Do You Talk To Yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I used to talk to myself a lot but it has come down lately. A psychiatrist once told me this when I asked her if it was normal - "That's natural when you've got nobody to talk to". I kept her words in mind and am sharing with you today :D

That's perfectly natural when you've got nobody to talk to.

if talking to myself in my head is counted then yes i talk to myself all the time, at work, at home, when i want to sleep.. very long conversations with my mind :p

If this thread was titled "Do You Keep A Journal?" the question of insanity would not even arise. Yet, talking to oneself and writing a journal are exactly the same thing.

I've been talking to myself ever since I was a young kid. I guess I like to talk to myself... then again, maybe I just really enjoy talking...

I talk to myself. I also swear to myself under my breath when I'm working on a project around the house. To a passer-by it could be quite shocking. I frequently threaten inanimate objects with death and torture, in addition to killing their families.

Example (vacuum cleaner is clogged):

You F----- Motherf----- Piece of S---, I'm going to F----- Kill you and your entire F----- family!

(while banging vacuum into sidewalk out front, trying to free the stubborn clog)

I am so inappropriate! Seriously.

Yes I talk to myself...a lot.
I also take it a step further when I'm cooking I talk like I have my own cooking show. Or when I'm doing my hair or makeup I talk aloud like I'm making a youtube tutorial.
That's a step beyond normal.

Yes,i sometimes try to rehearse conversations i'm going to have,especially at work so that (bizarrely,to make it seem more natural) i am more comfortable talking to people and don't start stammering when nervous.

I deffo talk to myself, sometimes I have to just argue the inner tension out 😂

ALL. THE. ****. TIME.
As well as answer myself.
I think it's all fine and good.
I'll start worrying when I tell myself some jokes I never heard before 😉

Sometimes I even talk to the equipment in my shop...sometimes customers catch me...they laugh.
I also talk to the things. Once I told ATM that didn't accept my money smth like "Come on, honey, do, eat these little papers, there are really tasty. In your mom's honor" and then saw some people staring at me.

I mostly speak to some imaginary whoevers(friends, enemies, strangers). Does it count?

I also talk to the things. Once I told ATM that didn't accept my money smth like "Come on, honey, do, eat these little papers, there are really tasty. In your mom's honor" and then saw some people staring at me.

I mostly speak to some imaginary whoevers(friends, enemies, strangers). Does it count?
When I answered yes to my doctors question if I talked to imaginary people she followed with "but are they real?". I almost said yes then realized it was better to lie.

I don't really talk to myself, well not very often, but I do talk to cats all the time.

I think I've mentioned this a couple of times before, cats follow me, if I'm out and about and mine and a cats path cross 9 times out of 10 it will start following me, usually all the way home or to my destination.

If I stop, turn around and ask it why, they usually just sit on their hind legs, lick a paw, tilt their head and pretend they can't see me because, obviously, in cat land if a cat can't see you, you can't see it. I had 4 following me once.

I'm not kidding, honestly, this does happen to me regularly.

All the time.
Less frequently out loud than I used to though, thankfully.
I spent entirely too much time alone once.
I think it temporarily made me insane.
Because for about a year after that I would talk to myself out loud in public places and I'd get strange, confused, frightened, and disturbed looks from people who assumed I was on drugs.
In all actuality I was sober.
I was just alternating between being sad, lonely and depressed.
I thought about killing myself a lot in those days.
Pretty much every day, actually.
Because I was in my middle to late 20s and had no close friends around me.
Most people in my age group, being around 34 or so, we don't really have friends, at least not like we did when we were in our teens.
When we were in our teens, the friends that we did have were mostly authentic.
But into adulthood that changed, and in talking to my parents about it I think I understand why that is.
Back in the immediate post-counter-culture era, so 1970s/1980s, and some even up into the 1990's, the people who were 30-ish around in those time periods began to use friendships as a utilitarian approach to work around the logistical and legal conundrum of the socio-economic ladder at the time.
So as kids, my people got the "use your friends" approach from our parents, who did so to get by because they couldn't afford to have us.
And they got that from their parents, who are mostly in their 80s and 90s these days.
But by now the reason why we don't have friends is because a lot of us either don't want to be used like a utilitarian tool because it feels disingenuous, nor do we want to use our friends as tools in this way.
Unfortunately we have to in certain circumstances, but we try to be in the practice of forgiving and giving back from those which we've taken from as a proper approach.
Those of us closer to our middle 30s and up understand the difference between an authentic friendship and a friendship that's based around utilitarian necessities, or what's commonly called a "business friendship."
The trouble is, that even though WE understand this, our parents typically don't.
So the most common argument is that our parents are like:
"Well, as a family we need help that we don't have. So why don't you ask your friends?"
And they don't understand that we understand why that's kind of a messed up thing to do.
It's one thing if sometimes honeysuckle happens in life, and your friends have to help bail you out. That's totally normal.
But it's a totally different thing to abuse your friendships by trying to keep them on regulation to avoid a more properly structured parameter.
And that's the part that they typically don't understand.
So the response to "why don't you use your friends," is:
"Because if you use your friends like tools you will eventually turn doing so into a bad habit, and pretty soon after that you won't actually have any friends."
Or as the old saying goes:
You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

Oo, I chummer away to myself now and again. :oops: Telling myself to get moving and do such and such. Sometimes my brain says about that ''No, just take another 5-10 minutes''. :)

Latest posts

Back