Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Double standards.

- "Game", the idea that it is the most important thing about a guy, and that without it, he's worthless.

- Rebellion for no reason other than wanting to intimidate or shock people, or just for the sake of being immature or mean-spirited.

- How this rebellion, violence, and self-destruction get romanticized.

- Irony, sarcasm, and mocking things being valued more than actually caring about anything.

- How a lot of people seem to need there to be some kind of "out" group for them to feel naturally better/"higher" than.

When people tell me to google something if i don't know it. Yes, i know google exists, yes i know how to use it. I'm talking to you for conversation, not to be directed away from you.

Also, when you step out of the shower and you have to poop real bad. Choosing between drying off first or getting on that toilet as a wet mess. You lose either way since you have to race against the clock. Even if you dry yourself off completely you'll be sitting on a damp toilet seat with your towel in hand, defeated look, just waiting to be exploited. Anyone else have that?

Volt said:
When people tell me to google something if i don't know it. Yes, i know google exists, yes i know how to use it. I'm talking to you for conversation, not to be directed away from you.

YES!

DarkSelene said:
Volt said:

YES!

You don't happen to relate to the second thing as well?

Volt said:

Yeah, same here!  When I ask someone something, I know I could Google it, but I'm trying to talk to the person, trying to get them to share more about themselves, their knowledge, and interests.  

Also, the idea that people with certain interests need to "get a life".  It's always made me both annoyed and confused - what does that even mean anyway?  It sounds like telling these people "like what we like instead of what you like, our interests are right and yours are wrong".  Except the thing is, even if they tried to drop their interests in favor of whatever is "in", the "in" crowd wouldn't let them in anyway, because they aren't trying to give you helpful advice, they're just trying to call you a loser.  So there's really no way to win with people like that.

- When people won't stick to a schedule or give notice if they're going to be late, cancel, etc.

Poor grammar. It's not like it's something you learned once and never used it again. I'm not talking about typos.

When your toothbrush slips and you scrape your gums or lip ...and then get a canker

People who are snarky, sarcastic, and facetious most of the time. It's like all they do is look for stuff to mock and call lame and laugh at it in a condescending way. They seem like they don't like anything except making fun of stuff and acting like they are so much cooler and better than whatever it is they are being sarcastic about or making fun of. And the most annoying thing about them, is that such people are often very popular and seen as attractive. I don't see the appeal in this kind of person at all, or why this is the thing to do. I never have. I've always been more interested in looking for things to like and get into than in things to ridicule and find fault with, and I've always wanted to talk to people about what they like and try to find some common ground to share enthusiasm over. I've always wanted to be more sincere than ironic, and that puts me out of touch in a culture that increasingly values irony over sincerity. I think it's another manifestation of this dominance crap, cause if you make fun of something, you're positioning yourself as above it, in a position where you can critique it but not the other way around. I just really wish people would stop being like this, but I don't see an end in sight.

TheSkaFish said:
People who are snarky, sarcastic, and facetious most of the time.  It's like all they do is look for stuff to mock and call lame and laugh at it in a condescending way.  They seem like they don't like anything except making fun of stuff and acting like they are so much cooler and better than whatever it is they are being sarcastic about or making fun of.  And the most annoying thing about them, is that such people are often very popular and seen as attractive.  I don't see the appeal in this kind of person at all, or why this is the thing to do.  I never have.  I've always been more interested in looking for things to like and get into than in things to ridicule and find fault with, and I've always wanted to talk to people about what they like and try to find some common ground to share enthusiasm over.  I've always wanted to be more sincere than ironic, and that puts me out of touch in a culture that increasingly values irony over sincerity.  I think it's another manifestation of this dominance crap, cause if you make fun of something, you're positioning yourself as above it, in a position where you can critique it but not the other way around.  I just really wish people would stop being like this, but I don't see an end in sight.

You poor, sad, little fool.  You deluded twerp with the IQ of a sea slug.  Begone from my noble presence, peasant!

I kid, I kid...   You're cool.  I just couldn't help myself...    :)

I'll tell you a real pet peeve that's only sprung up lately, and shouldn't happen in these days of internet 2.0.

An online form will ask you to enter an email address or credit card number etc...

So you start typing.   Next thing, you get a big, red angry thing pop up saying "THAT ISN'T A  VALID EMAIL"  or "YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER DOES NOT CONTAIN ENOUGH DIGITS".   It's like being a naughty child slapped over the wrist.

I want to scream at them, "it's not a valid email or credit card number BECAUSE I HAVEN'T ******* FINISHED TYPING IT IN YET!!!!   Get messed.  And the horse you rode in on.  You have a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock of that thing you unrightfully call a brain."

Oh, and "THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION".  fresia the fresia the fresia ******* off.  And your little dog too.  Yes, I know I'm at the arse end of the planet, and Australia doesn't count for honeysuckle.   Guess what, turdwagons....  I have a VPN.   I can log in from virtually any country in the world.  I'll see your untalented, shitty little video whether you like it or not.  I'm in Argentina today, Canada the next, maybe Scotland.   Don't fresia with me.

Rant over.  Have a nice day.

pet peeve- pseudointellectualism, where everybody writes on a forum like it's an mla/apa formatted research paper

far too many "rathers" and "thoughs" and "neither/nors" and irritating forced transitions ...

The question "What are you up to this weekend?" I have a coworker who always asks me this question, and it drives me crazy. Being a mega introvert, a private person and a natural homebody, I prefer my weekends left open and rarely make concrete plans. Doesn't mean I don't go out and do things, but I like having my options open. This question always leaves me feeling like a boring ******* - my standard answer is usually something along the lines of "Oh, not much," or "Hmmm, not sure yet."

You would think after the hundredth time of being asked this, and getting the same answer, he would stop asking.

Latest posts

Back