What is the dumbest thing you have ever done?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can safely say that marrying my first husband after knowing him for exactly 106 days ranks among the top three stupidest things I ever did followed closely by getting pregnant exactly one month after said marriage.

Moral of the story: Do NOT make decisions that may impact the rest of your life without consulting your brain.

Annie Bodie said:
I think I can safely say that marrying my first husband after knowing him for exactly 106 days ranks among the top three stupidest things I ever did followed closely by getting pregnant exactly one month after said marriage.

Moral of the story: Do NOT make decisions that may impact the rest of your life without consulting your brain.

^My trouble was that kidded myself I was thinking with my brain when I married my first husband. Actually I think I was reacting against my family circumstances and picking someone different from my father. But be young and infatuated enough and you can pretty much make yourself believe anything...

jaguarundi said:
^My trouble was that kidded myself I was thinking with my brain when I married my first husband. Actually I think I was reacting against my family circumstances and picking someone different from my father. But be young and infatuated enough and you can pretty much make yourself believe anything...
I was kind of doing the same thing regarding my ex and my father; turned out, with very little deviation, he was a near carbon copy of my father.

Oh, I totally confess that my brain had just about nothing to say when it came to marrying the first ... I believed that because he was the first guy who had ever given me an orgasm it was a valid reason to consider spending my life with him, like he was the only one who had a patent on the process!!! I mean, I've heard of young and dumb but that's just embarrassing :club:

Annie Bodie said:
jaguarundi said:
I was kind of doing the same thing regarding my ex and my father; turned out, with very little deviation, he was a near carbon copy of my father.

Oh, I totally confess that my brain had just about nothing to say when it came to marrying the first ... I believed that because he was the first guy who had ever given me an orgasm it was a valid reason to consider spending my life with him, like he was the only one who had a patent on the process!!! I mean, I've heard of young and dumb but that's just embarrassing :club:

Your honesty about this made me grin Annie, thanks for that.

WildernessWildChild said:
Your honesty about this made me grin Annie, thanks for that.
:p

Well, the title of the thread is "What is the dumbest thing you've ever done?" I've only listed the two dumbest ... ask me about the used car we bought three days before going on vacation, the house I bought because it was in the right price range, the seasonal campsite hubby and I bought because it was on the right island ...

OMG, I'm the queen of really expensive spur of the moment decisions. What's dangerous is that my current husband is just like me. We're two overgrown kids with a high credit limit :cool:

^OMG- I so know that danger of high credit limits and wanting to do spontaneous crazy things. I'm normally very much in control of it but right now I fight a daily (sometimes hourly) urge to go and order a new Victory Hammer- I'm glad the nearest dealership is a five hour drive away. I'm trying so hard to not give in to impulse....

Sigh....since you've been straight up and honest- I got married on a dare when I was twenty. I was TOTALLY thinking with the wrong head that day (knew her for about two months). Please God, don't let jagmeanie, MeanEve, or TheRealMeanCallie see this....

Nothing like putting ones neck on the chopping block.

^OMG- I so know that danger of high credit limits and wanting to do spontaneous crazy things. I'm normally very much in control of it but right now I fight a daily (sometimes hourly) urge to go and order a new Victory Hammer- I'm glad the nearest dealership is a five hour drive away. I'm trying so hard to not give in to impulse....

Sigh....since you've been straight up and honest- I got married on a dare when I was twenty. I was TOTALLY thinking with the wrong head that day (knew her for about two months). Please God, don't let jagmeanie, MeanEve, or TheRealMeanCallie see this....

4954685.gif

EveWasFramed said:

4954685.gif

Oh fresia..

going back with a guy because he threatened suicide and got his friends to call me, after he dumped me with the unforgettable reason: "I was treating you too well, I lost all respect for myself", and, no, we were not in high school or anywhere near it

EveWasFramed said:

ahem, REALLY?

Peaches said:
going back with a guy because he threatened suicide and got his friends to call me, after he dumped me with the unforgettable reason: "I was treating you too well, I lost all respect for myself", and, no, we were not in high school or anywhere near it

EveWasFramed said:

ahem, REALLY?

Yup...are you gonna become MeanPeach now?

Annie Bodie said:
jaguarundi said:

Well at least you GOT an orgasm. My first had a catholic upbringing and, it turns out, issues about sex. I felt sorry for him and thought we could work it all out .... once we had (due in no small way to my patience, care and never, ever making him feel bad about his problem) he pissed off with a slag he met at the office Xmas party... Ho Ho ******* Ho .... one might say :p

And WWC - married on a dare? You always have to go the extra mile, I reckon. Couldn't you have just accepted a dare that you could drink 12 beers and half a bottle of tequila, then end up puking like a dog in the ER like any normal idiot 20 year old??:club:

jaguarundi said:
And WWC - married on a dare? You always have to go the extra mile, I reckon. Couldn't you have just accepted a dare that you could drink 12 beers and half a bottle of tequila, then end up puking like a dog in the ER like any normal idiot 20 year old??:club:

I've always been a bit of an overachiever- had to be an extraordinary idiot at that time of my life.

Hey....you saw what the twelve beer and bottle of tequila did to me? Sorry I don't remember you, it was a pretty crazy night(s). I avoided the ER but did do the drunk tank a couple of times....oops, another "...dumbest thing..." confession.

jaguarundi said:

I've always been a bit of an overachiever- had to be an extraordinary idiot at that time of my life.

Hey....you saw what the twelve beer and bottle of tequila did to me? Sorry I don't remember you, it was a pretty crazy night(s). I avoided the ER but did do the drunk tank a couple of times....oops, another "...dumbest thing..." confession.

Oh it was you - I remember holding your handbag and your hair away from your face whilst you hurled by the dumpsters in the corner of the car park outside the nightclub....

jaguarundi said:
jaguarundi said:

Oh it was you - I remember holding your handbag and your hair away from your face whilst you hurled by the dumpsters in the corner of the car park outside the nightclub....

Handbag? LOL, that's kinda funny. As far as hair, yeah, it was pretty long back in the day (almost down to my ass).

jaguarundi said:
jaguarundi said:

Handbag? LOL, that's kinda funny. As far as hair, yeah, it was pretty long back in the day (almost down to my ass).

Oh...well maybe that explains your dumbshit behavior "back in the day." :) The weight of all that hair was putting stress on your brain, making you think really BAD ideas were actually good ones.

EveWasFramed said:
jaguarundi said:
jaguarundi said:

Oh...well maybe that explains your dumbshit behavior "back in the day." :) The weight of all that hair was putting stress on your brain, making you think really BAD ideas were actually good ones.

You just might have a point there Eve, I did gain a handful of smarts when I got The Haircut *sob, sniffle*

Reading some of the posts here let's me know I'm not the only idiot in the world... Not in particular order, (1) Proposed to a girl on a dare... She said yes... Bought a ring... 3 days later, went out on a our first date, she tells me she's a lesbian but she's doing this on a dare... Apparently the guy who dared me was the boyfriend of the girl who dared the girl... Can't believe fell for that... (2) Speaking of snorting things up the nose, I took 2 hits of acid by accident... Well, wasn't really accident but well, here's the story... My senior year in high school... Went to a graduation party the night before the graduation... There were close to 100, if not more, kids in someone's house... It was getting late & we were all pretty much drunk... Somebody tossed me a sugar cube & of course being drunk, I popped it in my mouth & swallowed it... Worst thing I've done till that point, other than drinking, was trying pot once when I was 14... But anyway, about 45 minutes went by & the guy who gave me the sugar cube kept staring at me... Last thing I remember was him saying, "how you feeling?" & me replying "ummm... I'm drunk"... Thought I just passed out from being drunk but from what I've been told, they thought one he gave me was a dud so he gave me another one & I took it... Basically I took 2 hits of acid within an hour... Funny thing about it was, I didn't start tripping till the next day, in the middle of graduation.... Man, that was freaky...!!! (3) there's a phrase, "don't honeysuckle where you eat". It's a good advise for a reason... I dated a girl I worked with... Didn't work out... She started spreading rumors... I tried talking to her & she went to human resource & tried to claim I was harassing her... Turned ugly real quick... (4). Started smoking when I was 13... Biggest mistake... I'm 43 now so I've been smoking for 30 years... There are times I really do enjoy it but there are times I really hate it, too... (5) ran into an old friend at a bar... We got carried away & ended up having little too much to drink... I talked my friend into having his sister come to pick us up & that's the last "smart thing" I did for the night... She drove a sports car, mustang... Thing about a lot of sports cars is that disc breaks on front wheels are pretty exposed... Well, I couldn't hold it so I had her pull the car over & I pissed on her break, how I managed to have a perfect aim being that drunk?, no idea... Few miles down the road, every time she hit the break, inside the car smelled like pee... She said she couldn't get rid of the smell for about 2 weeks... Then I tried to make out with her... She looked so sexy at the moment & oh yeah, she was married at the time... All the while this buddy of mine was laughing at me from the back seat... Somehow, her husband found out about it & that's what started the argument... 18 month later, they were divorced... She keeps telling me it wasn't my fault & there was an underlying issues for years but I still have a hard time looking directly at her in guilt...

Too many to list but it just keeps going...

In college I tried to give myself a white streak in my hair like Bonnie Raitt's (I idolised her at the time). I ended up bleaching too big of a patch of hair and made myself look like 'a pissed-off skunk' according to my older sisters who pissed themselves laughing every time they looked at me.

Latest posts

Back