If you could change one thing about social etiquette, what would you change?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny196775Again said:
i hate hand shakes and having to wear clothes.

I'm with you on this.. ^^^

also I think it should be acceptable to burp and yawn when needed...those are hard to stop when they come on!

I think it should be more socially acceptable to fart unhindered whenever the wind strikes, rather than being forced to restrain this impulse under certain circumstances. As some apathetic to most elements of life this is an issue I am rather disproportionately passionate about. I believe that farthing is a natural bodily function that no man should be conditioned to live in shame of. This conviction only adds to my already burgeoning success at parties.

I would change the idea that males have to be confident ALL THE TIME. I would make it acceptable for males to still be considered males without having to be "cool" or "tough". I would make it acceptable that males do not have to always be competitive. I would make it acceptable for males, especially straight males, to like things that are considered feminine without being called "sissies" or worse. I would make it acceptable for a male to be able to say he doesn't have all of the answers, and not lose his masculinity for it.

TheSkaFish said:
I would change the idea that males have to be confident ALL THE TIME. I would make it acceptable for males to still be considered males without having to be "cool" or "tough". I would make it acceptable that males do not have to always be competitive. I would make it acceptable for males, especially straight males, to like things that are considered feminine without being called "sissies" or worse. I would make it acceptable for a male to be able to say he doesn't have all of the answers, and not lose his masculinity for it.

Um, I don't know what world you're living in, but yeah, that stuff is already okay....

TheRealCallie said:
TheSkaFish said:

Um, I don't know what world you're living in, but yeah, that stuff is already okay....

In theory, yes. In practice, not always. Males who don't conform to the stereotype of what a man should be still get mocked and judged all the time. It's gotten less over the years but it's still far from universal.

TheSkaFish said:
TheRealCallie said:
TheSkaFish said:

In theory, yes. In practice, not always. Males who don't conform to the stereotype of what a man should be still get mocked and judged all the time. It's gotten less over the years but it's still far from universal.

Well yeah, it does happen, but hell, the KKK is still around and Nazis and Eugenics (lol HA HA HA HA) and all that honeysuckle. But I don't feel it's the norm anymore. If it is where you are and who you are hanging around, perhaps a change of scenery and people would show you differently.

TheRealCallie said:
Well yeah, it does happen, but hell, the KKK is still around and Nazis and Eugenics (lol HA HA HA HA) and all that honeysuckle. But I don't feel it's the norm anymore. If it is where you are and who you are hanging around, perhaps a change of scenery and people would show you differently.

Nope, not with who I am hanging around. But, from my perspective, it is definitely still prevalent in the culture of modern America. I do still feel it is the norm. Sure, it's better now than it was even in the '90s which to me still doesn't feel like that long ago. But it could stand to be better if you ask me.

Anyway. This is what I would change about social etiquette.

I'd like to see handshakes replaced by oriental style bowing. It's more hygienic and one could demonstrate one's level of respect by the depth of one's bow. Insincere or hostile handshakes can be limp, too crushing or to my particular annoyance, the practice of grasping the other person's four fingers without clasping hands palm to palm. Bowing is so much more civilized.

Latest posts

Back