Can men and women actually "romantically" bond with each other?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Men are actually more emotional than women. It is however stereotypical for men to suppress their emotions. Hence we have insults such as, "quit being a pussy." Rarely will a woman tell another woman, quit being a dick. If anything a woman will cheer her fellow woman on in being more of a man (whether she is trying to move into management or become a CEO). Likewise, women will also tell other men not to be pussies and generally give men with a more feminine constitution a hard time. Ever try to get in with the girls? Isn't always easy.

And then we have situations where crying is viewed as a weakness. Crying may be a good way to get some needs met in a purely human social environment. However, if a large bear has just whacked you across the face, if you can shove those tears deep down into the bowls of the core of your manhood; and, with enough pressure, compress those tears into rage, maybe then you can kill that bear, and feed yourself and the clan.

Romantic love can exist between a man and a woman or two partners. It is an emotional bond that aids deeply in the formation and maintenance of a family unit or partnership. Simply put, some times two heads are better than one. Obviously this doesn't work out very often in modern culture and this is due to many different things. One of the main things that causes love to be elusive, ironically, is that people are looking to marry or life-partner-up based on love; whereas, previously for the majority of human history, marriages were decisions made based on practical things such as money and status. This is why, to date, marriages for money are the ones that last. You have two people who are honest about what they want and stick to the game plan. Most marriages people marry because they love eachother, love as a bonding emotion begins to subside and then the two people find out they aren't who they thought they were and there partner(s) have gone and changed on them somewhere between the honeymoon and a lunch-break at the 9-5.

If there is attraction and you both know what you want outside of love and those wants are mutually beneficial to each other, and everyone stick to the game plan, you stand a chance; but, to love is a risk. To marry cause your father expects 5 cows for a dowry and your husbands mother wants a wife for her son, is to be practical; and, to stray from that course is to be ridiculed and outcast. That's pretty much a non-option. Arranged marriages, though an old practice, often work out; because sometimes the people in life who love us the most, know us better than we know ourselves. They can often see the mistakes we don't even know we will make yet. They know that when we are 40, we will expect shoes to come off before walking on the carpet and that we like onion soup and always will have a sweet spot for it. Of course, that isn't always the case, especially in modern times; but, I wouldn't be surprised under the right circumstances arranged marriages, if even possibly, wouldn't be any less likely to work than old fashioned fishing in the sea.

It's the little things that make up a lasting love; like the many small stones that make up a paved road. Even the tallest sky-scrapers, when compared to what makes them up, are just combinations of many small objects orientated just right to achieve the tall structure. Even the pyramids, though made of huge stones, are made of many of them, in just the right shape.

I think society in general encourages us not to be faithful, not to be married, and to run around lost always wanting love. Some one who is desperate is much easier to market to, than some one is secure and has all their basic needs met. Stable, loving relationships, and stable loving families are a threat to those in power. You are worth a lot as an inmate to those who would seek to profit. You are worth a lot as some one who is single to those who would stand to profit by helping you to achieve your always elusive 'love' attainment.

The Terminator in Terminator 3 lays it out very simply.

Women often say they want a man who loves them for, 'them'. They don't want to be loved only for their bodies. They don't want to be objectified. Which, is all fine and great; but, I think it's a lot like wanting to eat pizza without the fat and grease. Beyonce isn't rocking turtle-necks. It's part of the package. This divorce of mind from body stems, mainly, most likely, from a spiritual/philosophical basic misunderstanding of ourselves as creatures; but, that's a deep topic.

More simply put, we live in a society where, 'sex sells'. We objectify human beings and have words like, 'human resources.' I am not a, 'resource', no more than you are a, 'hot body.' I am not a nice car, a nice place, a nice job, and a fat bank account, and a secure living situation to raise children in, anymore than you are well equipped to give birth and nurture babies.

However, despite those facts, we do define ourselves by the cars we drive, the homes we own or rent, the shoes we wear, the clothes we wear, the phone we own. It's endemic of our culture to divorce ourselves from the reality we won't always admit we are as much movers in as shakers in.

Just as a woman doesn't want you to only love her for her, 'looks', so a man may not want to be only loved for his, 'money'; but, often times, those are the only things either party brings to the table; and, again, often times when that is the case, the relationship works out, cuz both are up-front and HONEST about it, and know what they want.

If you have money, try being cultured, too. If you have looks, try not being an airhead, too. Read a book. A thick book. Both men and women have EQUAL access to dense literature. No excuses there.

We live in a culture of desperate men and desperate women. And it doesn't matter if you are single or in a relationship, you're probably still desperate for something; and that is because, in my opinion, you are easier to control that way. You are easier to be turned into live-stock for those looking to milk cash out of you.

We don't help those in need cause if we do, we fear we might loose what little we have. We can't bring another ship-mate on board cuz all the boats are made for one. We stay away from each other because we fear they might find out we are screaming inside and we might scare them away. We don't want to look stupider than the next person. We don't want to be less physically attractive than the next person. We don't want to be less financially attained or successful than the next person. We are always the version of ourselves that hasn't become whatever we think we would rather be. Yet we are all mostly just amazon buying, facebook surfing, idiotic honeysuckle machines. Ever watch somebody eat food at Walmart? I challenge you right here and right now. Go to your nearest walmart. Buy a soda at whatever damned restuarant they have in there and just people watch for a minimum of 15 minutes. You will feel like you are watching cows grazing. fresia that.

We are all terrified. Or at least, I am.

Meanwhile, the trophy wives and rich husbands are the ones making out like bandits. And, frankly, they deserve too, so long as they can keep fooling us. We aren't cattle. We aren't livestock, and choosing to live a life of domesticated desperation because of our ignorance leaves only us to blame.

I don't have a good job. My life is a mess. I'm a loser and I may not ever figure my honeysuckle out enough to not find myself on the wrong end of a long plank with nothing but water below.

But I gave a good go of it. Could have done better maybe. Was I not trying hard enough? Plenty of people would tell me so. However, fresia that. At least I have a good general idea of the direction my middle finger should be pointed in when the, 'news', speaks, or people speak about... almost anything.

It's lonely; but, it's my life. Desperate like the rest, perhaps; but, at least I have a mind that still works. And fingertips that can still type.

In short. Romance exists and works just fine. The wealthiest people on the planet, though, probably married for at least half-practical reasons, and they want money, power, and control. And they need you to stay in line for that to happen. It's full-speed ahead with no stops and if you give-up they'll throw you over-board.

I do NOT accept the complete line of HORSE-honeysuckle this world is constantly shoveling on our heads. Why is EVERYONE...TIRED, STRESSED, DEPLETED, OVER-WORKED... etc... etc.. It isn't right. Maybe 'that's life'. Well it ain't my life. fresia you and the ship you came in on with that honeysuckle. I may have to put up with it or die; but, at least I stuck my head out and wondered, 'wtf is up with this.'

Dreamers man! ...but I'm not the only one.

TheRealCallie said:
ardour said:
Rainbows said:
Are you actually believing this yourself? "Must remain confident and masculine"? What is this? Binary 101?

It's nothing to do with what I want. I wouldn’t expect a bi woman with your politics to make an honest attempt to evaluate other ideas, given that people like you tend to have a very dogmatic, authoritarian  viewpoints that boil down to blaming straight cis males for everything wrong in society, including restrictive gender norms.   

If you’re a little more open minded however, go look up Norah Vincent ‘s experience as a man in disguise (specifically her attempts to date) https://www.amazon.com/Self-Made-Ma...?keywords=Norah+Vincent&qid=1573523861&sr=8-1

You know, I never really understood why people have such a **** problem with what I say when others have no issue insulting the fresia out of people and/or making assumptions about people they don't even know. 
Granted, on my first account, I did similar, but holy honeysuckle, at some point, you have to reevaluate yourself and ask yourself if it's time to grow up and stop with the childish bullshit.  For all that you (and others) like to call me a bully/troll/shamer/whatever, maybe you should look at what you write.

I'm disappointed. I have never, ever, written anything that is like "blaming straight cis males for everything wrong in society". Never ever have I done such a thing. And I would néver do such a thing. You're making big-ass assumptions about me that make no sense whatsoever. Do you even know who I am? What I even remotely do in life? Literally my entire world revolves around listening to other people their ideas and adapting to other people their beliefs, while working with all kinds of genders, cis males included. 

My issue here is that I just simply disagree with what you are saying. Sure, to a part of society your statement applies. For example, my sister will hang out with people to whom that statement applies, but it's her own choice to hang out with toxic masculinity. Not mine. It doesn't apply to all cases. 

A lot of closest friends (of which a lot are male-bodied), my significant other and I are all identifying as non-binary. I happen to be in a situation where gender politics plays a big role and just, whatever you said there, literally stabbed me into the heart. If my SO wants to cry, he can bloody cry. I don't see him as masculine, I just see him as himself.

A romantic connection is more than just having someone to talk to and confide in. There's a certain polarity between feminine and masculine that makes it very passionate and intimate. With a romantic connection, it feels like there is more and more that you want to expose, in a sense that transcends language. Whereas with a platonic friendship, that line gets drawn a lot sooner.

Rainbows said:
I'm disappointed. I have never, ever, written anything that is like "blaming straight cis males for everything wrong in society". Never ever have I done such a thing. And I would néver do such a thing. You're making big-ass assumptions about me that make no sense whatsoever. Do you even know who I am? What I even remotely do in life? Literally my entire world revolves around listening to other people their ideas and adapting to other people their beliefs, while working with all kinds of genders, cis males included. 

My issue here is that I just simply disagree with what you are saying. Sure, to a part of society your statement applies. For example, my sister will hang out with people to whom that statement applies, but it's her own choice to hang out with toxic masculinity. Not mine. It doesn't apply to all cases. 

A lot of closest friends (of which a lot are male-bodied), my significant other and I are all identifying as non-binary. I happen to be in a situation where gender politics plays a big role and just, whatever you said there, literally stabbed me into the heart. If my SO wants to cry, he can bloody cry. I don't see him as masculine, I just see him as himself.

When someone uses certain phrases and terminology it's usually an indicator of where they're  coming from, their agenda. But if I'm wrong and you're not here to deflect from the issue, you and your circle of friends aren't the majority. Most straight women look for men with archetypal protector/provider traits and continue to even as those behaviours become less relevant in terms of men's role in society. So not wanting to be nasty here, talking to us about breaking down male gender roles is laughable given how little influence socially awkward men have. There's no pressure on women to change their preferences and we certainly aren't desirable enough to effect any change here.

Latest posts

Back