How do you listen to music?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nghtrain36

Reaction score
I bet I already know the answer to this for most people. MP3 and earbuds right? Now here's the second question: Am I the only person on Earth that still uses the classic portable CD player? I notice everyone at my school has some sort of Ipod or MP3 or something like that, except for me.

I stick with the CD mainly because they're more reliable and better quality. One of my friends actually gave me this topic basically after he told me to "get with the program" and get an MP3. I decided to handle the dispute my way. I basically swapped the cords between our listening devices and our outputs and he IMMEDIATELY noticed a significate increase in quality. Now I use a very expensive set of headphones and even with their high quality his MP3 sounded like absolute crap! And this was pretty good metal too! It was very garbled and distorted. He said it was the same song but I couldn't believe it. Any irony there? How my little relic of a listening device could best his MP3? I tried this with 3 other friends and it ended up the same. I don't know if my headphones messed with the sound but I know that I noticed a decrease in quality. Also am I one of the few people that still use headphones?

I love headphones, they're better quality and alot more comfortable. Earbuds hurt my ears and sound terrible for me (could just be me maybe?). Granted they are alot bigger and alot more bulky but when I hang them from my neck they weigh basically nothing. Not to mention that with a hoodie I can conceal my headphones to make it look like they're not even there. I walked around my school with my headphones hidden and not one person noticed the headphones I hid within my hoodie.

Now remember that this isn't an argument at all. I just want to see if there's anyone out there who can relate. Or maybe come up with a valid reason why earbuds and MP3s are better (without necessarily arguing about it...)

Oh and to put up a final topic of interest for music, I also tend to listen to trance (techno in broader terms). Love it all the way, and it sounds just amazing with my headphones on. You can post whatever kind of music you like. I want to hear the opinions of others! Feel free to post what you like!

Haha. You hit post reply twice. Just teasing.

I listen to MP3 with a Bose over-the-ear headset. I use over-the-ear because I have small ear holes, and the kind that fit in your ear like Shure that allows for good bass kept getting pushed out.

CD format, if I'm not mistaken, is the best audio format available. I just listen to mp3's because of the convenience. I use music to manage my ADD; so having constant, quick access to a lot of music is helpful.

i feverishly scan through youtube, seeking illegally uploaded videos, and watch them, only after threatening death to vevo for the commercials

Mary Mary said:
Haha. You hit post reply twice. Just teasing.

I listen to MP3 with a Bose over-the-ear headset. I use over-the-ear because I have small ear holes, and the kind that fit in your ear like Shure that allows for good bass kept getting pushed out.

CD format, if I'm not mistaken, is the best audio format available. I just listen to mp3's because of the convenience. I use music to manage my ADD; so having constant, quick access to a lot of music is helpful.

I've heard alot about music being used for stuff like ADD before. I suppose convenience would be crucial in that kind of situation. Pretty cool what music can do for a person!

davyjones said:
i feverishly scan through youtube, seeking illegally uploaded videos, and watch them, only after threatening death to vevo for the commercials

HA! I do the same thing. I get my music through "legal" Youtube converters. Just use that and convert it to whatever you want to listen. The only problem is the commercials but they aren't always there. Just on the popular ones. Except that some of the music corperations are going around copyrighting videos. Oh well, at least most of the music is still there...

i usually listen to music in my droid. works fine for me.

btw i love trance. you should pm me some of your favorite tracks and trance artists :D

A Desolate Soul said:

btw i love trance. you should pm me some of your favorite tracks and trance artists :D

What artists would you recommend for trance?

Mary Mary said:
A Desolate Soul said:

The best way to search for good trance is usually through a Youtube search. Just type in trance and usually you'll find something good. I recommend starting off with like Basshunter or DJ Splash. Then scroll from the recommended videos. At least that's my tactic...

Nghtrain36 said:
Mary Mary said:
A Desolate Soul said:

The best way to search for good trance is usually through a Youtube search. Just type in trance and usually you'll find something good. I recommend starting off with like Basshunter or DJ Splash. Then scroll from the recommended videos. At least that's my tactic...

I'll try it. Thanks!

I love metal - death metal, black metal, folk metal, thrash, and I listen to it with headphones. I can't do ear buds because they irritate my ears. I use MP3s on my computer and buy good quality headphones. The music sounds amazing. But quality is definitely the way to go when it comes to the means by which you listen. If you can invest in a good sound system, that's prolly the best way to go. If you ever decide to try MP3s, get recordings that are 320kbps if possible. Don't settle for anything less or it will sound craptastic. It will take up more space on whatever you use to store them, but it's worth it.

I hope this helps.

Stephanie said:
I love metal - death metal, black metal, folk metal, thrash, and I listen to it with headphones. I can't do ear buds because they irritate my ears. I use MP3s on my computer and buy good quality headphones. The music sounds amazing. But quality is definitely the way to go when it comes to the means by which you listen. If you can invest in a good sound system, that's prolly the best way to go. If you ever decide to try MP3s, get recordings that are 320kbps if possible. Don't settle for anything less or it will sound craptastic. It will take up more space on whatever you use to store them, but it's worth it.

I hope this helps.

I like the good metal. I'm more preferable to trance but I still listen to speed metal every now and again. And I can't use ear buds either, my deformed ears don't like them and the never stay in so I either have to shove them in or hold them in. I do have an insane stereo system hooked up to my TV so when i want to listen to my music at home then that's the way to go. Not kidding, my bass has shattered a window before. I doubt if I will move on to MP3's but if I do I'll be sure to take your advice. It's better than anything my common sense could offer me when it comes to them.

Stephanie said:
Define good metal. :p

That's fairly broad for me. I'll listen to anything from Avenged Sevenfold to Dragonforce to Judas Priest. Anything between there I would probably define as good. Oh and I delve a little into death metal as I used to (and occasionally still do) listen to All That Remains. I'm not too picky with my metal. I mainly look for good riffs and good vocals in my metal which has me leaning towards speed metal.

Generally listen to stuff on my computer, Winamp and creative speakers setup. I do have a portable player, with variety of earplugs or whatnot. Generally listen to it each night with SleepPhones so's I could get some modicum of sleep. Still, the best I can get with my current gear is putting a FLAC album on the computer.

Bread said:
Generally listen to stuff on my computer, Winamp and creative speakers setup. I do have a portable player, with variety of earplugs or whatnot. Generally listen to it each night with SleepPhones so's I could get some modicum of sleep. Still, the best I can get with my current gear is putting a FLAC album on the computer.

That's one way to go at it, but I've never heard of using external speakers for a computer. Personally i would think that headphones or earbuds would be better as I don't see too many good computer speakers. You're also one of the first people I've seen that uses SleepPhones. I've thought of picking up a pair but instead I bought my Reverbs. Close enough eh?

Nghtrain36 said:
That's one way to go at it, but I've never heard of using external speakers for a computer. Personally i would think that headphones or earbuds would be better as I don't see too many good computer speakers. You're also one of the first people I've seen that uses SleepPhones. I've thought of picking up a pair but instead I bought my Reverbs. Close enough eh?

I thought it was fairly common to have external speakers. I think movies, at least, lose a lot with headphones and the like- my current setup always seems the right choice when there's rain, thunder roll or something similar in the movies. "Big bada boom." :p

As for SleepPhones, been plagued by bad sleep and the like for more than a year, now, so I was ready to try anything, really. Better than earbuds, which always woke me up when I turned to sleep on my side. The only bad thing about SleepPhones is that they don't do as much to block out outside noises as buds that'd near-completely block the ear canal. If they did, they'd be perfect. :D How's the Reverbs? Curious now, never heard of them before and Google search didn't come up with the right stuff due to the generic name.

Bread said:
Nghtrain36 said:

I thought it was fairly common to have external speakers. I think movies, at least, lose a lot with headphones and the like- my current setup always seems the right choice when there's rain, thunder roll or something similar in the movies. "Big bada boom." :p

As for SleepPhones, been plagued by bad sleep and the like for more than a year, now, so I was ready to try anything, really. Better than earbuds, which always woke me up when I turned to sleep on my side. The only bad thing about SleepPhones is that they don't do as much to block out outside noises as buds that'd near-completely block the ear canal. If they did, they'd be perfect. :D How's the Reverbs? Curious now, never heard of them before and Google search didn't come up with the right stuff due to the generic name.

Well I never watch movies off my computer (well my laptop...) so I guess that could be why I never use speakers. And wouldn't earbuds hurt if you laid on your side with them? They'd probably try shoving themselves further into my ear for me, don't know bout you though. The Reverbs are made by Wicked Audio by the way. They're about $30.00 (but for me I got them for 20 at a sale) and they might be hard to find as they're not very well known. Still pretty high quality, very high quality! They're Circumaural headphones also, I don't know if all this info will help but try the search again with the info. You might find them. Which if you have like an F.Y.E or some sort of music store nearby you might find them there.

Latest posts

Back