Things that make you think

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

some very good points there, but i wonder about "preparedness". Being properly prepared for situations comes from thinking through possible scenarios, but we wouldn't think through those scenarios unless there was to some degree a concern, a fear, a hope. We train our bodies with exercise to be healthier, stronger, live longer. We invest our money for a less difficult retirement. We fortify our defences in our homes and countries in the event of attack. All these and more are a product of some sort of concern for the future.

some very good points there, but i wonder about "preparedness". Being properly prepared for situations comes from thinking through possible scenarios, but we wouldn't think through those scenarios unless there was to some degree a concern, a fear, a hope. We train our bodies with exercise to be healthier, stronger, live longer. We invest our money for a less difficult retirement. We fortify our defences in our homes and countries in the event of attack. All these and more are a product of some sort of concern for the future.
Its mainly a topic from the new Stoic teachings I am currently reading about some of the greatest minds of the early 300's like Marcus Aurelius and some of the other great stoic philosophers speak of time and the importance of its management and how it effects us when we dwell in the past or think to much of the future its in another thread I posted a book I am reading on 2 threads on (Bam Thread) which is just starting and the second (Letters of the past) which is also just starting which I give audio and written information about the Stoics and there ancient philosophies and how it molded some of the greatest minds of there time. It is important to prepare for a future but what we do in the present will influence the near future and to linger on to much (not to simply prepare but to dwell on) is not good for the overall outcome of said future and could actually cause us to not accomplish are overall goals in are day to day life's but however I do understand what you are saying.

...... It is important to prepare for a future but what we do in the present will influence the near future and to linger on to much (not to simply prepare but to dwell on) is not good for the overall outcome of said future and could actually cause us to not accomplish are overall goals in are day to day life's but however I do understand what you are saying.
Fair enough. Dwelling on anything isn't healthy.

Many interesting videos. Thx for sharing them.
It is my hope that someone at least finds one video that helps or makes them think in new and different ways then before. I try to post at least one or more daily sometimes I go back and revisit my old videos but there is so many interesting things that I discover about either myself or how others think or see the world that I admit I cant always rewatch them all thank you for your kind words.

It is my hope that someone at least finds one video that helps or makes them think in new and different ways then before.
I’m sure it helps. Even if it’s just one other person or even just yourself. Keep it up. I’ve started giving most of them at least a quick look. At 55, I am very aware of many of the things said in the videos you share, and practice what I can. Sometimes we know stuff but don’t practice what we should for various reasons, and rewatching some of these things is a good idea as it might just sink in at a later time in our lives.

Sometimes we know stuff but don’t practice what we should for various reasons, and rewatching some of these things is a good idea as it might just sink in at a later time in our lives.
yes indeed it reminds me of one of the letters I am reading now by a well-known philosopher of his time Seneca a man that I am happily reading about now.

"Be careful, however, lest this reading of many authors and books of every sort may tend to make you discursive and unsteady. You must linger among a limited number of master-thinkers, and digest their works, if you would derive ideas which shall win firm hold in your mind. Everywhere means nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel, he ends by having many acquaintances, but no friends. And the same thing must hold true of men who seek intimate acquaintance with no single author but visit them all in a hasty and hurried manner."

this quote is the second letter "on Discursiveness in Reading" this is a weakness of mine I hope to make strong I have an overwhelming thirst of knowledge. And before used to write, read, and listen to many different things to learn all I can, but a person who knows many things is a master of none, in this fact I am weak and hope to sharpen my tools as to learn all I can about one thing at a time then go back and reflect before trying to move onto the next. So this thread is a bread crumb trail I use to put things that interest me, challenge me, and make me think about many different things in different ways to come back to one day and revisit to see what other things may still interest me or even help others in there quest of thinking or trying new ways of either practice or thought.

The comment from my late father comes to mind "An educated bum". lol. Meaning of course, that one just chases more and more knowledge to the point that they are very learned but have never had time to get a career.

The comment from my late father comes to mind "An educated bum". lol. Meaning of course, that one just chases more and more knowledge to the point that they are very learned but have never had time to get a career.
sometimes the poor are more educated than the rich other times the latter, but I like what your dad said lol

Latest posts

Back