Upcoming Job "Interview"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
Here is the background:

As many of you know I live about 3 hours away from my friends and family, because of my job (which is why I am on here in the first place).

I have always had the intention of moving closer to home, and my boyfriend is completely for it. He has no connections to where we live other than his dad. His dad wants to sell his house and move away anyways, so when we decide to move his dad said I will just get an apartment in the same town.

Well, Thursday night I was curious, and I was looking at the jobs in my state for agriculture teachers. It turns out the high school I went too needs an agriculture teacher. So I get on the school's website, and what do you know! They need an English teacher too (my boyfriend is an english teacher). I felt like I just had to go for it and so did he.

Friday I emailed the principal asking about the position and told him I was interested, and that I would come and submit all the paperwork on Monday (3 hour drive, but whatever). He then said to go ahead and meet with him as well that day. I set up a time with him.

My boyfriend had a question about the english position and went ahead and called him. My boyfriend said he would apply on Monday, and the principal again, said to come meet with him but didn't give him a time.

So my question is, how do we do this. I don't want to hide the fact we are dating, because if we both get hired then they will see we live at the same place. I'm not going to straight up obnoxious about it either. We were wanting to drive to the school together and meet the principal together. I don't want to go at a separate time and try to be "sneaky" about this either. I want to be honest, but make it not a big deal.

Some demographics, this is a huge building (two stories) and we will be in completely opposite areas of the building. Also, I read the employee handbook and teacher's contract and there is nothing about the employees being in a relationship/married in them, except in the teacher's contract, they talk a little bit about insurance for married people in the school corporation.

So, how do you think we should go about this? And no, there are not any other English teacher or Ag teacher jobs in my area. I wish there were English teacher openings close by so I wouldn't have this dilemma, but these are the cards we were dealt.

I wouldn't hide it because you have nothing to hide. Both of you are qualified for these positions so they should look at you just for that. That you are involved is your business.

^ I agree too. Very best of luck, hope you both do well. Let us know how you both get on.

When I read your post,I was thinking about the movie "Bad Teacher".:)

Wish you good luck,Nicolelt!

Hopefully it'll be just fine, your professionalism will be what comes across to them. If they haven't mentioned anything about it in the handbook or the contract, I doubt they will make it an issue in the interview/meeting. All the best Nicole :)

I think it's best to be honest about your relationship up front, this shows that you are aware and serious and that you are considering the school's stance on this. Make it clear to them that you both are aware and can remain professional despite being in a relationship. If they are reasonable, it'll work out just fine. If not, it speaks volumes about them and you're probably better off in another school with superiors who trust your professionalism in this matter and who appreciate your honesty.

Good luck to the both of you for the interview!

In general, I'm not sure it's such a good idea, to be a couple and work at the same place. Where are each of you gonna get your space?

But to be constructive, I agree with the others here. Best to be up front, while not making a huge deal of it. Would suck to to end up as the "sneaky couple".

This is a really cool coincidence! Good luck both of you.

I agree with everyone here who said don't bring your relationship into it. I think you should not let your relationship have anything to do with the jobs for either of you. You can let your professional qualifications determine the result. It is so common for people to meet their partner at work, and then, there you have it. Lots of people at my workplace were together, or got together. We're all adults here, right? You don't want your relationship to colour their decision.

I'm assuming that there is no specific policy against it.

Thank you everyone for the support and advice.

Here is how it happened. I went in and interviewed with the principal and after 30 minutes of talking he said, you have the job. I told him that I would have to wait and see if my boyfriend would get a job. I said he was an English teacher. He asked if it was the one who applied there, and well I was going to honest.

He interviewed James and said he would call us back that day and said he has too make some phone calls. When he called us back he said he wanted to offer the jobs, but he was concerned with cohabitation, so there was more I needed to do.

This morning he called us both, and he wanted to see us and he was offering us the positions. We went in to talk to the superintendent as well as the principal. They discuss with us their expectations, which was how we were going to act at work anyways.

So on July 7, the school board will vote us in as teachers and we're moving back to my home town. :)

Nicolelt said:
So on July 7, the school board will vote us in as teachers and we're moving back to my home town. :)

Wonderful news! I wish you and your boyfriend nothing but the best. Good luck at your new school. :)

Nicolelt said:
Thank you everyone for the support and advice.

Here is how it happened. I went in and interviewed with the principal and after 30 minutes of talking he said, you have the job. I told him that I would have to wait and see if my boyfriend would get a job. I said he was an English teacher. He asked if it was the one who applied there, and well I was going to honest.

He interviewed James and said he would call us back that day and said he has too make some phone calls. When he called us back he said he wanted to offer the jobs, but he was concerned with cohabitation, so there was more I needed to do.

This morning he called us both, and he wanted to see us and he was offering us the positions. We went in to talk to the superintendent as well as the principal. They discuss with us their expectations, which was how we were going to act at work anyways.

Congratulations! That's great news :) All the best to both of you with your new jobs.

Great news, glad it's working out for the both of you. Congrats, Nicole. Best of luck! :)

Latest posts

Back