What do you look for in a girl?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hank2 said:
oh come on now..
you guy's are drifting towards an entirely different topic here

if we look at other things in life, the people that find success pretty much always start with a plan.
know what they want and do the steps necessary to see it through.
you can't just feel that all you want is ANY girl or even someone close to it, you won't find your path.
you could say; i want a girl that's like me. or someone who would like a guy like me, then you have a starting point.
because then you can think about where to find someone like you. if you were a female version of yourself where would you be?
how would someone find you? what would be the right way to approach you or things to say?
what ever the scenario is, the first and most important step is knowing what you want.

Here's the thing, if you assume you want a girl that is like you (or that likes this or is that), then you blind yourself to the other great girls that are out there because they don't fit what you think you want.

The love of my life fit in very few of the categories of what I thought I wanted - she and I had very little in common education-wise, hobby-wise, etc. But it worked out better than the relationships I had with girls who were my "type".

Here's the thing, if you assume you want a girl that is like you (or that likes this or is that), then you blind yourself to the other great girls that are out there because they don't fit what you think you want.

The love of my life fit in very few of the categories of what I thought I wanted - she and I had very little in common education-wise, hobby-wise, etc. But it worked out better than the relationships I had with girls who were my "type".
if that is the case then whats the point in even having a discussion about it? Seems like a fairly wild card draw type deal where you're just going to randomly end up with someone that works for you which may or may not have a specific set of characteristics you think you'd enjoy.

someone who can be a woman a lady and a girl all in one.

someone smart, sensitive, kind, graceful, faithful, loyal and silly, adventurous and fun.

Apart from beauty,

Respectfulness

Charm

Fun-loving

Intelligence

Kindness

Chasteness

Maybe more but that's all I can name of the top of my head.... .

EDIT: Oh yes, and Humility

I think knowing what you want (or rather, what you're compatible with) is extremely important and not restricting. Not unless you've got a laundry list, anyway.

Example! If I ignore that I'm incapable of meeting the needs of someone who requires verbal affection because I believe it's too restricting, maybe we'll fall madly in love anyway, etc, my relationship will fail despite my optimism. Facts remain facts; I cannot express affection verbally and they require it.

I didn't even realise until recently, but I look for a girl that thinks like I do. Had a discussion with a lady a while back. She's very smart and independant, has informed and fair views on lots of things.

She was really engaging with me when I briefly detailed my views on politics (a topic I usually avoid due to the maddeningly stubborn stances people seem to revert to the minute it's mentioned) and she said some things that really connected with me.

It was a great feeling, almost like serious euphoria for a moment that I could mentally lock like that with someone. Never experienced anything like it before or since.

I don't often find people who like discussing more weighty/interesting issues. Girls who like chatting with me about that stuff are very attractive indeed :p

I dream one day of having a ridiculously passionate debate with a girl about underlying themes in cinema/political history/validity of science, then ending it with animalistic kissing on the sofa :shy: ;)

cruelty, shallowness, facebook addiction, witchcraft, and psychotic headgames.

...and if I don't find those things, I stop and wonder... and remain on guard.

theraab said:

Yes. Yes. You get it, Raab. The person I ended up loving was completely opposite of anything I've ever grew up knowing. I grew up in a half-million dollar house... He's a redneck that fixes everything on his own. Not saying that money defines anyone, and that's not the point... But we did grow up on very opposite ends of the spectrum.

But the guy that I was asking for because I thought I wanted him... Didn't work out at all. And I see that why now. I got in someone what I needed; Not what I wanted.

VanillaCreme said:
theraab said:

Yes. Yes. You get it, Raab. The person I ended up loving was completely opposite of anything I've ever grew up knowing. I grew up in a half-million dollar house... He's a redneck that fixes everything on his own. Not saying that money defines anyone, and that's not the point... But we did grow up on very opposite ends of the spectrum.

But the guy that I was asking for because I thought I wanted him... Didn't work out at all. And I see that why now. I got in someone what I needed; Not what I wanted.

Really great point. The fantasy person is built on assumptions about what you want/need out of a relationship and you also get a lot of time to dream about and imagine the person you'd like to spend your life with. Sounds like a recipe for disappointment really.

VanillaCreme said:
He's a redneck that fixes everything on his own.

So why does this make someone a redneck? I enjoy fixing things myself. I look at it as a challenge and if I can't figure out how to do it, it's a defeat.

LonelyInAtl said:
VanillaCreme said:
He's a redneck that fixes everything on his own.

So why does this make someone a redneck? I enjoy fixing things myself. I look at it as a challenge and if I can't figure out how to do it, it's a defeat.

The fact he can fix things doesn't make him a redneck. I can fix things too, but I'm not a redneck.

Latest posts

Back