Extreme Boredom

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

Reaction score
I wanna know if anyone else is like this. I get....extremely bored at times and don't know what to do. I occupy myself by doing various things. I draw, listen to music, use the internet, facebook, I used to go on AIM but now that I broke up with my boyfriend, there's really no point in that...I blog, I look at videos on youtube, I search random stuff on the internet..etc. But I get bored of things quickly too.

Along with this constant boredom and finding the world boring & dull, I have trouble caring about things. I'm a careless person. I'll try giving some examples. I have random objects on my bed, and I fall asleep with them still there. I don't care if it bothers me, I'm just simply lazy or too careless to put them somewhere else. I have trouble caring about school, even though I know I have to get all this work done, and I know that I don't wanna have to suffer through summer school or extra tutoring, I can't really get anything done. I have trouble caring enough for certain things, and it's becoming quite the problem.

So yeah...extreme boredom and lack of caring? Anyone? O__o;;

Pretty much the same here. I'm still looking for that source of inspiration that will get me out of my slump. Good luck finding yours.

i know what you mean. even when i wasnt bored all i was doing was playing video games. but that doesnt even hold my interest lately.

And I don't even have the people to occupy myself with. I'm gonna start studying on how to drive...that'll be another thing to keep me busy. I just...don't know what to do anymore. Summer doesn't seem to promising to me either. :\

To be bored is to be boring! That's what my parents always told me... Actually grated on me an insane amount, and although it just made me all the more annoyed, I guess it's true to an extent. I get bored all the time though - so perhaps I'm just very boring. ;] But I have had periods of extreme boredom. Keeping yourself busy is one way of distracting yourself, but that's all it is really, isn't it? A distraction. And then when you tire of doing that, you realise you're even more bored than you were before.

I find that I get bored quite easily if I haven't gone out for a while. Sometimes I'll just go out for a walk, or meet up with friends for a change. I don't think it's so much that you're bored of everything in general or don't care anymore - I believe it's more to do with being bored of the same ol' same ol', y'know? Do something you've never done before. Call up a friend and ask them if they want to go camping, or go on a hike, or spend the day swimming in the river, etc.

I don't know where you live or what it's like around there, but just sit down for an hour and make a list of ALL the things there are to do around where you live. Do some research online and take a look at what kind of societies there are, and whether there are any that interest you. Even if it's just going to the local gym a few times a week, you're bound to meet people there. :] I know when you don't have very many friends, everything can seem horribly intimidating and you can never imagine actually making friends?! ...I felt like that two years ago. Literally all of my friends moved to another country for higher education, while I stayed back home to look after my dad. I had absolutely no one left but my parents - no friends or anything. I never went out. I was so utterly bored because I was just doing the same thing, day in, day out. I didn't care about anything anymore. Then one day, I decided to try and get back into contact with an old friend I hadn't spoken to in almost three years. We decided to meet up and hang out for the day, and eventually became best friends. And just because of her, I've met so many more amazing people - it's just taking that one step that opens you up to everything that is really scary.

I wish it was that easy for me...I'm only 16, and being a female, my parents are VERY overprotective of me. It's like they don't wanna let go, they can't bare to watch me grow up. It sucks really, I have basically no freedom. I spoke to my mom about it, and she said all comes with due time, and that when I turn 18, I can do whatever I want. I plan to take full advantage of that. >:\

Well - and I really hope I don't sound patronising at all! - you are still young, and you have so much more ahead of you. :] I know it's frustrating when your parents tell you that it 'all comes with due time' and that once you reach 18 you can 'do whatever you want' - I was told that almost every day. I remember being insanely frustrated when I was 16. You're obviously still at school, right? Well surely there must be some after school classes or societies that you can join? It'll keep you busy, and it will also mean that you'll get more time away from home. And you'll definitely meet more people. :] Especially if you join a society that means something to you, because the people will have something in common with you. Here at University, if I hadn't joined the Theatre Society I would never have met half the people I now spend most of my time with. It is intimidating as hell as first, not knowing anyone... But people aren't always cruel. ;] They will accept you and so long as you walk in with a smile on your face and don't insult anyone within the first five minutes, it will go great. ^_^

Learn tae-kwon-do.

Then you can impress your friends and foil burglars at the same time!

Yeah, school's over now. Just gotta go back on Monday to get my report card and see if I have summer school, which I probably do.

VIDEOGAMES!!!

go to the gym, play racketball, swim laps, take a bike ride to dairy queen and get a milkshake

I also sleep a lot when I'm bored that's actually the most efficient way to pass time

evanescencefan91 said:
VIDEOGAMES!!!

go to the gym, play racketball, swim laps, take a bike ride to dairy queen and get a milkshake

I also sleep a lot when I'm bored that's actually the most efficient way to pass time

Gym, racketball, swimming, bike rides, milkshakes...all of those are non-existent where I live... T~T;; :(

Yea, I get that a lot, for me it's not that there's nothing to do, but I just get bored of the options I have, drawing got extremely boring for me at the moment, I try setting up a routine and it just only makes it even more boring.

Caroline said:
Gym, racketball, swimming, bike rides, milkshakes...all of those are non-existent where I live... T~T;;

Gym = lifting heavy objects. Are there no heavy objects where you live? Boulders? Logs?

Racketball = hitting a little ball around at high velocities. You'll hafta figure this one out on your own, but at last resort you could always use sticks and rocks.

Swimming = Dig hole, fill with water.

Bike rides = I guess this one requires a bike, huh? Borrow the neighbor-kid's bike and use that if you don't have one.

Milkshakes = You have milk, surely. Chop up some ice and put it in milk. Shake it. Drink. Repeat.

Well, I hope I've helped to poke some holes in your boredom here.

Remember; a creative person will never be bored! :D lulz

Caroline - as you say, things like listening to music and watching YouTube videos don't really fill that hollow void of boredom.

I find that I'm least bored when I'm doing one or both of these things:

1. Doing something creative, expressing yourself in some form of art. I play the acoustic guitar - a beautiful instrument, relatively easy to learn. You mentioned that you draw - why not try focusing on that? And why not post some of your drawings on a web forum? I don't know how accomplished you are as an artist, but whatever your skill level, there will surely be places on the web where people with similar skills will be sharing their work and commenting on the work of others.

2. Having a long-term hobby/project. The problem with things like watching YouTube videos (or even movies) to pass the time is that they're so short-term. You mentioned that you're going to learn how to drive - excellent! That's a great project, relatively long-term, and you'll end up with a valuable life skill. Having an enjoyable long-term project (ie. taking many weeks, or even months, to complete) gives you something to focus on, and a reason for getting out of bed in the morning.

If you're "finding the world boring & dull", try watching a few of these Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, which give me an overwhelming feeling that the amazing planet we live on is anything but dull!

Hope that helps :)

Latest posts

Back