Why do men cut their hair when they get older?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I saw an older man, about seventies with long hair and I tell ya, he was hot. I thought to myself, he must be making some old woman happy. If ya got it, why not grow it:) Men, long hair is sexy. Hot. Turn on. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Tatts are also on the sexy list...just sayin

Naleena said:
I saw an older man, about seventies with long hair and I tell ya, he was hot. I thought to myself, he must be making some old woman happy. If ya got it, why not grow it:) Men, long hair is sexy. Hot. Turn on. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Tatts are also on the sexy list...just sayin

I look like someone out the Beetles if I let my head hair grow - is that hot too?

Wha...? I will never grow my hair long even if I get old and lazy. And those tats ain't so smexy when you get old and wrinkly.

2uh75zk.jpg

Well, I like both short and long hair really.... I think it's the way the guy carries it? And as long as he keeps it clean and well. Doesn't have to be all neat and tidy.. sometimes messy looks hot too.

Most likely they get a career that requires you to cut your hair.

I love my long hair, but I know it is unprofessional. My adviser has been hinting at me cutting my hair short before going into interviews.

I had very long hair (Close to my waist) until I was around 30, but then I got tired of constantly washing it, drying it and brushing it, so I had it all cut off. I used to wear it in a pony tail most of the time.

I've met plenty of successful professionals with long hair, so I'd just ignore that advisor. Go with what makes you feel more comfortable and confident, because that's far more important.

I guess it's about personal taste.

Me, I don't mind long hair on men if they have a beard ( I loooove beards) but I really don't like it if its without a beard or in a ponytail. Especially on a slim guy. Going off attraction type alone, that would put me off a guy immediately. Maybe its cause every guy I've ever met with long hair and no beard has been a pretentious prick. Please don't think I'm saying every guy with long hair is a pretentious prick, not at all, but I have a funny way of taking certain experiences of people and being wary of all others with the same attributes as a defence. To give another example, every woman I've ever met called Jemma/Gemma has been a total psycho. So now I'm very wary of women called Jemma/Gemma. Odd, but I can't shake it. So my views on this probably are not the best to go on for general reasons lol.

Trying to figure it out generally speaking, It's clear that the majority of people fit into the current typical "long hair on women, short hair on men" type. Whenever fashion has changed to make long hair on men , or short on women, fashionable - its been in a deliberate rebellion or gender challenging way. Like hippies in the 60s, or power bitches in the 80s. So it would make sense that people's natural leaning is towards whatever is the most popular sort of "setup". Maybe its gender stereotypes, or just subconscious personal preferences that everyone has in some sort of way.

So while younger men might wear their hair longer, when they are older they may be more likely to have had experiences to make them more "conformative" to ensure jobs etc.

There is also the fact that as a man gets older, often they simply don't have enough hair to grow it long! My dad had long hair in the 1970s when he was a teenager, but now he is pushing 50 he has to shave his head as there really isn't much left at all lol.

I hate when my hair begins to grow long. It's naturally curly and starts going crazy so I get it cut every 3 months. I get it cut really short.

The answer is two fold( as a guy who had his hair down to his belt for a few years)

1) long hair is a lifestyle not just something you wash in the morning and run out the door with. You have to be committed to taking care of it and spending (sometimes) 2 hours in the morning just to get your hair washed and dried and styled. This may be great if you already wake up early or don't mind the extra work, but if your morning is crazy hectic or you just really hate the hours between 5am and noon with a fiery burning passion( that would be my cue) then long hair just isn't going to work.

2) this is probably most pertinent to your question about older men not having long hair, and something I can answer from my Mother's point of view. Old people(yes any gender) tend to get arthritis in their hands and while washing 3 feet of hair isn't such a big chore for young people, try doing that with hands that hurt after 5 minuets of doing anything.

Though if I had a magic hair genie that would clean and style my hair for me I would most assuredly grow my hair out again. I did enjoy my extra long hair, but it's just too much work added onto a time of day I already want to murder for making me get out of bed during the best part of a dream( and no, the alarm clock never waits till after the good dreams are over).

I'm 24, tattooed, and shave my head. People look at me now and think I'm some Neo-Nazi, which isn't true. I actually had my hair down to my shoulders up until I was 20, but started shaving it because I dyed it way too much and it was falling out in the shower. I'm not losing it now and it's not that thin, but it's so low-maintenance that I actually like it. My dad clings to scraps, but I always said that if my hair starts thinning I'll just shave it, and I have.

I think many men cut their hair when they age because it's easy to maintain and many men experience hair loss. It's rare to find a man in their seventies that have a full head of hair. I miss my long hair, but although I'm still young, I'm never going back.

I wish my hair did something besides sit there and do nothing. The last hair cut i had was in the navy in 1992. About a month ago i cut off about 8 inches. then i priced a hair cut and they wanted 15 dollars.

I had long hair through most of my 20s, and I cut it because it was a ***** to maintain. It was a fun time in my life, but I'm never going back.

My hair and I have an agreement- I leave it alone and there's no issue....yes, it's very much a one-sided arrangement....HOWEVER, when I go see the Little Red-Head Girl at the hair salon they somehow come to terms and for a short period of time (hours at most) there's some semblance of neatness.

But long is starting to have some appeal again....

Latest posts

Back