How can I hate the British less?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a thoroughly English gentleman, bastion and a scholar. I said bastion, not bast...

Moving on, I recall days of living in the United States, and having people randomly approach me in the street, wanting a photograph with the "English guy". Often followed by a request to say something such as "banana", or asking whether I knew the Queen.

Following my move to the West Coast, this activity became much more subdued. However, much fuss remained about the "English guy" Although the emphasis seemed more focused upon gaining from association.

Much as it Is against my principles, our American cousins do appear to enjoy being verbally berated and abused in a natural English dialect.

If course, for clarity, this was twenty years ago, or thereabouts. I left, had a daughter, and never went back. However, I do love America. The space, freedoms, diversity, and those epic sunsets.

My accent has gotten me more than a few free drinks and sometimes a wee bit more on my travels people do seem to like it,

Folk do assume we are all personal acquaintances of the Queen tho, bizarrely an American once asked if I knew Larry Grayson?!?

My accent has gotten me more than a few free drinks and sometimes a wee bit more on my travels people do seem to like it,

Folk do assume we are all personal acquaintances of the Queen tho, bizarrely an American once asked if I knew Larry Grayson?!?
Well, he was a Queen.

I'm British. I've been married to an American, engaged to an American and just broke up with an American. I imagine that this annoys the thread starter no end... I get more enjoyment from that fact than I should :LOL:

I'm British. I've been married to an American, engaged to an American and just broke up with an American. I imagine that this annoys the thread starter no end... I get more enjoyment from that fact than I should :LOL:
I'm an American. You sound perfect. The timing is right. Lets go out. We can talk over crumpets. Ha! ha!

Is this how one can stop hating the British? :p
{I just came here for the comments... :ninja:}

I just randomly found this old thread on it, and commented on it because I thought it was ridiculous.

I never hated them in the first place...but those methods of thinking about the accents and fantasizing about Lucy works for me :p

Last edited:
I watch British TV almost exclusively. Tony Robinson, Lucy Worsely, Alice Roberts, Suzannah Lispcomb, etc. They often have fabulous documentaries and their news has a spin unlike American news. Plus, they seem to care more about the rest of the world than America does. Most of my global news comes from the BBC. Somehow I have managed to collect enough insanity to even enjoy watching Prime Minister's questions on the UK Parliament channel, though I enjoyed it much more when John Bercow was speaker. The English also share many of the historical atrocities of Americans as well. As John Adams apparently told King George III, "we share kindred blood." Sure, there's plenty to hate about the British and the Americans. So why be prejudiced against Americans? Why not hate them too? While you're at it, read up on history. You'll find plenty to hate. In the meantime, I'm going to watch some documentaries, but I'll probably eat Japanese food with it instead of the standard British fare. I might hate British food. Some Brits I've known have shared the same hatred. See? Kindred blood!

Latest posts

Back