dead

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why everyone feels the need to fix Marigold. Sometimes that's not the right response.

Remember:

Two dead fish. "Why don't we just find your fish!"

(to get this reference, please read Hyperbole and a half in the link that Peaches has provided on page 2 of this thread)

9006 said:
Sorry I do not have any constructive advice.

Unconstructive opinions putting down the original poster?

kay.

a rare occasion where I agree with you Sophia. Admonishing the OP when they're at their lowest is not helpful.

rdor said:
a rare occasion where I agree with you Sophia. Admonishing the OP when they're at their lowest is not helpful.

Well then, the default response that people will tend to give is one that is suggestive for improvements on the OP's situation in this forum, I believe. Perhaps the OP was not looking for certain types of responses, or any suggestions at all... but is there a need to put out your negativity and frustration on others? Maybe once, twice.. forgivable.. but I believe this isn't the only time. And especially when they are trying to be nice? I don't think that is necessary. And in no way am I trying to put OP down or even try to fix her.. I think that the other posters are trying to comfort her the way they know it and it's too bad she didn't take some of it very well.

ladyforsaken said:
Well then, the default response that people will tend to give is one that is suggestive for improvements on the OP's situation in this forum, I believe. Perhaps the OP was not looking for certain types of responses, or any suggestions at all... but is there a need to put out your negativity and frustration on others? Maybe once, twice.. forgivable.. but I believe this isn't the only time. And especially when they are trying to be nice? I don't think that is necessary. And in no way am I trying to put OP down or even try to fix her.. I think that the other posters are trying to comfort her the way they know it and it's too bad she didn't take some of it very well.

I understand that when you are feeling depressed, or perhaps beyond depressed that anyone waltzing in with a rosy attitude, or even just a positive spin on things can rub you the wrong way, or even elicit a hateful or spiteful attitude. That's not an uncommon way to think, act and respond. I'm sure many can relate. But there's also nothing wrong with people trying to help in the way they know how to. Maybe in this case the pain of the person and the help reaching out to them were incompatible, and that's okay. It's still nice to remember that someone was hurting and someone tried to help. There was likely no ill will present. But I would just like to remind people that even though some people here come off as grumpy bastards, and some like loving saints, you really don't know that person until you know them. Don't assume that because people are nice and positive, that they have no sizable amount of pain and darkness in their hearts. Because most of us are here for a reason, and usually it's not what one would call positive. Chances are there are people with much worse problems here, but they don't necessarily choose to show it. There may be people who are homeless, people who have lost their whole family or people who are dying. I think that many people are just trying their best, and perhaps they relate to you more than you can know from superficial interactions.

Edit: Except Lim. He's just a butt.

mintymint said:
...you really don't know that person until you know them.

^This, especially the part about Limlim. But, now I feel like I should give you neutral rep for some reason....

mintymint said:
I understand that when you are feeling depressed, or perhaps beyond depressed that anyone waltzing in with a rosy attitude, or even just a positive spin on things can rub you the wrong way, or even elicit a hateful or spiteful attitude. That's not an uncommon way to think, act and respond. I'm sure many can relate. But there's also nothing wrong with people trying to help in the way they know how to. Maybe in this case the pain of the person and the help reaching out to them were incompatible, and that's okay. It's still nice to remember that someone was hurting and someone tried to help. There was likely no ill will present. But I would just like to remind people that even though some people here come off as grumpy bastards, and some like loving saints, you really don't know that person until you know them. Don't assume that because people are nice and positive, that they have no sizable amount of pain and darkness in their hearts. Because most of us are here for a reason, and usually it's not what one would call positive. Chances are there are people with much worse problems here, but they don't necessarily choose to show it. There may be people who are homeless, people who have lost their whole family or people who are dying. I think that many people are just trying their best, and perhaps they relate to you more than you can know from superficial interactions.

+1
Just very well said.

(Even the Limlim part.)

She may not even read or write anymore on here, as she said herself, this thread is a superficial release for her and y'all are wasting your breath.

perfanoff said:
She may not even read or write anymore on here, as she said herself, this thread is a superficial release for her and y'all are wasting your breath.

Sometimes threads evolve into a different discussion than what's in the OP, and can continue on long after the person who started them is gone. That's an internet forum, for you. Anyway, I don't feel like I was wasting my breath :D

Threads are public, once they're out there they belong to all the users, not just the op. This is communisim! :)

Minty, you say the sweetest things.

It's not my fault that a bag or rocks scores higher than I for the empathy test I took. My standard depression advice is to recommend 4chan, the overwhelming disgust they'll get from there might work like a set of booster cables to the lobe that produces serotonin.

Either that or they'll end up laughing at everything they hate and lose the ability to take things seriously while fapping to Japanese snuff and raptor Jesus memes.

I adminned on a suicide forum.

So what I say is coming from the perspective of how people responded to others on there.

It's vastly different than how people respond to threads with the OP having depression on here.

mintymint said:
Don't assume that because people are nice and positive, that they have no sizable amount of pain and darkness in their hearts. Because most of us are here for a reason, and usually it's not what one would call positive. Chances are there are people with much worse problems here, but they don't necessarily choose to show it.

Yes. I always think this of posters who come here and their reason is..."I'm bored." or they come here and they won't say why they came, they're just, here.

Not everyone will tell you why they are here. Some people will claim it's because they just wanted somewhere to talk.

I always think these people are hiding deep dark secrets, or are in denial. I try to treat them with compassion and help them pass the time while they are here. :)

Minty's right. Everyone is here for a reason.

mintymint said:
some people here come off as grumpy bastards,

*raises her hand* that would be me.

SophiaGrace said:
I adminned on a suicide forum.

So what I say is coming from the perspective of how people responded to others on there.

It's vastly different than how people respond to threads with the OP having depression on here.

Oh wow really? I think that's great. :)
I've always wanted to be a admin or a supporter on those kind of forums.

I can imagine it being very emotionally draining though. I feel that here sometimmes.

Edward W said:
I can imagine it being very emotionally draining though. I feel that here sometimmes.

Yeah I don't go there much...anymore, because it was too triggering for me.

I know for a while this past semester or two I tried to stop coming here because I thought it might help me.

I dunno.

Feelings of nothing or emotional numbness can be a save mechanism in our brains. Its when you cant take more of emotions so your brain decides its too dangerous to feel much. Its completely normal if it is this way and it may change sooner or later, it also depends if you want to change it. Sometimes feeling nothing is better than pain so it can actually help you heal. When youll be ready you can try to change it with help or with yourself if you prefer that way. Human mind is complex and it operates with your command but also with safe like a rebooting or safe mode.

Im sorry if this is not the case as I dont know you, im just a random new guy here who dont know english really well.

If you were dead inside, you wouldn't feel anything, even worry. So you aren't dead inside.

Actually you can feel numb to certain types of emotions only. There are many people who are numb but can feel fear or other types of emotions.

Also you can only have your emotions toned down to a very low level, barely able to feel them. It is all possible. There is no specific diagnosis in anything. Noone is same so everyone have if only a bit but still different and by experience completely different way of perception and feelings.

SophiaGrace said:
9006 said:

kay.

I don't care for this response much. You forget that it takes much more effort to respond harshly than to just disregard a post or comment you do not agree with, if the OP was so "down" - as you put it - then she went out her way to make someone else feel the same, where's the justification? She got as good as she give.

9006 said:
SophiaGrace said:
9006 said:

kay.

I don't care for this response much. You forget that it takes much more effort to respond harshly than to just disregard a post or comment you do not agree with, if the OP was so "down" - as you put it - then she went out her way to make someone else feel the same, where's the justification? She got as good as she give.

No it takes more effort to resist responding harshly than to ignore something that grinds your gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back