What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people think I’m always joking even when im really hurt about things or worried about things, its annoying. I’m not always joking, I am stronger than most women I know so im not crying in the street… but doesn't mean the pain isnt there. I appreciate stoicism in men because I wish I could be like that, I look up to it. My life is harder than it looks, but I refuse to ruin my make up… crying about it

RetCon. (retroactive continuity) is what writers do when working for a corporation that needs money. Sometimes it's done well, but most of the time it's done as tropey as an 80s budget horror flick.

RetCon. (retroactive continuity) is what writers do when working for a corporation that needs money. Sometimes it's done well, but most of the time it's done as tropey as an 80s budget horror flick.

Ooh, dunno about that.

Sometimes retcons shouldn't be done, and they should leave well enough alone.

But other times, it takes a while for an intellectual property/franchise to find itself, find its voice. Maybe they didn't do as well the first time, as they could have, if they took more time to think about it. Sometimes the writers look at it and realize that they could do a better job fleshing out the universe or characters.

My simplest example is Transformers. The original G1 '80s cartoon has its charm, sure. But the lore was all over the place. Of course, I understand that at the end of the day, the show's purpose was to sell toys - themselves rebranded versions of toylines that already existed in Japan before that.

But then when they did Beast Wars in the '90s, I feel like they really went beyond the whole toy commercial thing. They really put more effort into the writing, plot, characterization, worldbuilding. They kind of cleaned it all up and made it make more sense.

Anyway. Just my thoughts.

Ooh, dunno about that.

Sometimes retcons shouldn't be done, and they should leave well enough alone.

But other times, it takes a while for an intellectual property/franchise to find itself, find its voice. Maybe they didn't do as well the first time, as they could have, if they took more time to think about it. Sometimes the writers look at it and realize that they could do a better job fleshing out the universe or characters.

My simplest example is Transformers. The original G1 '80s cartoon has its charm, sure. But the lore was all over the place. Of course, I understand that at the end of the day, the show's purpose was to sell toys - themselves rebranded versions of toylines that already existed in Japan before that.

But then when they did Beast Wars in the '90s, I feel like they really went beyond the whole toy commercial thing. They really put more effort into the writing, plot, characterization, worldbuilding. They kind of cleaned it all up and made it make more sense.

Anyway. Just my thoughts.

While this is all true, I mostly meant that writers are often locked into contractual obligations, which is part of why it's not a good system. I mean I get that there HAS to be some kind of a "get it the f done" deadline system, but also, yeah exactly like you said, that can kind of squelch the art of it. I think it's all in a matter of the time crunch factor and managing it therein. For as much as I love writing, I really don't know if I could to it for a commercial or enterprise type of a system, because the time crunch crimps the flow of free thought. Kinda like finding out the only coffee you've got left in the morning is the decaf you bought a couple weeks ago by accident because you bought your coffee that morning without having coffee because you let yourself run all the way out of coffee.

No worries, God will fry this planet very soon, and we will all end up in Heaven, there are cheat codes there. :D You can enter them as many times as you want. XD Infinite Hesoyams. XD

No worries, God will fry this planet very soon, and we will all end up in Heaven, there are cheat codes there. :D You can enter them as many times as you want. XD Infinite Hesoyams. XD

I've only got one very important philosophical question for him:
But WHY do Weebles wobble but they don't fall down?? :unsure:

Honestly, I have no clue. :D

Anyway: enough of chit chat , ontopic. :D

I see you are man of culture as well. Finally worthy opponent who mains Sona also. :D
I will have a nice lunch and nice F1 race today. :D Good day today. :D

I try to think of it not as bad parenting and try to say as little as possible, because he ain't my kid, but I think they're doing it wrong. The kid as much as the parents.
But it's her boat.

Latest posts

Back