What is your idea of "romance"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equinox said:
Nothing says romance like looking at stars. Maybe because I've been looking at them alone all my life, and usually wishing someone was there with me. Instead, whenever I look at stars, I just sing to myself.

Aww, that is very romantic too! :'>

Looking at stars and wishing that there is someone for me, looking at starry sky too and thinking: ''is my true love somewhere there?''.

And maybe watch stars together with a boyfriend, so romantic...

Limlim said:
Oh man I suck at romance, lol. That was a beef every single girlfriend I ever had had with me! I am about as sentimental as a bag of rocks.

The one they hated the most? Me calling up from work going "hey its valentines day today, where should I book for dinner?"

Evidently I was supposed to surprise them....

I don't see anything wrong with asking that. That would be fine with me. It's nice to pick a place you like to eat.

But for me, I'm not into romance. I'd rather get $20 worth of Taco Bell, go back home and play games or watch movies.

You like your toes sucked, Eve? Huh. I'm picturing you in a whole new light... :D

I'm not into the conventional ideas of romance. A lot of it just seems contrived. Sure, I enjoy long walks on the beach, a stroll through the park, a fantastic meal, flowers, etc, but I get all that now without a guy around.
If a guy wants to get on my good side, he can wash the dishes, clean the bathroom, and help out with my kid. Any guy who did that would never get rid of me. (And he would have to kill spiders in the house too, can't forget about that) :D

Teresa

Romance is doing the little honeysuckle for a woman, like drawing a scented bath for her with candles and everything and watching the kids for her, when all you really wanna do is fresia her and go to bed.

It's true, no?

Romance...

I'm a romantic, over sensitive son-of-a-*****... :):(

I want to find a girl and treat her like a princess, and hang out with her, take her to dinner and stuff... and make love to her in a field with the stars in the sky...

There is also my "kinky" side... but yes I'm romantic and that's my idea of romance, being with someone and caring about her, love her despite of her defects and be loyal to her.

By now I know this is hard to get... girls often feel annoyed when I'm trying to be nice and "a gentleman", that's just not the way to pick up girls these days... I guess I'm old fashioned.

TheSolitaryMan said:
annik said:
I got thinking about this today and I was thinking it might be great to share some views.

I think I have a pretty simple, laid back approach to romance. I kind of cringe at the typical sort...roses petals on a bed and trips to Paris (though the Pixar film Ratatouille did make me want to go for the first time ever and not *just* because I found Peter O'Toole's critic character strangely sexy...). I think it's all about the little things and just knowing they thought about you. Personal things that only mean something to you.

Also do you think it's harder for women to be romantic to men? I mean flowers and chocie's aren't going to go down that well in man land are they?! I think I can see where this question is going but anyway...

I've tried to be romantic with men or at least do little things to make them feel thought about but I think its harder for girls to show it personally.

I'd agree with the simple approach to romance, at least that's how I envision it. If and when I one day have a girl, I'd like to occasionally give her some flowers just as a gesture and suggest trips out to places, but I think really it's stuff like just holding hands, having walks through the country together and so on that I find the most romantic in nature, not really the huge expensive holidays or gold jewellery.

In fact, if you look at particularly unhappy rich couples, it's usually because they've tried to substitute "perfect romance" for those simple activities that bring genuine pleasure because they show that someone really cares.

As for food gifts not going down well with men, you're kidding right? The real difference is that men want deliciously cooked and marinaded animal products, not chocolate :D

Any girl that buys or cooks me a nice steak would officially be in my good books for ages and could rest assured that I'd be very happy indeed. I'm actually feeling happy thinking of that ever happening! :p

More seriously (sort of, I meant that stuff about the steak! ;) ) I think it depends on the man too of course. I'm quite a sensitive sort with simple tastes, so I'd also be well pleased with just some nice clothed snuggling up on the sofa with a DVD or something, or a picnic in the sun. What could be more genuinely romantic than that?

It could also be that my somewhat more innocent expectations are down to my loneliness and naivety though.

My more uninhibited and experienced male acquaintances generally conform to the rather less sophisticated opinion of "moar secks = romantslol" :rolleyes:

In general though, I think the idea that men don't "get" romance from girls unless it's rude in nature is incorrect.

I'd be over the moon just for her to hold hands with me and look at the stars actually, makes my heart leap thinking of it!

I certainly agree, and couldn't have said it better. The occasional thought of giving can say many words, though material things will often bring limited happiness to someone you love. And excessive extravagance can really distract from the things that really count in a relationship. I personally see romance as defined by the very sentiments shared between a couple.

And I'm with Equinox about watching the stars. I often pass the hours by at night, looking at the stars and the moon. I always imagined how nice it would be to have the lady I love at my side and silently stargaze together with wonder. That would be amazing.

It's those simple moments that will be remembered. Holding her close, keeping her safe, keeping her warm; being there for each other and knowing she loves you. That's what I think romance is about, the essence of being together, and it's priceless.

Lol poor Eve. :club:

Badjedidude said:
Romance is doing the little honeysuckle for a woman, like drawing a scented bath for her with candles and everything and watching the kids for her, when all you really wanna do is fresia her and go to bed.

It's true, no?

And no, Jedi. (D) Drawing a bath tub might seem romantic and stuff, but what I think of is the aftermath of it... which is cleaning the tub and making sure a ring doesn't form in the tub afterwards... Didn't think about that, did ya?

VanillaCreme said:
And no, Jedi. (D) Drawing a bath tub might seem romantic and stuff, but what I think of is the aftermath of it... which is cleaning the tub and making sure a ring doesn't form in the tub afterwards... Didn't think about that, did ya?

I don't understand the concept of housework. It's genetically impossible for me to comprehend. :cool: lol

Badjedidude said:
VanillaCreme said:

I don't understand the concept of housework. It's genetically impossible for me to comprehend. :cool: lol

you know, if you peed a ring around the tub to wash away the foam it would be both amusing and efficient at the same time. A quick spray down after that with the shower head and she'll never know! :)

Badjedidude said:
VanillaCreme said:

Hah.. I don't either. But I have to clean everything by impulse or else.. -_-

So my lady has no need to worry :p

Knowing what to do that makes her smile. Having a good memory and eye for what she's fond of.

Also: chocolates.

IgnoredOne said:
Knowing what to do that makes her smile. Having a good memory and eye for what she's fond of.

Also: chocolates.

You know, I'm actually contemplating carrying a little notepad if I get a GF, just to covertly jot down particular things she seems to like or hints at liking. Kind of like Bill Murray's information gathering in Groundhog Day, just without the infinite repetition :D

Plus it would also make up for the fact that I'm terrible with dates. I reckon I've got a good chance of getting slapped in the face on a few anniversaries :(

Given the lack of response to my "Card trick of hotness" idea, I'm guessing that doesn't tug on a lady's romance strings. Perhaps a surprise snogging would be more upfront, simple and yet achieve the same goals? :p

TheSolitaryMan said:
You know, I'm actually contemplating carrying a little notepad if I get a GF, just to covertly jot down particular things she seems to like or hints at liking. Kind of like Bill Murray's information gathering in Groundhog Day, just without the infinite repetition :D

Plus it would also make up for the fact that I'm terrible with dates. I reckon I've got a good chance of getting slapped in the face on a few anniversaries :(

I shouldn't worry too much about dates. I've never really known a man (apart from my dad) who could always be relied upon to remember them! Just make sure you get a laid back gf who isn't going to go nuclear every time you forget and problem solved! :)

I on the other hand wish I could forget! Still know my ex's bday and his dads and our ani and the bday and ani of the last guy I knew. Sigh. I know the dogs birthday too and hes a cuddly toy! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back