Where are some nice places...to travel alone...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luna

I really would like a nice place to visit where I can book an affordable hotel; lock myself in my room and cry my eyes out; and then maybe wake up and be able to go sightseeing with easy transportation available.

I have the last week of December off...or I could go next year depending on how my plans work out. But really, any suggestions...?

Where have you been...?

Trying to find things to look forward to...gets expensive...how sad...

BC :D

Edit: lol, nah.
I don't really know, i've never really liked traveling.
Sightseeing . . I would only enjoy sightseeing in Europe.

My ideal vacation would be on a cruise :D.

Sean said:
BC :D

Edit: lol, nah.
I don't really know, i've never really liked traveling.
Sightseeing . . I would only enjoy sightseeing in Europe.

My ideal vacation would be on a cruise :D.

I would like to go to Europe as well, but it's all about money.
Maybe Alaska would be nice.

I don't really want to be in an area that's full of families and friends together.
Doing Disneyworld alone...well...it was fun, but...

You can hole up in a hotel room and sightsee pretty much anywhere. It just depends on what you want to see, how far you want to go, whether or not you know any foreign languages, etc.

Since you want easy transportation I'd pick a big city. Cities seem to have better demographics too if you don't want to be surrounded by families or look out of place alone. London is nice. NYC would be fun in late December too.

Wyoming.

You won't have ANY PROBLEM being alone in Wyoming. There is NOTHING THERE.

Scotland. You could stay there FOREVER and still not scratch the surface. Use booking.com for awesome last minute deals on rooms, get a Britrail Pass to save money on trains and take your laptop so you can make reservations as you go! :D
I went with my sister, but I want to go again. I loved it so much that I'd even be content to go alone.

lmao, just realized I sound like a spammer for booking.com. :p

Anywhere alone is good. Are you in America then? Do you want nature or cities? I went all over in the US, I stayed in hostels but I'm dead shy so often didn't meet people and still loved it alone.
What about NY? It was good alone cos it's so big and busy but you can sink into the crowds.
Or vermont if you like quiet nature and not many ppl about?
Oooh, it'll be a bit cold now I suppose but what about big sur - calfornia? It's fai wilderness like.
I second Eve's suggestion abotu Scotland tho you could check the weather and book last minute in case it rains - often snows nicely in winter though. Or what about iceland?
I think anywhere is good alone. More about what you want to see. :)

Hi-
I lived in London for 2 years, that would be a good choice.
I also have the last week in December off! Come to northern California - I'm close to San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Napa and I could show you around Sacramento. For real! :)

Teresa

Sedona, AZ. So beautiful. They had a lot of nice and unique craft shops to visit.

I was going to try this place here But am worried it be full of old ppl :p
Am not the sort to wont to get wrecked out me head every night but I don't wont to be seat with a bunch of 80 year oldie's all week ether.

If you're looking to stay somewhere cheap, look into hostels.

You probably won't be able to "lock yourself in your room and cry your eyes out" because most rooms are shared, though some offer a few private rooms for a little more money.

A lot of people in hostels are traveling solo, so it's a good way to meet people and be social too, while not having to worry about whether or not you'll be "friends" because you'll probably never see them again and there's something comforting about that too. :p

You don't have to be a member -- you just get a discount if you are.

Check it out - http://www.hiusa.org/

Do you want a holiday where you can enjoy being alone? Or one which lets you be... alone in a crowd for want of a better word?

If I were looking for the former in the UK, I'd go to the far north of Scotland. Lots of places to escape from everyone, feel "at peace" and all that. Rugged coastline to make you feel small. It's lovely. I'm sure there are places with parallels in the US. Somewhere in the middle of Arizona/New Mexico? Different landscape, similar ends. Oregon? Foresty type wildernesses?

If I were looking for the latter - in the UK, I'd go to London (simply because I meet people I know in Scottish cities. Actually I don't, but I suppose I might).
I love wandering around cities like London - no-one would miss you if you weren't there, but you're never "alone". Again, I KNOW there are places like this in America. I suspect you don't have to look/try too hard to find them. From my sketchy knowledge of a country I've never been to, I'd say New York, Los Angeles, Chicago. I'd want a "smaller" city to get lost in, as opposed to an urban conurbation type place. Seattle, Boston.

I'm probably the worst person to give advice on holidaying alone. I hate it. I want company on a holiday. I had time and money to go on holiday these last summer holidays. I spent AGES trying to persuade, con and otherwise blackmail friends and acquaintances in spending some time with me. In sunny France with decent wine FFS.

In the end, I went with a fab friend who's since moved away, which is awful. We enjoyed nearly a week of flawless driving on the wrong side of the road :S :p wine women and song. Or something.

This has turned from advice into a confessional. Apologies.[/code]

argosgold said:
Do you want a holiday where you can enjoy being alone? Or one which lets you be... alone in a crowd for want of a better word?

If I were looking for the former in the UK, I'd go to the far north of Scotland. Lots of places to escape from everyone, feel "at peace" and all that. Rugged coastline to make you feel small. It's lovely. I'm sure there are places with parallels in the US. Somewhere in the middle of Arizona/New Mexico? Different landscape, similar ends. Oregon? Foresty type wildernesses?

If I were looking for the latter - in the UK, I'd go to London (simply because I meet people I know in Scottish cities. Actually I don't, but I suppose I might).
I love wandering around cities like London - no-one would miss you if you weren't there, but you're never "alone". Again, I KNOW there are places like this in America. I suspect you don't have to look/try too hard to find them. From my sketchy knowledge of a country I've never been to, I'd say New York, Los Angeles, Chicago. I'd want a "smaller" city to get lost in, as opposed to an urban conurbation type place. Seattle, Boston.

I'm probably the worst person to give advice on holidaying alone. I hate it. I want company on a holiday. I had time and money to go on holiday these last summer holidays. I spent AGES trying to persuade, con and otherwise blackmail friends and acquaintances in spending some time with me. In sunny France with decent wine FFS.

In the end, I went with a fab friend who's since moved away, which is awful. We enjoyed nearly a week of flawless driving on the wrong side of the road :S :p wine women and song. Or something.

This has turned from advice into a confessional. Apologies.[/code]

Confession is good for the soul.... (hello) lol

Yeah if you stay hostels as well then.
the Hiusa hostels are good for when you want quiet cos they're calmer. They're like the official hostels association.
If you want to go all out and meet ppl u could try hostelworld.com or hostelbookers.com where you can usually drink in the hostels and the people are louder. I usually alternate between unofficial hostels then HI hostels when it gets a bit much or I come across too many trendy type ppl in the other ones. It's much easier to meet people and chat if you hostel compared to every day life. Because lke other ppl said hostellers are really up for a conversation about anything and if you get nervous you can just dissapear and not see them again.
Also a lot of hostellers are not all trendy and there are plenty of socially awkward people staying in hostels. Hostels often organise official trips out where a bit of alcohol is involved, so you can get a bit drunk with a group of people without having to break the ice and ask if they want to.

I would agree with Copenhagen. It is a pretty cool city.

In the US, I liked Boston, it was easy to navigate by foot or by subway. Lots to see and do, but pretty cold this time of year.

Did you have anywhere in mind?

Latest posts

Back