They are Gone for a Reason.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan27

Reaction score
When a friend leaves you.. let 'em go.
I met an old pal I had not seen in 20 years.
I tried cautiously, to renew our friendship.
Within 4 months, he disappointed me again.
I walked away a little 'wiser' from the lesson learned.
Trust must be earned.
Never let the same dog bite you twice !

You know... I agree, sometimes you may think, oh.. they fell out of your life due to getting too busy and blah blah however, it's usually and simply because they aren't real friends. I miss some old friends, but I have messaged and reached out, got nothing, until they needed something...

I hate thinking that friends leave because of some unspoken misunderstanding or assumption. When they leave silently and just stop returning messages, you're just left there to wonder what happened. But, their leaving in that way leaves me wondering how good of a friendship we really had. Some of them vanished after we knew each other for 20 years, which was quite a shock. For me, a lot of the vanishing happened not too long after the friends started families of their own and since I didn't, I often wonder if that was the case. Again, too bad for them, we would have made good baby sitters since we didn't have kids of our own. We did baby sit for friends once or twice without incident. All one can say is who knows and oh well.

Allow me to offer a dissenting opinion here. I agree with your point that many people don't change much, but I don't think that necessarily equates to a lost friendship being a lost cause. Here's my significant experience with the matter.

As I progressed through high school, college, and 6 career towns, I made and lost many friends along the way. Most of the friendships died when I moved away, and though I tried to stay in touch, I found others too lazy or uncaring to do so. After so many years of one-way effort, I eventually gave up on them.

As retirement age approached, I became more sentimental about my past life and relationships. Clinging onto good memories and wanting to rekindle old friendships, I sought out several past, lost friends. They all had families and I don't, so it's understandable that I needed and missed them more than they did me. Thus, I had to swallow my pride, reach out, and be willing to give without expecting much back. And so I did - with emails, calls, and personal visits.

After 30+ years of no contact, I reengaged with 10 past friends that I now stay in touch with regularly. It's not fair that I'm the one who always has to lead the effort, but their friendship makes it worthwhile. Four have become good, close friends again that I visit yearly. We enjoy reminiscing about the past, sharing outdoor activities, and making new good memories.

I think those of us who crave more relationships in life need to reject the fairness rule, striving to be a giver rather than a taker. So what if we have to give 80% to get 20% back? If that 20% is good, then I'd suggest that it's worth the price paid. And throughout this process, we givers become a blessing to others more than we'll ever know.

Allow me to offer a dissenting opinion here. I agree with your point that many people don't change much, but I don't think that necessarily equates to a lost friendship being a lost cause. Here's my significant experience with the matter.

As I progressed through high school, college, and 6 career towns, I made and lost many friends along the way. Most of the friendships died when I moved away, and though I tried to stay in touch, I found others too lazy or uncaring to do so. After so many years of one-way effort, I eventually gave up on them.

As retirement age approached, I became more sentimental about my past life and relationships. Clinging onto good memories and wanting to rekindle old friendships, I sought out several past, lost friends. They all had families and I don't, so it's understandable that I needed and missed them more than they did me. Thus, I had to swallow my pride, reach out, and be willing to give without expecting much back. And so I did - with emails, calls, and personal visits.

After 30+ years of no contact, I reengaged with 10 past friends that I now stay in touch with regularly. It's not fair that I'm the one who always has to lead the effort, but their friendship makes it worthwhile. Four have become good, close friends again that I visit yearly. We enjoy reminiscing about the past, sharing outdoor activities, and making new good memories.

I think those of us who crave more relationships in life need to reject the fairness rule, striving to be a giver rather than a taker. So what if we have to give 80% to get 20% back? If that 20% is good, then I'd suggest that it's worth the price paid. And throughout this process, we givers become a blessing to others more than we'll ever know.
Despite our disagreements on some fundamental issues, I think overall that you're a good person, and I really respect that.

Thank you Ewomack. What a nice thing to say. I have many friends with strong opposing religious or political views but we still appreciate and respect each other. I'm glad you and I can share that camp.

Latest posts

Back