if they start asking me then I know who sent it.

I'm sure if somebody did like me they would tell me and not send a stupid valentines day card !

dugthecat said:
You know what man I take that last comment back.
Most of us are here because we feel lonely and yeah valentines day can make the feeling worse.
but you know what, were here talking on these forums and id take a guess and say most of us would not have the confidence or what ever to discuss this in the "real world".
So from here we can see that lonely people don't like to discuss it, that means that there are alot more people out there who have nothing like this.
Bear with me on this im kinda rabbling a bit.

For the people here who are lonely, how good would you feel if you got a card through the door on the day? even if you didnt know who it was from atleast you can have the thought that someone cares/likes me enough to do that. It would put a smile on your face, lift you mood a bit for the day.

Now I know its hard to approach people with things like this but even send it anonymously, you never know how that person is feeling.

I've lost it...i guess what I'm trying to say is send cards on valentines day and be content in the fact that you have made someone you like smile. If you care for them that much you shouldnt mind that they never knew it was from you, only the fact that you have made them feel good about there self because you never really know how they are feeling inside.

Anyone got a time machine, I kinda wish I had done this now.

I'm too old and experienced to think 'oh somebody likes me' when I got my card !

My first thought was 'piss take' - I know I am being negative but Ive had 2 cards in the past and they were 'piss takes'

The trouble with thinking a card is genuine is, you build your hopes up and start to wonder who sent the ******* thing. And the worst thing to do is ask somebody - eg 'did you send me a valentines day card ?' - Jesus I did that once and all I can is 'Don't ever do it !'

Post is a little late for a Valentines day story, but I can only really recall two sucky Valentines Days, one of which happened this year, and the last of which happened..god knows, I was in Year 8, which is many years ago now.

Someone in my class gave me a Valentines day card, but didn't put anything beyond the usual sickly-sweet love stuff message in it, no name, just designated to me from ? etc. I showed it to my teacher out of mere amusement, and went about my day. When Lunchtime break arrived, I ran into a group of people from my class who found it hilariously funny, and they made a great effort to inform me that the card wasn't from a secret admirer, it was simply a joke item done because they were bored, simply tossed it onto my table spot before I got there. That didn't really bother me because at that time I'd heard all about the joys of love and relationships etc, and had already decided I wanted no part of it, but the way they were mocking me and how they went about it, exclaiming loudly to nearby members of the same class/year that they had fooled me into thinking someone loved me etc, and repeatedly saying things like "who'd wanna send you a Valentines card" and such, like I wasn't worth it.

Pretty much an average day for me back then, but also doubles as a pretty depressing Valentines day, to be honest.

The recent one was an operation I'd been trying to get for a while, and then it rolled in on the 12th. I have partner now, and we live fairly far apart (two hour train journey etc) and don't see each other often at the moment, but days like Valentines day present opportunities for us both to be together for up to three weeks at a time, and it got robbed from me, as well as any plans I had for her, simply because of an operation I'd been needing and waiting for pretty much since I was old enough to know I needed it, and it rolled in as always at the worst possible moment.

Otherwise though Valentines day just rolled on past for me, since love was, up until 2006, a waste of time and just another mental weakness you open yourself up to to me.

Sigma said:
I got plenty of Valentines stories.
This one time, on valentines day, I woke up right? So I went downstairs to get some breakfast, then afterwards I went back up to my room and started my computer.
About 16 hours later I turned it off, took a piss, and went back to bed.
It was a good Valentines Day.

5/5, I laughed.

Latest posts

Back