Valentine's Day Survival Guide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Valentine's Day - a day of exchanging flowers, cards, and loving sentiments punctuated with warm feelings of admiration, affection, and infatuation. But for millions of Americans, there is one thing preventing them from participating in these celebratory acts of love: a date.

Being dateless on Valentine's Day can evoke feelings of loneliness and self-doubt, especially for those who are believers in the mythology of true love. Embedded midway through the frosty season of winter, it is portrayed in the media, particularly in relentless flower, fragrance, and jewelry advertising, as the singular day of year set aside for love, romance, and passion.

But what is a person to do when he or she is feeling the chilling blues of being single instead of embracing the fiery desire of love?

Dr. Laura S. Brown, professor of psychology at Argosy University/Seattle, offers tips on how single guys and gals can celebrate Cupid's Day, instead of being defeated by it. “Love is not about a particular day, or about cards, flowers, or even being in a relationship. The illusion that coupled people are happy and well-loved can feed feelings of loneliness or isolation for people who aren't with someone, and wish they were,” says Brown. “Seeing the illusory nature of this holiday can be the first step in feeling better about being precisely who and where you are.”

According to Brown, the most important message that singles should remember on Valentine's Day is that love is not just for couples; it is for all of us.

The following are more ways that single men and women can enjoy Valentine's Day without worrying about the pressures and pitfalls that often come with the holiday:

1. Do not define yourself by your relationship status. Your relationship status is not your identity.
  2. If you are single because of a recent loss, allow this to be a day of grieving. Do not pretend that it's not a hard day. Get support and sympathy.
  3. Realize that Valentine's Day is a commercial holiday. It is not about love and relationships; it is about selling flowers, candy, and diamond jewelry. Think of all the money you are saving.
  4. Plan well in advance to do something that will not place you in the path of billing and cooing couples. Even if you usually like dining out alone, do something else on Valentine's Day.
  5. Get together with people who do love you -- friends, family members, the people who already have relationships with you.
  6. If you are single and you don't want to be, start now to think about what is in the way of you creating the relationship you want. Find ways to work on becoming the person your dream partner would fall in love with. Start therapy. Take up yoga. Begin to volunteer. Create art. Make meaning. Act to change the world. It is into the fullest lives that love is most likely to fall.
  7. If you are single and you like it, now is the time to affirm your choice. People who never marry or partner have close, loving, emotionally intimate relationships and lives worth living. Do not let a couple-driven culture define your choice as something wrong.

Couple driven culture indeed, I find it crazy that one cannot have a "tribe" unless one is in a couple, a SO is not enough! Bring back the tribes

Friday is going to suck something awful. My parents just gave me hell today about me not having a job, so I am going to have to do applications all week all the while still hurting about that girl in Canada. I can't even tell them why I'm feeling blue, they would only say it's stupid for falling for someone who lives so far away. It doesn't matter how correct it is, it still hurts. Just because I understand where I went wrong doesn't make it any less painful. In fact it's all the more painful because she is seeing someone now too, which adds insult to injury. I can't help but wonder, if I had a job and my own place here when I first met her last year, would she have moved in with me? She actually mentioned living with me several times, she was actually always the one who brought up that kind of talk. I can't believe all the sweet things she said to me over the course of months were white lies. Who would go that far out of their way?

Luckily I'm meeting some friends to go to the Auto Show in the morning, so that will be nice. But I don't have any friends around who don't have fiances, not just girlfriends but fiances. It's going to be a hard day. Idk, I guess I'll try not to force myself to be productive that night, I guess I'll do something to take my mind off it like catching up on shows or movies. Something with a story or some comedy should do it.

I've actually never been all that bothered by Valentine's Day. It's other holidays, like New Year's Eve and Christmas, when my aloneness feels especially poignant.

Maybe I'm just not much of a romantic, but I don't really like anything about Valentine's Day. Something about it is... boring.

Valentine's Day is nice when I'm in a relationship and have a reason to care.

In those moments, I enjoy it because it's my way to bring someone happiness and joy. I love being the cause of someone's happiness. There's nothing else like it in the world.

But when I'm solo, the day means nothing to me. I don't even get sad about it like I do whenever Xmas rolls around. With Xmas, I have deep-seated memories of family-time that I cannot recreate anymore. So, whenever I see happy families during Xmas, it hurts to watch. But for Valentine's Day, I've had some good times, but they never last and so the memories never stuck in my head. So, the day doesn't make me feel so bad.

That doesn't mean I didn't wish I had a reason to care, though. I did wish I had someone to buy a card for, have a candle-lit dinner with her and a comforting moment of love. But I just can't do anything about it so I don't worry about it. The day will pass with nary a thought to its significance.

A Single person doesn't have to feel bad for not having a Valentines date. Well, I am in a relationship but I find Valentines celebration too corny, too commercialized. Businessmen love this day because it is them who benefit the most :D

Eh, ive never cared for valentines day to be honest. And if you're one of those people (especially guys lol) who don't have a date, think of it this way, you're going to be saving at least $100! :p

it's hard to avoid all the crap people say to each other. It might be a good idea to avoid facebook.

A Valentines Day poem (with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore.. Although he died in 1863 so I don't suppose he actually cares.)

Remodelled By - The Jaguarundi

Twas Valentines Day,
and all through the town
Not a creature was stirring -
Twas pissing it down.

The shops were all decked
With pink and red crap,
And the card shop cashier
Had run out of gift-wrap

T shirt wearing teddies
Clutched hearts saying 'Wuv'
And a single red rose
Cost your last drop of blood.

The restaurants and bars
Had their 'special day' meals,
At twice the expense
Of their usual deals.

The guy who forget
To buy wifey a card,
Finds now that his bedroom
Has been locked and barred.

The girl who burned up
Her man's valentine steak,
Was getting her 2nd
Valentines-day nose-break.

And the sensible singles
Without Valentine cheer,
Were looking online -
honeysuckle, they're looking right here -

Where they'll find a 'hello'
And 'how is it for you'?
Or a virtual hug,
('Tis what on-line friends do.)

So lets raise our glasses
And say with a cheer
Hallmark can go shove it
Up their ******* rear!

:D

I always thought it was called "Singles awareness day"

I never did anything for singles awareness day when I was in a relationship. *shrugs*
It does seem like something which only the shallow will care about. Never been asked "what are you doing for valentines day?" before... so I guess nobody cares.

P.S. I already know what I'm doing... downloading and watching the new season of House of Cards.

ahahah, singles awareness day, love it - also 'tied up to a jerk who forgets my birthday and my Xmas presents, not to mention Valentine's Day' awareness day

jaguarundi said:
A Valentines Day poem (with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore.. Although he died in 1863 so I don't suppose he actually cares.)

Remodelled By - The Jaguarundi

Twas Valentines Day,
and all through the town
Not a creature was stirring -
Twas pissing it down.

The shops were all decked
With pink and red crap,
And the card shop cashier
Had run out of gift-wrap

T shirt wearing teddies
Clutched hearts saying 'Wuv'
And a single red rose
Cost your last drop of blood.

The restaurants and bars
Had their 'special day' meals,
At twice the expense
Of their usual deals.

The guy who forget
To buy wifey a card,
Finds now that his bedroom
Has been locked and barred.

The girl who burned up
Her man's valentine steak,
Was getting her 2nd
Valentines-day nose-break.

And the sensible singles
Without Valentine cheer,
Were looking online -
honeysuckle, they're looking right here -

Where they'll find a 'hello'
And 'how is it for you'?
Or a virtual hug,
('Tis what on-line friends do.)

So lets raise our glasses
And say with a cheer
Hallmark can go shove it
Up their ******* rear!

:D

and this is really great, I will recite it aloud on the fatal day

Triple Bogey said:
it's hard to avoid all the crap people say to each other. It might be a good idea to avoid facebook.

It's always a good idea to avoid Facebook. :p

panfruit said:
Triple Bogey said:

It's always a good idea to avoid Facebook. :p

I thought that was just common sense on every day?

I don't feel too bad... remember, a lot of lonely single women are faking their characteristic smugness.

Besides, on the 15th I get to score cut-rate candy from the 99¢ stores.

When is Valantine? *checks calander* oh in two days. *shrugs*
That day is like any other day to me lol. If I'm able to live happily while being single the WHOLE YEAR, I can surely live 24 hours without giving a **** about wearign red and getting roses lol

Latest posts

Back