What's your sexual orientation/gender identity/expression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your sexual orientation/gender

• Gay

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Queer

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Bisexual

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Asexual of some variant

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Straight

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Transgender

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Gender Fluid

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Rodent said:
SophiaGrace said:
I never knew there were a lot of Asexuals.

I wonder if the majority of the 'graysexuals' identify more with asexuality and vote accordingly.

But I'm not up-to-date on all these contemporary sexual categories anyway...it's all quite blurry to me.

Yeah I do wonder that as well. I may make a new poll in a few weeks to reflect this and see what happens.

Heteroromantic asexual (possibly demisexual/demiromantic and/or graysexual). There's something called sapiosexual/sapioromantic that seems to apply to me as well, lol.

I've also wondered whether to consider myself somewhat agender, demigirl, or at least some kind of non-binary. I don't mind being referred to as a woman, since that's what I technically am; however I don't feel as though I really belong to either gender. I don't feel feminine and I don't feel masculine, I just feel person.

I'm not all that concerned about defining myself though. Usually it's more of a pain to explain the labels. Goodness, so many labels. But sometimes I have to explain, because it impacts the lens through which I view the world and interpersonal relationships. There have been many miscommunications between me and others because I just wasn't viewing something in sexual or gendered terms, and they were.

Asexuality in particular is something I now fear to reveal to people, because at best it has been completely misconstrued, dismissed and denied, or treated like a disease. It's also a word that makes most men shy away faster than anything; they won't even listen to what it means for me. I've been rather severely bashed for being asexual, and threatened with corrective rape multiple times. So I mostly stay "in the closet" about it. I've debated even mentioning it here.

Sorry, long ramble.

Straight-as-an-arrow-womanheat-seeking-missile-meat-phallus-swinging-neanderthal-love-machine-of-destruction...

In other words: vagina good

Solivagant said:
Asexuality in particular is something I now fear to reveal to people, because at best it has been completely misconstrued, dismissed and denied, or treated like a disease. It's also a word that makes most men shy away faster than anything; they won't even listen to what it means for me. I've been rather severely bashed for being asexual, and threatened with corrective rape multiple times. So I mostly stay "in the closet" about it. I've debated even mentioning it here.

While I'm not too well-informed about this - I've only read about the four major types of asexuality once - I find it disturbing that this term could cause so much disarray and havoc. But I can see how it could blow a simpleton's mind to pieces.
'Corrective rape'...goodness. Welcome to the bottom of humanity.

Coming to think that homosexuality is still seen as a disease by a whole lot of people, it shouldn't surprise me though...sigh, people will always be people.

Solivagant said:
Heteroromantic asexual (possibly demisexual/demiromantic and/or graysexual). There's something called sapiosexual/sapioromantic that seems to apply to me as well, lol.

I've also wondered whether to consider myself somewhat agender, demigirl, or at least some kind of non-binary. I don't mind being referred to as a woman, since that's what I technically am; however I don't feel as though I really belong to either gender. I don't feel feminine and I don't feel masculine, I just feel person.

I'm not all that concerned about defining myself though. Usually it's more of a pain to explain the labels. Goodness, so many labels. But sometimes I have to explain, because it impacts the lens through which I view the world and interpersonal relationships. There have been many miscommunications between me and others because I just wasn't viewing something in sexual or gendered terms, and they were.

Sorry, long ramble.

Well you sure seem to have covered a lot of basis....hopefully you can appreciate that it's difficult to have some form of handle on such an array of descriptives... as much as you say you don't have any great enthusiasm for clarifying these terms it would be helpful to maybe at least give some form of overview.....it may help others be able to relate

I wonder if 'writing blocks' on the 'Express Yourself' thread would provide a means of communicating some of what you experience... and this has absolutely no relation to be my being completely desperate to involve others in what I see as a potentially therapeutic outlet

sothatwasmylife said:
Well you sure seem to have covered a lot of basis....hopefully you can appreciate that it's difficult to have some form of handle on such an array of descriptives... as much as you say you don't have any great enthusiasm for clarifying these terms it would be helpful to maybe at least give some form of overview.....it may help others be able to relate

Very well. An overview, as I currently understand it:

Asexual: Someone who does not experience sexual attraction. They may experience other types of attraction, such as romantic, aesthetic, or sensual.

Heteroromantic: Romantically attracted to the opposite sex. Homoromantic = romantically attracted to the same sex, biromantic = romantically attracted to both sexes, aromantic = not romantically attracted to anyone, etc. There are more.

Demisexual: Someone who does not experience sexual attraction towards a person until they get to know them or form a strong emotional bond.

Demiromantic: Someone who does not experience romantic attraction towards a person until they get to know them or form a strong emotional bond.

Sapiosexual/Sapioromantic: Someone who does not experience sexual/romantic attraction to a person unless they consider them intelligent. A highly debated term, I don't even take it that seriously.

Graysexual: Someone who blurs the line between asexual and sexual. To what degree is individual. I'm still deciding whether or not I blur the line at all.

Agender: Basically, genderless. Feeling as though you don't strongly associate with being male, female, or any other gender identity.

Demigirl: Close to agender, but perhaps feeling less strongly about it, or not really being bothered that you are associated with your biological sex. As defined by others: "A demigirl is someone who only partially (not wholly) identifies as a girl or woman. Alternatively, demigirl can be used to describe someone female at birth who feels but the barest association with that identification, though not a significant enough dissociation to create real physical discomfort or dysphoria." 'Demiguy' is for males.

Non-binary: Not fitting into the accepted binary of male and female. Someone who may feel both male and female, neither male nor female, or some mixture in between. Also used as an umbrella term for different gender identities of this type.

An illustration of the different types of attraction:

sketchcomic___types_of_attraction_by_secondlina-d4xwf7d.jpg

Frankly, I've hardly scratched the surface here. I don't know that much on the subject of gender identity, as I'm not all that interested in it. There are probably a hundred or more different gender/orientation terms, most of which I'm not even clear on myself, and many that I probably haven't even heard of yet. More and more pop up all the time. These are just the few I've looked into.

But in reality do not many many people experience overlay of many of these terms...or may experience different quite specific orientations at different stages or even as a result of particular experiences at different times..I personally can't subscribe to a point of view that see's the human condition as a series of static conditions...but that's only my own point of view...but then again my own point of view is something I very much value. 😚

sothatwasmylife said:
But in reality do not many many people experience overlay of many of these terms...or may experience different quite specific orientations at different stages or even as a result of particular experiences at different times..

Yes, that happens of course. Everyone is different, and only the individual can decide what suits them best.

SophiaGrace said:
You know, silly me, I forgot to add cisgender. -_-

Didn't even know there was such a thing until I read about those transsexuals that used the phrase "Die Cis Scum" to protest against their oppression. Cisgender...and I always thought I was just, you know, normal.

I suppose gender identity and sexual orientation are worth two polls anyway...this a whole lot of ground to cover.

Rodent said:
SophiaGrace said:
You know, silly me, I forgot to add cisgender. -_-

Didn't even know there was such a thing until I read about those transsexuals that used the phrase "Die Cis Scum" to protest against their oppression. Cisgender...and I always thought I was just, you know, normal.

I suppose gender identity and sexual orientation are worth two polls anyway...this a whole lot of ground to cover.

Right. Maybe even three polls, if I want to separate all the aspects of asexuality out. I may make a poll first saying "What do you think asexuality is?" and put different options for people to pick. Then ALL can have a discussion on what asexuality means. I'm not 100% certain people here know what it means.

Latest posts

Back