What are you eating/drinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a cup of coffee for breakfast. I'll probably have a roast beef sandwich with tomato relish on multigrain bread for dinner.

Beef barley soup. First soup I've made at home all year, turned out awesome!
Could you share the recipe for it? I've used barley in stews before, but more as a thickener. I love the texture it adds, it's silly but it also makes me feel like a medieval peasant eating a hearty meal after a hard days work as well (just ignore the tomatoes I add that they wouldn't have had at the time).

Could you share the recipe for it? I've used barley in stews before, but more as a thickener. I love the texture it adds, it's silly but it also makes me feel like a medieval peasant eating a hearty meal after a hard days work as well (just ignore the tomatoes I add that they wouldn't have had at the time).
Absolutely!

I made a large pot, so this is what I used:

about 2 lbs of beef chunks (I have also used hamburger in the past, it's just as good)
1 white onion
a frozen mix of veggies (this one was cut specifically for soups, with celery, carrots, turnip, and peas)
9 cups of beef broth
2 cubes of beef bouillon
half a bag of barley (around 1 cup I think)
Italian seasoning (a generous amount)
salt and pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
olive oil

I browned the meat, in a bit of olive oil. Once done, I removed from pot, then sauteed the onions and veggies in some more olive oil. Then I added the broth, bouillon, and spices. Brought all of this to a simmer, and then added the barley. After the barley was cooked, I added the meat, and then left on a low simmer for half hour or so.

I don't own a crock pot, but I would definitely throw this all into one and leave all day if I could.

I had a lovely cup of Earl Grey tea earlier. So I made myself another one. Isn't it weird how the second one never tastes as good as the first? :coffee:

Latest posts

Back