Do you guys feel like you are dependent on online friendships?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozcaptain said:
Online friendships have lower expectations -- you're not expected to be there physically, you don't even have to be there at all until it's convenient. I mean, here I am responding to a topic started four months ago.

That alone should be a reason and motivation to seek face to face friends that you can count on. Personally, I would not cut off my online friends but I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and moved away from only having online friends to developing friendships offline. I've been on the net for 14 years too and spent most of my time chatting online butI got no where in life because my chat friends were either far or they don't want to really meet in real life.

Having friends in real life are more challenging and definitely more real. It's not that friends online are not real but like you said, they can just go offline anytime they want and they don't have to get back to you when you are in need. Although we have progressed in terms of communicating with the most advanced technological tools online, you cannot count on an online friend for a true friendship. A lot of social cues are involved when you meet a person in real life and that cannot replace online friendships.

Also, I have found some people that I have met in the real world to be very open and willing to discuss matters of the heart just like the ones online. And you are so happy when you have found such people.

To an extent...yes. I have a few friends around here but there's many days between that I don't get to see them. I live far away from my family as well. I rely on the internet to talk to them at times. I have met some amazing people online, from across the country to my own state. I think it's a great way to interact and you can make it seem more "in person" by webcam/mic chatting as well.

beans said:
Having friends in real life are more challenging and definitely more real. It's not that friends online are not real but like you said, they can just go offline anytime they want and they don't have to get back to you when you are in need. Although we have progressed in terms of communicating with the most advanced technological tools online, you cannot count on an online friend for a true friendship. A lot of social cues are involved when you meet a person in real life and that cannot replace online friendships.

I agree with you. Obviously, it would be more satisfying to be having this exact kind of heart-to-heart conversation in person, over coffee. But the reality is it probably won't happen. I'm not saying that to be negative. The simple truth is that developing an intimate face-to-face friendship requires so many levels of trust and logistics, I can't imagine it happening at life's midpoint (I turned 50). Everyone, including me, is busy and stacked with responsibilities. The occasional social meeting is easy, but watering that budding acquaintance until it grows into a friendship, and then seeing it through to a full-grown, close friendship where I can be saying these words out loud -- it almost seems impossible. Also, I'm a male, which reduces the chances down to near-zero.

So since I don't have the immediacy of a real-life close friendship, I've adjusted my expectations to the slow-motion replies of online friendships. Yeah, it does feel a bit too remote, but, over time, connections do happen. And at least I'm able to express myself.

But here's the contradiction: I actually express myself extremely well in real life. I'm very comfortable in social settings and people seek me out. My problem is I've lost the ability to share any of this stuff face to face. There's a gaping hole in my end of the conversation where my feelings should be, and no one seems to notice the absence. So I'm left with a clutter of light friendships that inevitably leave me feeling disconnected.

Have to be honest that even writing that was difficult.

I think, my honest opinion, people prefer online relationships because of self-esteem, self-confidence issues. Online you can't show your face when typing and chatting, the other person can't see if you're feeling depressed or nervous at that moment you're communicating with each other.

Ozcaptain said:
So since I don't have the immediacy of a real-life close friendship, I've adjusted my expectations to the slow-motion replies of online friendships. Yeah, it does feel a bit too remote, but, over time, connections do happen. And at least I'm able to express myself.

Hmm I am 28 and I was worse off than you. I had no friends, no social life, no nothing. I was lonely as hell. I learned about my mom's friend's daughter who is in her early 20s and also find it difficult to make budding friendships because everyone at her university already had cliques. This is the problem. By this age, everyone already has their own best friend from high school, from work, from their bf/gf/, in-laws, families, etc.

However, I did meet a lot of middle aged men and women through activity clubs because they are single parents or divorced and they are looking for things to do. So from there, one of my friends started to organize out-of-activity meetings like 'ladies night out' or 'casual drinks chat' la di da and over a few more of these sort of meets, some of them started to open up but it always almost takes ONE willing person to start it off. It could be you. And then I bet you one or two other people would also slowly talk about their problems and I swear you'd feel like you're not alone because somewhere out there, you're going to feel like thank god you only have your problems and not theirs.

But it always starts with someone who is willing. That's all.

I had been reliant on online friendships from 2006 till early 2009 or so, when I moved to a new town for the sake of graduate school. Yes, even smart academically-inclined people get lonely which accounts for me being here online as a member. It was still prevalent as a trend although less so after 2009, when I realized that I was essentially antisocial in some ways or withdrawn socially owing to my economic-financial situation and my own shy character, in which I am introverted. I wished that I did not feel as isolated or lonely and even now now that I am in a foreign country (Japan) it can get more magnified as a feeling when I wish I was either in Korea or Canada where I had friends and family. But that said, online friendships are one good way to maintain some links with cool people whom you still miss as your friends. That is, if they still are your friends.

I have a few online friends that I have known over the net for 10 years. I don't depend on them but they have been around for a while and I like talking to some daily.

I don't belive in Online friendships. Associates definately.

Friendship is a far more complex matter. It is not enough to "act like friends should", rather it is a comprehensive consolodation of a shared experience of life in general. Quite plainly - this is hard to emulate online, without focusing too much on commonalities and disregarding differences.

I don't really know how to answer this. Very few of my friends are exclusively online ones, but most of the friends I have in real life talk to me online more than they do offline.

I actually heavily depend on online friendships. I don't have any in reality due to reasons, and my online friends have been more for me than even my own family. I have not of met any of them but they mean everything to me. Sadly they are all gone now with deleting me/busy with reality/stopped speaking to me, but they still mean a lot.

I see online friendships more worthwhile than ones you make in reality because you are bonding with others without them knowing you or even know what you look like. You just know each other by your words and what you want to say and eventually with time and trusting one another you slowly open up more and more about yourself, maybe show yourself to the other and make the bond stronger. And when you do get that close to an online friend despite any distance and such, but you do finally meet I feel it will have such a greater impact and meaning than growing up with a friend all your life.

I'm the same with friendships when it comes to IRL and online. I disappear often, or sporadically go MIA.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't make a good friend... Nor person. I still care. Always do. But I guess it only counts if you can show it.

I'm used to loneliness, so i dont need online friendships to survive in this world. But sure, they are very good. That's why im here.
the problem is that lots of people forget about their real life and live only in the virtual life. There must be a limit between them.
Online friendships can help you to find a real relationship.

Meeting up in person with online friends is an option. I've done it with a few people. Not sure if that has been suggested already. I lack the energy to look through 6 pages of replies lol.

I don't depend on online relationships, however I find them very comfortable. It is easier for me to express my thoughts through writing as I don't think when I speak all the time (which makes for some very stupid moments on my part...)
Still, I have met up with someone from this site. We actually even stayed together (she was a guest in my house). We hit it off really well and it was as if we'd been friends forever. It was a great experience, like a fun weekend sleepover. I'd recommend meeting up with people you've met online. It can be very rewarding.

Never had any luck with online friends. And I only have 3 RL friends whom I get to see once a week if lucky. I tried online friends but I have problems with discussing things. Usually my mind goes blank. I had 2 online friends from the US but they drifted apart.

beans said:
I feel like I do.

And I feel like I need to change that. I can look forward to chatting with people online but I know they won't be here forever and I can't live my whole life on the Internet. Does anyone here feel trapped like me? Like you want to go out there and make great friednships but its just not happening? In the past few months, I've been attending a lot of social gatherings from meetup but I feel like it's not going anywhere. Should I be more bold in my approach? Like for example, a lady tells me "Oh we have a a, b, c group" on Monday, then I don't feel like going because I kind of know who's going already and they're the same people and I feel they are kind of groupie.

Where else can I make friends? Volunteer places are mostly business like and not the friendship type. Tried that too.

What do I do?

I sort of understand what you are getting at. I am more dependent on online friendships/communications, because of my suspicions of people casually meeting me face-to-face. Once they hear about all my health problems, they walk away and don't want to be near me, let alone want to know what they would have to do were I to have a medical emergency.

Gutted said:
Meeting up in person with online friends is an option. I've done it with a few people. Not sure if that has been suggested already. I lack the energy to look through 6 pages of replies lol.

I have done that. But I did it after I knew them and they knew me.

Zenkazu said:
I actually heavily depend on online friendships. I don't have any in reality due to reasons, and my online friends have been more for me than even my own family. I have not of met any of them but they mean everything to me. Sadly they are all gone now with deleting me/busy with reality/stopped speaking to me, but they still mean a lot.

I see online friendships more worthwhile than ones you make in reality because you are bonding with others without them knowing you or even know what you look like. You just know each other by your words and what you want to say and eventually with time and trusting one another you slowly open up more and more about yourself, maybe show yourself to the other and make the bond stronger. And when you do get that close to an online friend despite any distance and such, but you do finally meet I feel it will have such a greater impact and meaning than growing up with a friend all your life.

I tend to agree with this. Because the only person not related to me, that knows about my health problems, is my fiance. She is very accepting.

I love her very much!!!:D

I answered this before, but now I had time to think of it, and now I undestand how true it is the first thing I said.

I am not sure ever if I had "friendship" online. But, a while, to talk to people online, I became cozy with it. And look forward to it.. and put value on it generally, I think.

But now I realize it is foolish to put any sort of value on that sort of thing..because most people who participate in it, they do not. People are fickle, it is true about all people, but especially people when you encounter online. No one takes anything online seriously. So it really is not worth it to do this I think, keep a friendship online.

fox said:
I answered this before, but now I had time to think of it, and now I undestand how true it is the first thing I said.

I am not sure ever if I had "friendship" online. But, a while, to talk to people online, I became cozy with it. And look forward to it.. and put value on it generally, I think.

But now I realize it is foolish to put any sort of value on that sort of thing..because most people who participate in it, they do not. People are fickle, it is true about all people, but especially people when you encounter online. No one takes anything online seriously. So it really is not worth it to do this I think, keep a friendship online.

While I agree 'online friendships' lack something that 'face-to-face friendships' have(being able to see a person's physical reactions when they say something or hear something). Online friendships potentially allow for more honesty the face-to-face friendships.

People are able to 'let their guard down', to an extent online. Because if immediate retribution or rejection were to be the response, they wouldn't experience the pain of a face-to-face response.

Latest posts

Back