what is hapiness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potential

Reaction score
I see the steps of the escalator rolling up, heavy with people standing up on it.
Everyone sees this differently. Engineers may study about how it is operated. Psychologists would analyze it based on its effects on the brain. Everyone would interpret it in a different way or in their own way. Novelists would look for ways to implement that into their ideas for their novels whereas news reporters look for something if there is any evidence that could support the articles they are planning to write to the public. Everyone has different views on things and interpretations vary from one another.

After that thought came across my mind. I wondered about happiness. What is it? We pursue it. Everyone pursues happiness. Everyone pursues their career thinking that’s going to help them to enrich their lives. Everyone struggles to achieve it.

If you come to think about what it is to be happy. It is basically to be happy for the day. Every living thing is given twenty four hours everyday. No one cares about what you do during that time. It is up to you to make decisions on how you are going to spend your day. What makes you happy? The life span of average person is about 70-90 years. How would everyone consider your life as well-spent and well-lived nothing wasted even a second of your life?

What is your dream job? making a lot of money? Something that helps you become a millionaire? For me it is something on which I am stepping forward the dream world in my imagination, which is not existing in the society. that is something worth to be in our society but that has not been yet in our sight.

Everyone wants to see the world, things in a way that they want it to be seen and that particular world in our mind is the world that we want to achieve in reality and in reality the work we do and the job we have should help us to turn that world deep in our mind into our real life.

My old drunken father always said "Happiness is 8 inches and a pocket full of money." Therefore I know two things when I see it, spam and the fact my father was an idiot.

AncientBard said:
My old drunken father always said "Happiness is 8 inches and a pocket full of money." Therefore I know two things when I see it, spam and the fact my father was an idiot.

I fail to see how this is spam when it isn't even advertising anything. You people are far, far too quick to call a post spam.

potential said:
What is it? We pursue it. Everyone pursues happiness.

Happiness is elusive. The most that I can realistically hope for is bursts of joy in a long stretch of contentedness. When I was younger I would think "I'd be happy if I just had _____" (a companion, money, etc.), but over time I've learned that after I get what I want I'm content for awhile, then I just want something else. I'm never truly happy, it's an endless cycle. Like my signature quote.

It is basically to be happy for the day. Every living thing is given twenty four hours everyday.

Yes, this nags at me. Each day I feel time passes too quickly, and that I wasted the day being average rather than having fun. But to an outsider, my days are quite good.

and that particular world in our mind is the world that we want to achieve in reality

I always daydream of lives not lived, starring an idealized version of myself, but that can't be achieved in reality.

a large release of dopamine, seratonin, and endorphins in the brain creating the feeling of euphoria and well being

there you go

psychology for the win!!

now if you'll excuse me I need to go put a damper on the philosophy of good and evil

PSYCHOLOGY GIRL AWAYYYY!!

:p

Kayota said:
AncientBard said:

I fail to see how this is spam when it isn't even advertising anything. You people are far, far too quick to call a post spam.

Maybe you don't have all the facts?

Happiness, for me, rests in serene contentment in any moment. Wild frantic fun is nice but can be exhausting over the long term. Anger, hostility and stress are killers. Smooth contentment with situations, people and events is best, be it, reading a book, walking on a deserted beach, sharing a cup of coffee with a friend or just hanging with my dogs and family.

When I want nothing more than what I already have, looking around me and realising that all I want and need is already here, simply not wanting material things and being happy with what I've got. A rare moment of clarity when I realise things are not as bad as I think they are. I absolutely adore my animals, taking care of them brings me alot of joy.

AncientBard said:
Kayota said:
AncientBard said:

Maybe you don't have all the facts?

So explain to me how this is spam then.

On another note, I guess happiness is... contentment with your current situation.

Some say Happiness is an inside job
Some say Happiness is a state of beimg..such as BE happy.
Some say happiness is just another human emotions...

So..my feeling from inside of me..then obviously I can chose to BE happy or feel happy anytime i want.
People. Places and things may trigger happy feelings i have alreay.

AncientBard said:
On another note, I guess happiness is... contentment with your current situation.

I've discovered that having a little stress or drama in my life is a form of happiness. I don't have a life that someone would brag about to look cool, but I must admit I love that my work routine and coming home to a sane person who's not a drama queen or abusive. There's no passion but there's a lot to be said for sanity and peace of mind.

Prolonged happiness is about adopting the attitude of a young child that is looking at the world in wonder, because he is looking at it for the first time. It is about being content and grateful with whatever you have, whenever you have it. It is about being relaxed wherever you are, instead of thinking you have to be at a certain location. It is about being comfortable with yourself. It is about not desiring worldly things much, other than the base requirements required in life of necessity.

Happiness is thus about non-attachment, even with this concept of "being happy."

Thrasymachus said:
It is about being content and grateful with whatever you have, whenever you have it

a lot of things happen in life that will make you unhappy and unsatisfied. if you pretend to be happy with it, you are not going to do anything about it and are going to torture yourself... joy comes from taking action to change your life when it sucks.

misa said:
Thrasymachus said:
It is about being content and grateful with whatever you have, whenever you have it

a lot of things happen in life that will make you unhappy and unsatisfied. if you pretend to be happy with it, you are not going to do anything about it and are going to torture yourself... joy comes from taking action to change your life when it sucks.

I like the way how you put it and that's totally true that some people pretend to be satisfied with what they have at the moment without a willingness to take action about anything that goes wrong. I think not taking action and pretending to be happy should be considered as ignorance rather than happiness.

Some have said that we can never be satisfied with what we have. The only way to please ourselves is to improve or progress our lives to get what we want which most people have believed to be the human nature.

Then, what's our next question? According to your post, "happiness and joy comes from taking action to change your life when it sucks" does that mean we are happy only at the moment of achieving our goals? That specific moment gives us happiness and the sense of joy?
Should we keep fighting and taking action until we become weak enough to lie down on our death bed? and put an end to our lives thinking "yeah,, I have been fighting hard enough and it's about time to rest.."

Some say that without basic human needs met, to be happy is impossible. I see some people here saying happiness is being content with what we have. What if you don't have any food to eat, what if you don't have a spouse or a partner that you love or that love you, what if you have no family and no children? what if you don't have a place to stay? Well, that's a lot of questions.

Latest posts

Back