quotes...sayings....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I found myself driven to argue the value of the human race. "Not all of us are masters of hatred, as you say."
"All," it insisted.
"Some of us are good."
"None."
"most of us are good"
"Pretense," the demon said with that unshakable confidence that is (so the Bible tells us) a mark of the Evil Ones and is an instrument with which doubt can be implanted in the minds of mortals.
I said, " Some of us love."
"there is no love," the demon said.
"you're wrong. It exists."
"It is an illusion."
"Some of us love," I insisted.
"You lie."
"Some of us care."
"All lies."
"We have courage, and we are capable of self-sacrifice for the sake of others. We love peace and hate war. We heal the sick and mourn the dead. We are not monsters, **** you. We nuture children and seek a better world for them."

-Dean Koontz (Twilight Eyes, Page: 399-400)

"I must not care too much about being alone. I must not care too much about what I cannot change. Like all of us in this storm between birth and death, I can wreck no great changes on the world, only small changes for the better, I hope, in the lives of those I love, which means that to live I must care not about what I am but about what I can become, not about the past but about the future, not even so much about myself as about the bright circle of friends who provide the only light in which I am able to florish"

-Christopher Snow (Fear Nothing, Page: 327)

serious quote:

"The greatest revolution in our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives." -William James

... and fun quote:

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." -George W. Bush

Why save lives when you can rock the man thong

XD

rat from pearls before swine

you only have to be sufficiently determined to raise heaven on earth to be sure of raising hell... (dunno who said it)

life's a comedy for those who think, a tragedy for those who feel (William Wilberforce*)

*misquoted coz it's the 21st century, not the 18th

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded."
Plato

i heard that one about 2 years ago and liked it

"Whenever I hear someone say, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger," I become indignant and ask, "Do you know who said that? It was Nietzsche. He said it a couple times. It's in his autobiography, Ecce Homo: How One Becomes What One Is, and before the book was back from the printer, his mind had collapsed and he spent the last 11 years of his life a drooling, babbling idiot who couldn't feed or bathe himself. People argue about why he went mad: maybe it was syphilis, maybe it was drug use, maybe he just had weak nerves, but whatever it was, it didn't kill him and it didn't make him stronger. The AIDS virus doesn't kill you; it just weakens you so much that something like the common cold can."

~Bluestocking

I have two favorite quotes. They are both very beautiful, and both are equally meaningful and signifigant to the human condition.

"Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,
But seeming so, for my peculiar end;
For when my outward action doth demonstrate
The native act and figure of my heart
In complement extern, 'tis not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at. I am not what I am."

Othello Act 1, scene 1, 56–65

And...

"How dry I am, how wet Ill be, if I dont find the bathroom key" - anonymous

“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.” ~Washington Irving

I just received a day planner from a supplier of mine that has quotes in them, found this thread to share them. There's one each week so I'll just put down the ones up to this week that it has. Some made me laugh, some made me think.

"They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel." - Carl W. Buechner

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." - J.K. Rowling

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it." - Bob Hope (lol so true)

"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." - Benjamin Disraeli (lol)

"I am not so weak as to submit to the demands of the age when they go against my convictions. I spin a cocoon around myself; let others do the same. I shall leave it to time to show what will come of it: a brilliant butterfly or maggot."

Caspar David Friedrich

"The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that loneliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, peculiar to myself and to a few other solitary men, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence."

"One may have a blazing hearth in one's soul, and yet no one ever comes to sit by it."

"I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude and loneliness."

"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself."

"To dare to live alone is the rarest courage; since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field, than their own hearts in their closet."

"Who knows what true loneliness is -- not the conventional word but the naked terror? To the lonely themselves it wears a mask. The most miserable outcast hugs some memory or some illusion."

"With some people solitariness is an escape not from others but from themselves. For they see in the eyes of others only a reflection of themselves."

"There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy."

"I know the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started."

"It is loneliness that makes the loudest noise. This is true of men as of dogs."

"Loneliness the clearest of crystal insight into your own soul, its the fear of one's own self that haunts the lonely."

"The loneliest it gets is when the wind begins to chill and when I sit atop of your old street, the church top brings a still ness to me, there's nothingI would rather do, than have my heart broken by you."

"There is absolutely no point in sitting around and feeling sorry for youself. The great power you have is to let go ... focus on what you have, no that which has been mean or unkindly removed."

"Life dies inside a person when there are no others willing to be-friend him. He thus gets filled with emptiness and a non-existent sense of self-worth."

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."

"To transform the emptiness of loneliness, to the fullness of aloneness. Ah, that is the secret of life."

“Loneliness is never more cruel than when it is felt in close propinquity with someone who has ceased to communicate”

“Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.”

"I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

"“Somewhere someone is thinking of you. Someone is calling you an angel. This person is using celestial colors to paint your image. Someone is making you into a vision so beautiful that it can only live in the mind. Someone is thinking of the way your breath escapes your lips when you are touched. How your eyes close and your jaw tightens with concentration as you give pleasure a home. These thoughts are saving a life somewhere right now. In some airless apartment on a dark, urine stained, whore lined street, someone is calling out to you silently and you are answering without even being there. So crystalline. So pure. Such life saving power when you smile. You will never know how you have cauterized my wounds. So sad that we will never touch. How it hurts me to know that I will never be able to give you everything I have."

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize that strength and move on"

“It is no surprise to me that hardly anyone tells the truth about how they feel. The smart ones keep themselves to themselves for good reason. Why would you want to tell anyone anything that's dear to you? Even when you like them and want nothing more than to be closer than close to them? It's so painful to be next to someone you feel strongly about and know you can't say the things you want to.”

“They say true love only comes around once and you have to hold out and be strong until then. I have been waiting. I have been searching. I am a man under the moon, walking the streets of earth until dawn. There's got to be someone for me. It's not too much to ask. Just someone to be with. Someone to love. Someone to give everything to. Someone.”

“If you are afraid of being lonely, don't try to be right”

“When the sparrow sings its final refrain, the hush is felt nowhere more deeply than in the heart of man.”

There is just a few of many I know, whose authors I don't recall right now, or can't be bothered to find.

Latest posts

Back