Way of Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew88

Reaction score
I think the best way to live life is not to expect anything from life, so that when things does happen you can be surprise. You can still have dreams and goals, just do not expect to reach them.

I partially agree, but it's not about not expecting to reach one's goals...it's about not having any preconceived notions as to how the goal will be reached, or in what way or form. If one doesn't expect to reach their goals or dreams, doesn't think they're within reach, where is the motivation to try and pursue them? Part of setting a goal is deciding whether or not you believe it is attainable for you.

But maybe you'll reach your goal through unorthodox methods. Maybe you'll find what you thought was your goal was only a gateway to something else. Maybe you'll find your dream wasn't what you really wanted. Maybe you'll stop half way and decide you want to pursue something else entirely. To accept these types of outcomes freely, I feel, allows one to let "life" happen.

Instead of an aim-low sort of mentality, I feel one should understand what one feels one deserves and what is within reach, but always be open to new avenues and outcomes.

Drew88 said:
I think the best way to live life is not to expect anything from life, so that when things does happen you can be surprise. You can still have dreams and goals, just do not expect to reach them.

Why strive for anything if you do not wish (thus hope for/anticipate/expect) to achieve it? Where's the reason for drive? Most of us won't put the effort into a project if we think it is doomed.

I can only assume you mean don't 'Expect' anything from situations or people because in doing so you tend to take it/them for granted.

somethings we have control over, somethings we don't.

Say I want to improve my fitness. I can do this. Go to the gym, cycle, walk, healthy eating etc.
However if I want a girlfriend, then I can't control this. I can't force a woman to like me. I can increase my chances by talking to more women, going out more, dressing better etc but it's still not down to me really. It's a bit like the job you have. You can only get that dream job if somebody offers you it. That dream car, you can go and buy !

The control aspect is a large part of my life. I do not feel like I can accomplish much of anything that involves other people, like the examples duff mentioned in the last post. But as for personal self-sufficient things, I can generally succeed to an extent where I gain satisfaction. But it seems to perpetuate the lonely life.

Latest posts

Back