What is the meaning of life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheaptrickfan said:
until the universe implodes.

actually most theoretical physicists now believe it will end in the "Big Freeze", where we keep expanding out until all energy is dispersed, leaving a cold, dark, frozen, spread-out nothingness...:(

but implosion doesn't sound too bad compared to that. :D

Just_Some_Dude said:
cheaptrickfan said:
until the universe implodes.

actually most theoretical physicists now believe it will end in the "Big Freeze", where we keep expanding out until all energy is dispersed, leaving a cold, dark, frozen, spread-out nothingness...:(

but implosion doesn't sound too bad compared to that. :D

6 of one, half-dozen of another....

randomname said:
My answer to the meaning of life is progress. But what is progress?

As you don't know the meaning of progress than how can you say that life is progress. Well according to me every person has different different purpose in their life. So they want to become something during their life. There is a loving plan for each of our lives here on earth and there is no such thing as coincidence.

I have a hard time seeing that there is any sort of grand purpose to life, and this is something I've really been struggling with for the past few years. The only answer I've found is that there is some solace in discovering the person you want to be and choosing to act in accordance with that choice. I suppose that what I'm doing is creating some meaning in the absence of it being supplied by the universe.

You know if you were terribly religious you wouldn't need to put much thought into this.

"What is the meaning of life?" is only one of many ways to verbalize existential angst; the somewhat vague need to "figure everything out" or "figure out what the point of it all is." In my own life, I've addressed the need with a philosophical discourse that starts with no assumptions whatsoever about life and goes from there.

The first thing that occurs to me, as it has before to many greater minds than mine, is that in the end there is really only one question: do I go on living or not? The most famous expression of this sentiment is of course "To be, or not to be: that is the question" from Shakespeare. Nobody can answer this question for you and given the limits of the human mind, even you can never answer the question in any completely satisfying way. The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein said it perfectly: "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

OK, so you've decided to go on living. Great. Then I can say with confidence that there is a meta-meaning to everyone's life: the purpose of life is to pursue happiness. That is our only real occupation on planet Earth if we decide to stick around.

The people who are best at this pursuit are pretty clearly those who do not live particularly mindful existences, those happy-go-lucky souls who don't really plan their path through life or reflect on the choices they make and yet have a grand old time anyway. However, if we must continue this discourse, then the next step is to address the question "What is the best way to pursue happiness?" It seems to me that there are three major approaches to such a pursuit: 1) try to satisfy your needs, 2) try to eliminate your needs, or 3) ignore your needs and do what God or some higher calling tells you. If you look closely enough, the distinctions between these approaches are fuzzy, and even without fuzziness, people can choose combinations of more than one approach. Moreover, identifying these three approaches does not suggest which one is correct for any given person. However, to me this framework has been useful as a foundation for beginning the search for a personal best path.

So what do the three approaches mean in terms of day-to-day existence? Well, an example of approach 1 is the default way of life for most people: get a good job, a good family, some good hobbies and then you're all set. Examples of approach 2 are certain (usually Eastern) styles of living such as asceticism and nontheistic Buddhism. An example of approach 3 is a monastic Catholic monk or an entirely selfless charity worker or something similar. Most people on this forum are probably on path number 1 and are having a hard time satisfying a particular need: the need for human companionship.

Next question? :D

Latest posts

Back