Extrovert and Introvert..Can it work?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, they say opposites attract but if I was going out with a loud party animal the relationship wouldn't last long. I'm an introvert btw, if you didn't get that from what I just said. :p

In my view, it depends on how much of an introvert or extrovert they are. If they are both at extreme ends of the scale, it may be difficult to accept each others needs, but generally speaking, it can work as long as the couple understand one another.

I lived with, and loved, a pens-in-the shirt pocket, short sleeved shirt and tie, introverted, IT Ops guy - for many years.

I am more extroverted.

I made all the sacrifices and adjustments, because he apparently couldn't, and because I loved him.

In the end, I simply could not 'compromise' any longer - it was as if I was being dragged alive into a machine that would ultimately grind me to a pulp. I pulled myself out of it, losing part of me, but surviving.

If anyone is involved in a relationship with someone so different, be sure that it is both of you who compromise. If it is only one of you it isn't compromise, it is subjugation.

I imagine it does sometimes. I am introverted myself and can't say that's what I am looking for. I just don't think I would be able to take it.

In theory it may be an ideal match.
However, grey is the tree of theory and green is the tree of life, as they say.
So it depends on every and each case. I think...

To an introvert, an extrovert can be the ideal mate. After all, an extrovert is naturally social and energetic, and can serve as a kind of guide to entice the the introvert out of the cave and into more social situations. That is, if the introvert isn't paralyzed by fear and anxiety.

That being said, I agree with Jag regarding compromise. There must be a balance in every relationship, or resentments build to a boiling point and ultimately lead to unpleasantness.

I think it's possible to work. I'd think that compatibility lies more between personalities - what one likes and dislikes about the other person. An extrovert may not have a problem with their partner being introvert. Some might find it boring.

Do anyone think that gender is a factor in this? Most web pages I have read which deal with this issue assume that the woman is the extrovert and the man the introvert. What if it is the other way round? Does it cause more difficulties for a couple if the woman is the introvert and them man the extrovert? I am an introverted female and feel that gender does come into it, to an extent.
For me, an extrovert is easier to get to know initially as he will not leave me to carry the conversation alone, but ultimately I think I would feel happier with an introvert, as he would understand that I need some time alone each day. Also most introverts can self entertain, so I wouldn't be pressurised to be an entertainer.

Tiina, I'm an extrovert and I once dated an introvert and at the beginning it was fun. But her low self esteem (her reason why she was an introvert) just became too unbearable.

No matter how much I told her she was pretty, told her she was smart (she actually was quite smart), told her she had a great sense of humor, how kind she was, etc. She would always reply with a negative comment saying I was wrong or she wasn't what I just said she was.

And like you said, I did carry a lot of the conversations and I did give her a lot of alone time because that was just the way she was...plus, she loved to read.

Anyway, I broke up with her because I just couldn't take it anymore. It's a shame because other than her low self esteem she was a great person. I do miss watching movies and television with her because of the way we would get to laughing and making fun of certain celebrities. Haven't had that with anyone before or since.

Latest posts

Back