What is your role in your family?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right now, i'm the head of my family. my dad's gone, so that means that i, being the oldest, have to take his place as the leader. i'm paying all the bills per month, making all the repairs, and trying to keep my brothers in line. it sucks, but i know it's for my families good and survival.

I'm the middle kid. That means...

TROUBLE!!

:D hehe

Honestly, as far as my function socially in my family, I'm the stoic, stable, mediating influence. And I'm not being egotistical about that. My parents are Bible-thumpers, so they can tend to be a bit sensationalistic and reactionary about situations... you know, the "Ohhh lawdy, lands in heaven!" type. And my older brother doesn't really see eye-to-eye with my parents. My younger brother is just simply still growing up and so there's some friction there.

So really, a lot of the time I'm the go-between guy working to mediate conflict and keep things calm and even in the social structure of the family.

Oh, and I help mommy to understand her computer. :cool:

Mediator.
Counsellor.
Job-Search Helper.
Writer of cover letters, resumes, etc.
Baby-sitter.
Money-tree.
(And I also am a lecturer to my younger brothers about unwanted teenage pregnancy and STDs...not bitter...nope...)

...sigh...

Brother Karl said:
She meant that you take advantage of people before they take advantage of you.

That is not the case. I still let people take advantage of me sometimes. But main reason of using people is that I have adapted more and more to current society, you just got to live up some standards and take care of yourself too.

hm well lets see....i guess im kinda the top wolf since im the oldest one in the bunch you know how that works .-. the oldest is always looked up to by the younger kiddies

I am considered the lazy, kinda dumb, bum that doesn't really do anything.... (even tho I work over 60 some-odd hrs a week.. have 3 college degrees...etc) I am also the taxi and baby sitter....

Danielle said:
I am considered the lazy, kinda dumb, bum that doesn't really do anything.... (even tho I work over 60 some-odd hrs a week.. have 3 college degrees...etc) I am also the taxi and baby sitter....

I know a girl who is always buzy doing everything. She would volunteer herself the leader of every project and then whine about how buzy she is and why she is the only one that is doing something. And when you critisize her opinion on something, she gets mad. It really pisses me off. I just don't get her point of what she wants to achieve or who she wants to be, how she wants to be.

Why do you have 3 college degrees? Do you use them all or just felt the degree you finished doesn't really suit you?

i have 3 degrees because i couldn't decide what I wanted to study... so i just stayed in school and got 2 bachelors degrees... then went on to get my BCBA in behavioral therapy, masters level... yeah and I do use them all...

Calm, was this some sort of dig against me... i don't really understand the little story you told about the girl who is always busy.. just before you asked the question... whats that all about?

what is your role in your family

Well, if you are talking about the family I was born into...I am the one no one understands. And I do not mean I am misunderstood. I mean these are vile, wretched people, and they dont know why I would bother with things such as college or art or love. I stopped talking to these people about "ideas" a long time ago

What is the role in the famiy that I have made for myself ?

I am the cook. I manage the money. Its alright :) I am loved and respected

wow Danielle that is really cool !!!! I only have one degree, but it is in 2 things

Youre so smart :D

Danielle said:
i have 3 degrees because i couldn't decide what I wanted to study... so i just stayed in school and got 2 bachelors degrees... then went on to get my BCBA in behavioral therapy, masters level... yeah and I do use them all...

Calm, was this some sort of dig against me... i don't really understand the little story you told about the girl who is always busy.. just before you asked the question... whats that all about?

It wasn't specifically a dig. But your post reminded me of that person, yes. Somehow I drew parallels between your mention of 3 degrees and her being involved in every god **** thing she can.

Maybe enjoy life a bit more?

I'm the one that everyone treads on eggshells around.

They don't understand why I am the way I am, but they're trying **** hard to try to.

*shrug*

Calm said:
Danielle said:

It wasn't specifically a dig. But your post reminded me of that person, yes. Somehow I drew parallels between your mention of 3 degrees and her being involved in every god **** thing she can.

Well I am not like that person... I just work to pay the bills...

Danielle said:
Calm said:
Danielle said:

Well I am not like that person... I just work to pay the bills...

Hey, nothin' wrong with that. My mother has been the first in her family to ever get through college and she has a few degrees and quite a few certifications. She's now shooting for a doctor of education and afterwards will open a school. It's one thing if you just have a paper on the wall saying you're certified in something that you don't put to use. It's another thing to have many interests that you decide to pursue.

Besides, no one said you can't work AND have fun :p especially if your work is something you enjoy.

Family Bank! and I don't mind it that my family are using me.. or maybe I just want to feel needed :p

Yoosha said:
Family Bank! and I don't mind it that my family are using me.. or maybe I just want to feel needed :p

So you give out loans and ask back with intresses? Do you lend someone elses money?

I'm the next to youngest. I'm a senior now and like a lot of ppl I used to be a door mat then one day I just didn't take it any more. And guess what happens when you do that they shun you-have no use for you. They have to find another to abuse. But boy am I ok w/ me now. Took yrs to get up the courage, but to me was well worth. I like me even if no one else does. This may come off as very selfish but in reality it is self preservation. I hope this may also enable others to take a stand. Peace out... :rolleyes:

I am the warning to others.
Life by the seat of my pants, no plan, seemed like a good idea at the time, bad decision maker. I am the one they shake their head at in amazement that I made it this far.
I am the black sheep ( well not really black...kind of a charcoal)

I guess my job right now is the dutiful son. Help around the property, help my dad at work, do good in school. I'm pretty good at it ;). I would really like to open up more to my parents though. for some reason, despite their willingness to listen, I find it hard to disclose when I'm feeling like crap. it's something to work on, anyways.

as far as 'mediation' goes, I have learned that I can only do so much. I mostly try to stay neutral, but will dispense an ear or opinion if requested.

PurpleDays said:
I'm the one that everyone treads on eggshells around.

They don't understand why I am the way I am, but they're trying **** hard to try to.

*shrug*

That's me. Seems like we have quite a lot in common. :)

Latest posts

Back