My Dog Just Died - How to deal with it.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxWagor

Reaction score
Her name was Sophie. Last Friday we took her in and she had Pyometra. She had never been spayed. She said we would have to have emergency surgery on Monday after keeping her on some pills. THe surgery lasted an hour and a half. Her uterus was all twisted up inside her, and the surgery was successful. We were going to get her at 5:30. She died around 2. The vet said that she walked by to check on her, and her head was down. She lifted it, she took one last breath and then died. I'm so sad I don’t even know what to do.. I’m crying so hard. To think that just this morning at 9 I saw her and now she’s gone. I don’t know what to do..

That's terrible news. I love animals, and I'm sad to hear about what happened to Sophie. I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

MaxWagor said:
Her name was Sophie. Last Friday we took her in and she had Pyometra. She had never been spayed. She said we would have to have emergency surgery on Monday after keeping her on some pills. THe surgery lasted an hour and a half. Her uterus was all twisted up inside her, and the surgery was successful. We were going to get her at 5:30. She died around 2. The vet said that she walked by to check on her, and her head was down. She lifted it, she took one last breath and then died. I'm so sad I don’t even know what to do.. I’m crying so hard. To think that just this morning at 9 I saw her and now she’s gone. I don’t know what to do..
Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's one of the most terrible feelings in the world, to loose your best friend, your most loyal best friend. I know that feeling too well. The pain won't just go away, and actually it never does. You just learn to live with it and it becomes easier to deal with. I had two rottweilers whom I adored! They were my life-savers, my best friends. After 15 years, they become sick and Zeus was the first to pass away. I was heart sore and depressed but then I still had Apollo to look after and he felt her loss too. After Apollo passed away about 8 months later - I was devastated! I went into a depression and had to be put on medication. I just could not accept it! I prayed a lot and finally a calm and peaceful feeling started coming over me, I realised that they are in a better place and pain free. I realised that it's best for them to have passed away then to have them in constant pain.. I believe that God took them away to give them a pain free life elsewhere.
That is what you should try to keep in mind. Think of your doggie first and it will become easier. It won't happen over night but you will get there.
Another thing you can do is perhaps get yourself another doggie because if you are too busy taking care of another puppy, and putting your heart and sole into this other puppy, it also helps the pain.
My Vet actually suggested that I get myself another dog because unfortunately us, dog lovers, can't just get over a loss like that. I refused to get rottweilers as it was just too painful, although my boyfriend at the time got us two little boston terriers. At first I did not know how to even approach them because of the pain I still felt and these were small doggies so I was not use to them. But because I'm an animal lover - I was soon taken to them and it's now two years down the line and I'm still missing Zeus and Apollo and I still have my moments when I break down and cry but having these two little brats :) makes it so much more easier!
So hang in there and perhaps think about getting yourself another puppy to love. You are obviously a dog lover too and you have so much to offer another doggie. God bless xx

MaxWagor said:

Sorry about that, people with dogs (And pretty much all animals) can form such a strong emotional connection to it, and when they die, it can literally be like a member of the family has gone.

I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do, it will be something that will go over time, or at least, it will get easier.

Im so sorry Max. I know how painful it is to lose a loved one. While it helps to eventually get another pet, sadly for now only time can heal. Talk to us whenever you need to during this hard time *hugs*

Sorry to hear about your loss. Over the past - nearly - two years I've been here, I've had to deal with that as well. It's hard, especially if you spent a lot of time with your loved pet. (hugs)

Sorry to hear about the loss of your canine friend. People underestimate the significance animals can have in people's lives. I do know how you feel having been through the pain several times with my cats.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it.

Oh dear, Max. :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Hope you're holding up all right. *hugs*

Thank you all very much. Today is a lot better and easier. I am just busying myself as much as possible.

I'm so sorry :( I'm glad she got to be with you at the end, for what that's worth.

There's nothing that can really help, I think. We've always been very attached to our cats and when they die it can get really, really rough. I still miss Dork, the last cat of ours who died, but me and my mom were with him when the vet put him down (he had advanced kidney failure and he was suffering). I still miss him sometimes! But you know, I'm glad I got the chance to meet him and I'm glad we were with him in the end. He is buried in our back garden.

so very sorry, your pain is fully justified, I guess there is nothing to do but wait. When my beloved cat passed away, at the ripe age of 20 so it was kind of expected, it was helpful for everyone involved to have a funeral, actually she was buried in a garden (I suspect that is against the law, but, well), and we still talk about her and things she did.
I think some pets are just like another member of the family, sending you hugs.

I'm so sorry about Sophie :( Condolences on your loss, it would have been horrible to lose her at any time, but that was so sudden :( I'm sure she had a very happy life with you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets can really get attached to us, even more so than people.

As a first-time dog owner, I dread the day THAT happens, though I know it's inevitable, so I'll just try to enjoy every moment with my pet.

Oh poor Sophie....

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Have you thought of doing something in her memory? It could be something like planting a garden or planting a tree, or something simple like making a scrapbook. Take your time, be thankful for the joy she brought to your life.

I know of some people who really wanted to take their time before re-introducing another pet into their lives, and others waited a few weeks before they found another.

I have 4 dogs in my life until I decided not to take in anymore. The first one is a wild puppy who simply walked into my door when the gate is open, asking for food innocently, even though she can't speak. It is an abandoned dog as it is a female, nobody wants female for a pet here, all prefer male. Eventually most of my dogs come in wild and abandoned. Parting with my last one is the most difficult. Unlike the others who have lived quite a long life, she die early, yours remind me about that, the same, problems with her uterus.

Parting with your pet always come difficult. You are a first timer, I have already dealt with it 4 times. It is a very long time since my dogs died, but the memory will never fade away. It is not possible to fade away, after those days of having the most honest, loyal and sincere animal in the world as my companions, the impression is printed in my head that makes me feel a bit warm and a bit grief at the same time, every time I thought about them.

I always have a habit of taking pictures with my dogs, whenever I want to see their faces, I took out the album and look at them. The picture when they came as a puppy, when they grew up as an adult, and finally gets old. Parting is always the most difficult, there is nothing can be done, it is already expected it will happen one day, but the memory will never fade away. That's the best gift my dogs have given to me.

Hope you will find your way.

Latest posts

Back