does tv make you feel worse?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i used to be inredibly shy and am now the person i was several years ago,but the one thing that always made me feel worse was television,films etc.i now very rarely watch tv because none of the programs are realistic.in so many shows the shy,average looking person gets the gorgeous girlfriend-which no matter what anyone says never happens.all the so called beautiful men/women have everything they could want-why on earth these tv execs repeat the same crap every show.thank god for travel completely changes your life as you can see the REAL world.my rant over!!!!

They go on the general premise of "rooting for the underdog" and it pretty much works every time because nearly everyone can relate to the underdog. It is also the "American Dream" where anything is possible as long as you put your mind to it. TV shows are pretty much engineered for people to like them by the networks who pick up the shows.

Hell no, I love TV. It takes me away from the dole drums of life and entertains me for a few hours a day, leaving all my problems behind.

Actually. Monk and House makes me feel better.

Smart people who don't have friends.

It makes me feel worse because I feel I get nothing done when I watch tv.

blackdot said:
I miss Monk. I'm somewhat OCD so I loved that show.

Yeah! I'm somewhat OCD as well too.

Honestly, House and Monk have made my loneliness bearable.

AngryKoreanMan said:
I smashed my ****ing 15 year old CTR TV because a power surge blew it out in 2009 and haven't watched a TV since.

Well i guess you live up to your screen name. :D

It is pretty cool when you smash a CRT's screen.

Stay away from the soaps and dramas. Watch science programs instead and you're good to go.

I have a TV, but I never watch it anymore. I have 6 terabytes of video on my disks, all my favorite shows, all the seasons and episodes, over 1100 movies, hundreds of documentaries, and no commercials. I cut the cable long ago and have never regretted it.

Most often I watch history and science documentaries, but I've watched Big Bang Theory a lot lately. I might watch the entire series of Lost, and the Sopranos again in a few months, or Sons of Anarchy again before the next season comes out. A very good British series is Downton Abbey, which I greatly enjoyed, and Boardwalk Empire was really good too. Can't wait to download more of that.

Tonight it's the Empires Special on the Medici and the Florentine Renaissance. I love my video server :D

Actually, yes. Certain films and tv shows do make me feel worse. Lately, I've been into romance related type of films, but that's probably because I try to imagine or something...

They don't make me feel worse, but I understand where you're coming from, it leaves an emptiness feeling when you watch something with a happy ending. Usually films and media try to portray everything to be positive, that everything will solve itself towards the end, karma will get to the bad people, etc.

Lawrens said:
Usually films and media try to portray everything to be positive, that everything will solve itself towards the end, karma will get to the bad people, etc.

Sometimes things do end happily, and the bad people do get what's coming to them. I've seen that happen several times in my life, and even have video of the F5 tornado approaching that hit the last bad people in my life and destroyed everything they owned not long after I escaped from them.

TV is my friend I watch all of the Law & Order programs even the repeats. Big Bang Theory has been a favorite of mine lately. I watch several shows on NatGeo and Investigative Discovery channel. I very rarely watch "happy" shows it depresses me.

TrailerTrish said:
Lawrens said:
Usually films and media try to portray everything to be positive, that everything will solve itself towards the end, karma will get to the bad people, etc.

Sometimes things do end happily, and the bad people do get what's coming to them. I've seen that happen several times in my life, and even have video of the F5 tornado approaching that hit the last bad people in my life and destroyed everything they owned not long after I escaped from them.

Woah! I've never seen karma acting out like that!

Latest posts

Back