Whoooo are you.... who who, who?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedgresham

Writer, Thinker, Trouble Maker
Reaction score
From a rock song.

OK, third try. Deleted two long-winded comments. It's the writer in me.

So, if you're here to beat the monster called loneliness, why are you hiding? Why not reveal enough about yourself, age, location on the planet, gender, so that others can have an idea whom they are speaking to. Do you want a real friend, online or not, to help you through being lonely or are you just looking for validation? Or are you a lurker who gets your rocks off of people who are suffering?

There's no danger in revealing age/gender/country or state, or most of the other questions on the profile. Don't be paranoid.

Am I in the right place, a forum where real people are giving and taking to help each other, or is this just another avatar/anonymous jumble of unknown lurkers playing around. I'd kind'a like to know, and I'd kind'a like to know something about a person I'm in a conversation with, if for no other reason than to be sensitive to their situation, who they are, and the culture they live in.

I'm paranoid. Always have been, don't trust people, etc etc etc.

However, some here know who I am and all that. I would think that since you are asking this question that you would post your own stats to start, yet you haven't. So, why don't you start.

Callie said:
I'm paranoid. Always have been, don't trust people, etc etc etc.

However, some here know who I am and all that. I would think that since you are asking this question that you would post your own stats to start, yet you haven't. So, why don't you start.

I don't trust people either. But to have a friend one must extend at least a bit of trust and reveal a bit of yourself so you appear genuine.

My profile is complete. If it's not showing up I'm not sure what to do. But I have no problem revealing myself. I'm a guy, 54, married, two kids age 10/11, somewhat disabled and unemployed, live in Lufkin, Texas. That's the kind of thing that helps in a conversation. Actually, my whole silly life is online in my Facebook and blog, the one nobody ever visits. But it's there for all to read. Probably kind'of stupid but you know, whatever. I dream of finding that one person in this whole ******* world like me. To that I have to reveal myself. Besides, it makes for some really entertaining reading to the jerks of the world.

you're not the only one with a blog that hardly anyone reads. mines, a sports blog though so its probably not nearly as high-brow as yours.

tedgresham said:
... Or are you a lurker who gets your rocks off of people who are suffering?

I hope you aren't saying that is the only reason someone might be lurking.

RJLJD said:
you're not the only one with a blog that hardly anyone reads. mines, a sports blog though so its probably not nearly as high-brow as yours.

The net is just too saturated for anybody to get anybody elses' attention. I don't post very often but it's an outlet for my insatiable urge to write. Don't really think it's high-brow, though, more like backwoods rambling of a toasted spinach.

Minus said:
tedgresham said:
... Or are you a lurker who gets your rocks off of people who are suffering?

I hope you aren't saying that is the only reason someone might be lurking.

No, of course not, but over the course of more than a decade messing with this... yeah, I need a life, huh... I've discovered there are some rather sick puppies out there and a place where people deal with feelings, etc., is a great place for them to get their jollies off. Ya never know it 'till you're too late.

There is also predators who will lead someone on, usually a guy looking for a girl but could be the other way around. They play the poor bleeding heart until it goes from posts to chat to phone and then comes the real reason.

Some folks are just afraid, I get that, but I'm just sayin...

Yes it would be nice if it was done but some people are just not comfortable with that and i would imagine a place like this may have more than its share of people who aren't comfortable with it. Others of us just aren't that good with social intricacies, or even any social matters as far as that goes.

Minus said:
Yes it would be nice if it was done but some people are just not comfortable with that and i would imagine a place like this may have more than its share of people who aren't comfortable with it. Others of us just aren't that good with social intricacies, or even any social matters as far as that goes.

I understand reluctance but simple age/gender/country/state makes conversation easier. It also helps to understand a situation and get perspective on someone's problems. I can't see why sharing that information is in any way revealing oneself. If you're really too paranoid to reveal that then you should consider that a real hacker don't need that, they can follow you back to your IP and get all the info they want.

tedgresham said:
Minus said:

I understand reluctance but simple age/gender/country/state makes conversation easier. It also helps to understand a situation and get perspective on someone's problems. I can't see why sharing that information is in any way revealing oneself. If you're really too paranoid to reveal that then you should consider that a real hacker don't need that, they can follow you back to your IP and get all the info they want.

A person intent on preying on the lonely people doesn't necessarily equate to a hacker.
As far as age, sex, location goes, that doesn't necessarily make anything easier. I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with anything? Yes, you may be the same age, live in the same place, be the same (or opposite if that's what your looking for) sex, but that doesn't mean that those things will help you connect with each other. I have friends here ranging in age from 16 to 60, however, I'm not either of those ages and none of them live anywhere near me.

Those issues are irrelevant when getting to know someone because it would most likely make you more biased against them because how could a 16 year old person POSSIBLY know what REAL troubles are when looked at by a 60 year old...or going the other way, a 60 year old could be too cynical from life to realize what THEY are going through.

What's important is getting to know someone, whether they choose to tell you their ASL or not. Those things don't matter, what matters is WHO the person is inside.

Callie said:
A person intent on preying on the lonely people doesn't necessarily equate to a hacker.[\quote]
...sure...
As far as age, sex, location goes, that doesn't necessarily make anything easier. I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with anything? Yes, you may be the same age, live in the same place, be the same (or opposite if that's what your looking for) sex, but that doesn't mean that those things will help you connect with each other. I have friends here ranging in age from 16 to 60, however, I'm not either of those ages and none of them live anywhere near me.

Those issues are irrelevant when getting to know someone because it would most likely make you more biased against them because how could a 16 year old person POSSIBLY know what REAL troubles are when looked at by a 60 year old...or going the other way, a 60 year old could be too cynical from life to realize what THEY are going through.

What's important is getting to know someone, whether they choose to tell you their ASL or not. Those things don't matter, what matters is WHO the person is inside.

I disagree. That information helps put something in context. If I tell a story about high school and you know my age then you know I'm reflecting back, not living in it. If someone eighteen or twenty relates the same story it has much more immediate relevance. If you live in England, for example, there is a language barrier, ...what's a boot?

I could go on but all that aside, in the real world when we seek a friend we do not put a bag over hour head, wear gloves and a space suit, talk through an electronic voice changer and introduce ourselves as Buzz Lightyear. We would appear so paranoid nobody would talk with us. But that is exactly how it is online. No first names, no age, no location, nothing but an odd user name. To be honest I am exceptionally reluctant to do more than exchange a few comments with anonymous_i_am. I've been burned and made the butt of a few jokes before. I'd rather not do that again.

It just seems to be a matter of preference and i have heard both opinions stated here before.

tedgresham said:
Callie said:
A person intent on preying on the lonely people doesn't necessarily equate to a hacker.[\quote]
...sure...

I disagree. That information helps put something in context. If I tell a story about high school and you know my age then you know I'm reflecting back, not living in it. If someone eighteen or twenty relates the same story it has much more immediate relevance. If you live in England, for example, there is a language barrier, ...what's a boot?

I could go on but all that aside, in the real world when we seek a friend we do not put a bag over hour head, wear gloves and a space suit, talk through an electronic voice changer and introduce ourselves as Buzz Lightyear. We would appear so paranoid nobody would talk with us. But that is exactly how it is online. No first names, no age, no location, nothing but an odd user name. To be honest I am exceptionally reluctant to do more than exchange a few comments with anonymous_i_am. I've been burned and made the butt of a few jokes before. I'd rather not do that again.

Perhaps, but looking closer to the story, there are clues. If you haven't been in high school for 20 years, you will be reflecting back...BUT, you will also have keywords in there that tells the reader that you are looking back, because you will say someone such as "when I was in high school."

Past and Present and even Future terms all indicate where a person is in life when discussing certain events.

Native American/German
Raised in Las Vegas, Nevada (where I still am).
I've been diagnosed with Shizoaffective disorder and Asperger's
Aspiring writer, philosopher, and human.
I'll answer most any question I just don't know what basic information to provide so I hope this is adequate.

Oh and...When I grow up I want to be a physicist. :D

I find this thread rather odd. Most of the people I know here have at some point posted all or most of the information you're complaining is missing.

nerdygirl said:
I find this thread rather odd. Most of the people I know here have at some point posted all or most of the information you're complaining is missing.

Yes, usually in their welcome thread

FunkyBuddha said:

Native American/German
Raised in Las Vegas, Nevada (where I still am).
I've been diagnosed with Shizoaffective disorder and Asperger's
Aspiring writer, philosopher, and human.
I'll answer most any question I just don't know what basic information to provide so I hope this is adequate.

Oh and...When I grow up I want to be a physicist. :D

Cool.

Callie said:
nerdygirl said:

Yes, usually in their welcome thread

I'm not complaining, just asking. What's wrong with wanting to get to know the people I'm talking to. Why is that such a big deal? The first thing I did here was fill out my profile. That pretty much covers it.

Some people include info in a welcome thread. Some don't. But then some people have been here a long time.

Anyway, whatever, I just asked.

Nothing is wrong with wanting to get to know the people you're talking to. If somebody intrigues you, a great way to get to know the person is to click the user name and read old posts. It's oodles more effective than accusing people of being secretive, and you'll find out way more than you were looking for! Get out there and show a little gumption! :D

Huh? I prefer to feel relatively anonymous.

Seriously, I've already shared basic details about me either through posts or profile info, as many others did.

And I don't feel like adding anything to it at the moment. Other than the fact that I want to throw a snowball into lava one day. Possible to achieve only in Iceland, I think, no?

MechanicalMishka said:
And I don't feel like adding anything to it at the moment. Other than the fact that I want to throw a snowball into lava one day. Possible to achieve only in Iceland, I think, no?

Take me along with you!

Latest posts

Back