Whoooo are you.... who who, who?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nerdygirl said:
MechanicalMishka said:
And I don't feel like adding anything to it at the moment. Other than the fact that I want to throw a snowball into lava one day. Possible to achieve only in Iceland, I think, no?

Take me along with you!
Me too (wary)

There are people here who know me, quite well, in fact. But I prefer to let my actions and the information I have speak for myself rather than any profile.

IgnoredOne said:
There are people here who know me, quite well, in fact. But I prefer to let my actions and the information I have speak for myself rather than any profile.

You're all no fun. :p

I like this idea.

It allows me to better visualize who I'm speaking with and possibly understand their situation. I like trying to complete the puzzles.

I am also, of course, not going to expect someone to do something their uncomfortable with.

And IgnoredOne. That which I have seen of your posts during my brief period here so far speaks in volumes towards your character and intelligence. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

RJLJD said:
the information should come when its relevant context to the given thread or story being told.

If we were dealing with computers then I would agree. But we're not (I think...).

Ted is trying to make this information relevant and get to know the people he's been conversing with better. I'm all for it. I need to come out of my shell and the internet is a great shield for me to do that in this context. Hell if all you put was "I live in Ohio" then someone can say "Hey I've been there it was pretty cool." Before you know it you are more than just some electric acquaintance with a faceless automaton.

We stop dealing with computers and start dealing with people that we might possibly relate to on more than a just a textual level.

Basically...don't hate. Appreciate.

FunkyBuddha said:
RJLJD said:
the information should come when its relevant context to the given thread or story being told.

If we were dealing with computers then I would agree. But we're not (I think...).

Ted is trying to make this information relevant and get to know the people he's been conversing with better. I'm all for it. I need to come out of my shell and the internet is a great shield for me to do that in this context. Hell if all you put was "I live in Ohio" then someone can say "Hey I've been there it was pretty cool." Before you know it you are more than just some electric acquaintance with a faceless automaton.

We stop dealing with computers and start dealing with people that we might possibly relate to on more than a just a textual level.

Yeah, that.

State : Bombay

i work in a financial company. i hate my job. i drink a lot. but i'm trying to get my life in order now. its great to be on this forum.

Factotum said:
State : Bombay

i work in a financial company. i hate my job. i drink a lot. but i'm trying to get my life in order now. its great to be on this forum.

Best of luck and welcome to ALL, we're glad to have you.

FunkyBuddha said:
RJLJD said:

what if i told you that through personal experience that relating to people through this medium doesn't really progress you that much farther?

RJLJD said:
FunkyBuddha said:
RJLJD said:

what if i told you that through personal experience that relating to people through this medium doesn't really progress you that much farther?

Pretty much. Anybody in here ever been to a chat room? People are all, "A/S/L!!" and you tell them, and it does absolutely nothing good. If your ability to form a friendship with somebody is mostly based on such superficial things, I think you can expect to continue to be lonesome.

nerdygirl said:
RJLJD said:
FunkyBuddha said:
RJLJD said:

Pretty much. Anybody in here ever been to a chat room? People are all, "A/S/L!!" and you tell them, and it does absolutely nothing good. If your ability to form a friendship with somebody is mostly based on such superficial things, I think you can expect to continue to be lonesome.
...I don't know the etiquette, should I keep all the quotes or delete some so the post isn't so long?...

I've never been in a chat room. They're impossible for me to follow. What is A/S/L?

For the truly lonely person, or the loner, it seems that people seek one of two things, or both.

Some, on one side, seek to know they're not alone in the universe. It's not alone as in nobody is there but alone as in, "are there any people/any one person out there similar to me." To discover that is a validation and it's enough. If this is the case then anonymous or somewhat anonymous conversations are perfectly fine. To seek validation only allows the seeker to stay mostly hidden behind user names and so forth. They don't seek and don't expect more than the occasional diversionary assurance that they share the planet with someone similar to them.

On the other side there are those who want and/or need more than just knowing someone is "out there." The law of averages says there must be, even if they're rare. But knowing isn't enough. These folks seek personal interaction, friendship, with one or a few people, people they can get to know, talk closely with, and maybe visit or spend time with on occasion. They're not so much loners by choice but lonely because of situations and circumstances and/or their particular personality quirks. To them chats with people behind masks, people who might or might not be who they seem, seems rather empty.

I fall into the second group. I've "done my time" piddling around online. I've had both kinds of interactions, personal and anonymous. Even though I have spent way too much of my time online, and still wind up doing that, I am a real world kind of person. I'm often only on here because there's not something to occupy my time elsewhere or my crochety old main frame is aching and tired from outside work. I enjoy interacting on the forum, discussing things, but my goal is to find that person or few people with whom I can develop a closer friendship. I don't like being alone and without someone to talk with.

So, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I don't so much like going fishing if I don't have a fishing partner. Get my meanin'?

tedgresham said:
...I don't know the etiquette, should I keep all the quotes or delete some so the post isn't so long?...

Generally the etiquette is for you just give an idea of what you are responding to. Most people have already read the previous posts and if they haven't then there is still enough that you can be followed.

tedgresham said:
I've never been in a chat room. They're impossible for me to follow. What is A/S/L?

For the truly lonely person, or the loner, it seems that people seek one of two things, or both.

Some, on one side, seek to know they're not alone in the universe. It's not alone as in nobody is there but alone as in, "are there any people/any one person out there similar to me." To discover that is a validation and it's enough. If this is the case then anonymous or somewhat anonymous conversations are perfectly fine. To seek validation only allows the seeker to stay mostly hidden behind user names and so forth. They don't seek and don't expect more than the occasional diversionary assurance that they share the planet with someone similar to them.

On the other side there are those who want and/or need more than just knowing someone is "out there." The law of averages says there must be, even if they're rare. But knowing isn't enough. These folks seek personal interaction, friendship, with one or a few people, people they can get to know, talk closely with, and maybe visit or spend time with on occasion. They're not so much loners by choice but lonely because of situations and circumstances and/or their particular personality quirks. To them chats with people behind masks, people who might or might not be who they seem, seems rather empty.

I fall into the second group. I've "done my time" piddling around online. I've had both kinds of interactions, personal and anonymous. Even though I have spent way too much of my time online, and still wind up doing that, I am a real world kind of person. I'm often only on here because there's not something to occupy my time elsewhere or my crochety old main frame is aching and tired from outside work. I enjoy interacting on the forum, discussing things, but my goal is to find that person or few people with whom I can develop a closer friendship. I don't like being alone and without someone to talk with.

So, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I don't so much like going fishing if I don't have a fishing partner. Get my meanin'?

I'm not sure you qualify as being very experienced with anonymous online interactions if you have never been in a chat room and are unfamiliar with the abbreviation, "A/S/L" (Age/ Sex/ Location). Perhaps your limited experience, however, is still more than enough for you to personally feel you've "done your time". It's a crazy world out here on the WWW! :p

I sounds as though you've joined our little community with the hope that it would function more as a dating (or other relationship) site. Forums are really intended as a means of interacting the way we do. There are plenty of sites out there set up to specifically seek out members based on criteria such as age and location. I'm sure quite a few of us can point you in the right direction if that's the way you're trying to go.

nerdygirl said:
I'm not sure you qualify as being very experienced with anonymous online interactions if you have never been in a chat room and are unfamiliar with the abbreviation, "A/S/L" (Age/ Sex/ Location). Perhaps your limited experience, however, is still more than enough for you to personally feel you've "done your time". It's a crazy world out here on the WWW! :p

I sounds as though you've joined our little community with the hope that it would function more as a dating (or other relationship) site. Forums are really intended as a means of interacting the way we do. There are plenty of sites out there set up to specifically seek out members based on criteria such as age and location. I'm sure quite a few of us can point you in the right direction if that's the way you're trying to go.

...for the past hour or so I've tried to figure out a cordial way to respond. It ain't happening.

I know what a forum is and how it functions. I have been on plenty of them and in most people are anonymous. I joined this one because I am lonely and hoped to find some fellow travelers, and interact with people who are in the same boat. Just because I mentioned I'd like to find someone who'd like to be more than a friend than some silly user name on a forum or that I like to know a tad bit about who I am speaking to does not mean I have any misconception of what a forum is.

I'm not stupid and I don't have "limited experience." I've been online ever since there was such a thing, and even before, with BBS systems. I've explored just about everything there is to explore. Some things, like chat rooms and online games, seem to me to be a waste of time so why should I know the jargon?

The reaction to my little thread has been enlightening but also somewhat absurd. How about ya forget I ever brought it up.

tedgresham said:
...for the past hour or so I've tried to figure out a cordial way to respond. It ain't happening.

I know what a forum is and how it functions. I have been on plenty of them and in most people are anonymous. I joined this one because I am lonely and hoped to find some fellow travelers, and interact with people who are in the same boat. Just because I mentioned I'd like to find someone who'd like to be more than a friend than some silly user name on a forum or that I like to know a tad bit about who I am speaking to does not mean I have any misconception of what a forum is.

I'm not stupid and I don't have "limited experience." I've been online ever since there was such a thing, and even before, with BBS systems. I've explored just about everything there is to explore. Some things, like chat rooms and online games, seem to me to be a waste of time so why should I know the jargon?

The reaction to my little thread has been enlightening but also somewhat absurd. How about ya forget I ever brought it up.

"A/S/L" hasn't been limited to chat rooms, but I'm not extremely abbreviation savvy, myself. They can be rather mystifying at times! Ah, the good old days when the internet wasn't this crazy set of tubes it is today. I remember sixteen or seventeen years ago, when I thought, "IM me" meant, "I'm me" instead of, "Instant Message me"! (Oh, ROFLMBOOLSHTMSAS [Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Butt Off Out Loud So Hard That My Sides Are Splitting] how embarrassing that was!)

It's really too bad that you didn't try starting this thread out by saying, "I'd like to find someone who'd like to be more than a friend than some silly user name on a forum" or "I like to know a tad bit about who I am speaking to". While the first one does sound a little condescending, at least it sounds almost friendly.

They truly beat the pants off of, "why are you hiding?", "are you a lurker who gets your rocks off of people who are suffering?", "Don't be paranoid." and "is this just another avatar/anonymous jumble of unknown lurkers playing around." Who knows? Maybe that would have had a few more satisfying results, instead of the absurd ones you received.

tedgresham said:

As nerdygirl said, the reaction was probably prompted more by how intolerant and condemning you sounded in your initial post than by anything you asked.

As a side note, i to have been online since the days of the BBS, Fidonet and Relaynet and had no idea what "A/S/L" was when it appeared in this thread.

Latest posts

Back