oikophobia

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I have developed a crippling fear of appliances. oikophobia apparently is fear of home surroundings and I suppose I am not afraid of my couch, my microwave, etc. But I am unable to use my dishwasher, really having a hard time making myself purchased a washer and a dryer and almost never use my oven.

The thing is.. I am really more afraid of the appliances failing. And especially with regard to a dishwasher, washer or dryer and or, my heater, this seems to happen a lot and can be super devastating.

Also, I feel like I would be happier if I had a better way to control these things... ie, if it seemed to be failing (water not draining) there was an easy fix. But there never seems to be and lately appliances are so crazy complex.

I feel this might be a loner / lonely person type of problem because there is no one around to "spot" me. If my washer fails in the basement, there is no one to call me and say, hey, I don't think the washer is working right. I could just come home to a flooded basement. I feel like appliances aren't made for single people because they fail constantly.

Anyone else?

I understand. I don't have it to that extent, but apliances have caused me alot of anxiety since I have been single. I have cried at one breaking, at knowing how hard it will be to sort out.

I am on my own and have fewer appliances than most people I know, and part of this is-now I come to think of it-out of fear they will go wrong and then cost too much to fix, flood the house etc. Also, they would be too expensive for me to buy in the first place. Have never had a dish washer, I don't have a washing machine or tumble dryer (but I do have a spin dryer which I use after washing my clothes by hand), and I have a cheap halogen heater which I could afford to replace and which costs less to run than other forms of heating.
For your situation, I would say that when you use the washing machine or dishwasher, only use them when you are staying in until the dishes or the wash is done. You can then keep an eye on them and at the first sign of trouble you can act to sort it out.

Tiina63 said:
For your situation, I would say that when you use the washing machine or dishwasher, only use them when you are staying in until the dishes or the wash is done. You can then keep an eye on them and at the first sign of trouble you can act to sort it out.

To me, and maybe this is the crippling fear, it seems like why do that at all. Why not just wash my own dishes the hard way and take my clothing to the laundry mat. The only reason I am considering giving these kind of things up, is that it is taking me a ton of time on a weekly basis and, it seems smarter to go weeks with the appliances working on the off chance they might break about every year and 1/2. Plus I should grow up. :)

Also, I would really like it if when I buy these things that someone could show me how to use them in detail.

I honestly can say I have never heard of this before but it seems like this is one difficult fear to avoid. There's so many times during the day when you have to face that fear head-on so I can imagine how bad this must be. I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

Frankly, I trust my appliances more than the people surrounding me. Though I do prefer to be at home while doing the laundry just to be on the safe side, I'm more afraid of careless fellow tenants burning the whole neighborhood down while cooking without recipe. Because they think they know how to operate their appliances. Nobody reads a manual anyway, no matter its quality.

Rodent said:
Because they think they know how to operate their appliances. Nobody reads a manual anyway, no matter its quality.

True but, I was thrilled when I moved in here that the former owners left all the manuals. But I have read them and they suck. They tell me nothing. Ugh it is all about how to use the features. Not what to do in case of problem. Then they have a telephone number.

Also, is it me, but I feel like I don't have time to read and remember the 32 pages of crud. I need appliances that have like "on" and "off" and they will actually turn off. My heater when I turn it off automatically turns itself off but that could take about 20 minutes. The first time I turned it off I though I had a serious problem and then, while on the phone with the AC people it shut off. Ugh how was I supposed to know any of that?

Actually over the years I have become an EXPERT on my type of heater but it is so freaking complex. Most of the time I just have to hope for the best.

I am going to buy a washer and dryer (I found one that gets good marks at a couple of different sites) but even then, who knows if my hook ups work properly and the moment I turn on the washer things will go flying.

LonelySutton said:
True but, I was thrilled when I moved in here that the former owners left all the manuals. But I have read them and they suck. They tell me nothing. Ugh it is all about how to use the features. Not what to do in case of problem. Then they have a telephone number.

Also, is it me, but I feel like I don't have time to read and remember the 32 pages of crud. I need appliances that have like "on" and "off" and they will actually turn off. My heater when I turn it off automatically turns itself off but that could take about 20 minutes. The first time I turned it off I though I had a serious problem and then, while on the phone with the AC people it shut off. Ugh how was I supposed to know any of that?

Actually over the years I have become an EXPERT on my type of heater but it is so freaking complex. Most of the time I just have to hope for the best.

I am going to buy a washer and dryer (I found one that gets good marks at a couple of different sites) but even then, who knows if my hook ups work properly and the moment I turn on the washer things will go flying.

Yeah, the troubleshooting sections in most manuals are pretty much summarized with "Just call us". Well, that won't do any good if you're already ankle-deep in water.

I always thought my dad was just being cranky, but I'm also reaching an age were I realize that neither the manuals nor the general controls of most home appliances were engineered with any consideration for the end-user. There is little to be done about it though, so I still skim through the manuals while suppressing a wild urge to scream at all spelling mistakes, the crude schematics and lines after lines of pointless elaborations on features which are not important to me.

Setting up new appliances is the biggest hurdle, I admit. If I hadn't been looking over my dad's shoulder all the time, I would have no clue either. Having somebody who taught himself all the basics for doing wiring, setting outlets and properly hooking up appliances is your best bet. Normally you aren't even allowed to hook up something as simple as a bathroom cupboard because the lights in it should be set up by "certified technicians only". But I already learned how many of these certified technicians are absolutely atrocious at their trade and would be better off blowing their nose with their certificates. Browsing the internet for solutions and hints in forums for self-taught craftsmen seems like a cheaper alternative. People who are not getting paid to just "get the job done" and have an active interest in keeping their home in shape long-term seem more reliable to me.

Hmm, appliances can look complex, but they're actually pretty simple pieces of kit. Not to mention, you have the fountain of all knowledge known as 'the internet' at your disposal. Don't know how to use a washing machine? Google is your friend. As for ovens, well, usually the instructions of whatever you're trying to cook can tell you what to do, all you have to do is decide which knob to turn. (or knobs, in the case of fan assisted ovens)

Still, a little bit of IT wisdom. 'The computer isn't stupid, you've just told it to do a stupid thing' heh. All you need is knowledge, and everything should be fine.

Rodent said:
Frankly, I trust my appliances more than the people surrounding me. Though I do prefer to be at home while doing the laundry just to be on the safe side, I'm more afraid of careless fellow tenants burning the whole neighborhood down while cooking without recipe. Because they think they know how to operate their appliances. Nobody reads a manual anyway, no matter its quality.

+1

Appliances are here to help.
Personally, I could never live without a garbage disposal unit.

I hate my washing machine.

It makes my clothes stink because it is "energy efficient". This translates into: "the machine uses very little amount of water to wash with (lower heating cost) and stops short of fully rinsing the clothes in favour of conserving cold water".

It has many settings, except the one I really want (a 50' wash), and some of the settings seem to be a bit hit-and-miss - such as the 'wool setting' that managed to shrink all my jumpers!

As if this wasn't bad enough, there is no more old-fashioned laundry powder to be had - only that new stuff that they say you should use half of what you used to use, but in reality you need the same amount. It also has little coloured specks of dye in it - red, blue or green (single colours or in various combinations). I've tried all the major brands, and the current powder smells bad, and has a mixture of red and blue dye which turns the water grey! How I long for the day when laundry powder smells good and clothing comes out nice and clean and fully rinsed!

Because of these issues, I've been handwashing just about everything in the bath. I use the washing machine's spin cycle before drying my clothes in the tumble drier. But the spin cycle broke down a few days ago, and I'm seriously considering buying a proper spin dryer like I used to have many years ago - they never let you down!

Lowes Home Improvement if you have one. Free delivery and hook up/set up and buy the extended warranty. Put a leak pan under your washer. Don't buy high-tech appliances - buy the simple ones without steam features and water level sensors. The fewer features, the easier they are to operate and generally less expensive to have repaired. I've been buying appliances from Lowes for 20 years. The extended warranties give you peace of mind. I've only had to use them a few times, but it was easy and stress free.

LonesomeDay said:

It makes my clothes stink because it is "energy efficient". This translates into: "the machine uses very little amount of water to wash with (lower heating cost) and stops short of fully rinsing the clothes in favour of conserving cold water".

It has many settings, except the one I really want (a 50' wash), and some of the settings seem to be a bit hit-and-miss - such as the 'wool setting' that managed to shrink all my jumpers!

As if this wasn't bad enough, there is no more old-fashioned laundry powder to be had - only that new stuff that they say you should use half of what you used to use, but in reality you need the same amount. It also has little coloured specks of dye in it - red, blue or green (single colours or in various combinations). I've tried all the major brands, and the current powder smells bad, and has a mixture of red and blue dye which turns the water grey! How I long for the day when laundry powder smells good and clothing comes out nice and clean and fully rinsed!

Because of these issues, I've been handwashing just about everything in the bath. I use the washing machine's spin cycle before drying my clothes in the tumble drier. But the spin cycle broke down a few days ago, and I'm seriously considering buying a proper spin dryer like I used to have many years ago - they never let you down!

Add a cup of vinager to the rinse cycle and make sure to leave the door open when washer is not in use

To OP ... it is highly recommended to turn off water supply off to a cloths washer when not in use
I am on holiday right now and turned the water supply off to my entire home just in case
When I first bought my home it came with an insurance policy. ..if any thing mechanical broke down I paid the first $50 and they sent a repair man
Unfortunately that policy is no longer available

I get paranoid over major appliances that generate heat (heaters, dryer, stove/oven, etc), but it's nothing major. Also, for new stuff, I tend to unplug them for a while when not in use, on the off chance they might malfunction.

Are you sure your not Amish lol
I joke but do understand the paranoia. ... for me its more about the unexpected cost to repair or replace

BadGuy said:
LonesomeDay said:

It makes my clothes stink [...]

Add a cup of vinager to the rinse cycle and make sure to leave the door open when washer is not in use

Thanks, I'll try that next time!

Peaches said:
for a second I read Oinkophobia, fear of pigs

Well that is a whole different thread. :)

LonesomeDay gosh what washer do you have? I have researched and I am going to get a product that is a top door washer. Also this one, a samsung, gets rave reviews. But there is still a ton of ways for things to go wrong.

I get paranoid over major appliances that generate heat (heaters, dryer, stove/oven, etc), but it's nothing major. Also, for new stuff, I tend to unplug them for a while when not in use, on the off chance they might malfunction.

I also have this. I don't worry about dryers too much because you can run it on a non hot setting. But the oven I never use for that reason and also, my cat, will get too close. I also hate my heater. And it is one of the most safe kinds. It is a "heat pump" which is like a hair dryer. So safe it cannot give out carbon monoxide. But still, I hate it. I can't even stomach moving to a home with gas as a heat substance (like 40% of the homes here) because even when the heater isn't on... it poses a danger from the pilot light and or a leak.

I had a scary thing happen. My mom's house was vacant after her death and my bother had a maintenance guy come out and hook up the oven. But the oven hook up had a leak. So i came over the house a week later and it was reeking with gas. Had I not come when I did, I can't even consider what would have happened.

You would really think there would be some sort of check for that but NOOOO, these people don't care. It isn't their house.

Latest posts

Back