What mask do you hide behind?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caroline said:
EveWasFramed said:
Wandering stranger said:
Goofy and sensitive doesn't ever get the girl, it serves to keep them though. When's the last time you've seen the quiet guy get respect or garner attention from the opposite sex.

*shrugs*
My husband is really quiet. I have the utmost repsect for him.

Are you in love with him? :O

Well of course I am. :)
But what does that have to do with respect?
The post I responded to said the quiet guys never get any respect. :p I was commenting on that.

JSD--
To survive all of that and come out of it with all that you have, I'd say chuck the masks. You deserve only deep admiration....You daughter is a lucky girl to have a dad like you.

EveWasFramed said:
Caroline said:
EveWasFramed said:
Wandering stranger said:
Goofy and sensitive doesn't ever get the girl, it serves to keep them though. When's the last time you've seen the quiet guy get respect or garner attention from the opposite sex.

*shrugs*
My husband is really quiet. I have the utmost repsect for him.

Are you in love with him? :O

Well of course I am. :)
But what does that have to do with respect?
The post I responded to said the quiet guys never get any respect. :p I was commenting on that.

oh, i know. i was just curious, that's all. i wish i was in love :\

Nina said:
JSD--
To survive all of that and come out of it with all that you have, I'd say chuck the masks. You deserve only deep admiration....You daughter is a lucky girl to have a dad like you.

thanks nina.

dramaqueen said:
Nina said:
DramaQueen--
I think you and I should take turns trading off our masks with Vanilla....I could use a day of being a, "tough *****"

XD I don't think that vanilla is a tough *****
But I'd like to bea tough ***** cuz the smiley face is tiring me lol
o_o lets be evil

Lol, evil. :D

Wandering stranger said:
put on a jersey shore mask, it seems quite popular nowadays

Overly done fake burnt carrot tans... What has Jersey become... *sigh*

Nina said:
DramaQueen--
It gets rough holding the corners of our mouths --UP-- all the time...We need to schedule a "frown" day! :(

It actually takes more effort to frown than it does to smile.

Wandering stranger said:

I'd prefer a goofy guy. At least we'd have fun with each other. Being goofy can be a nice thing.

I put on the silence+smile mask. I dont think most, if any at all, of my friends or family realise the extent of my shyness/anxiety. Perhaps they do but the subject has never arisen.

I hide behind a friendly mask. You know the extroverted cheerful kind. The truth is I'm not really friendly and I may appear talkative during acquaintance but I stay silent after a while.

Wandering stranger said:
When's the last time you've seen the quiet guy get respect or garner attention from the opposite sex.

Never in my case. I have myself as proof.

I wonder if the rest of you folks hiding behind smiles experiece this: People naturallly assume that because you smile, you have nothing wrong in your life? I have a natural interest in folks in general but friends I always take a very deep stand with. As time passes you find that many of your friendships become very one-sided with you as the constant supporter and no one to support you...

i'm a man of many secrets, so the mask i hide behind is really more of a fake identity that i use to cover up my real life.

Freedom--
What personality do you use to cover the secrets. I relate to what you just said, in many ways that's exactly where I'm at right now . What is, needs to be hidden, so I cover it all with a bright smile.

Sometimes when I'm around people I put on a mask that I'm perfectly fine being there in front of everyone. I don't know if they can tell that I feel completely disconnected from them.

The empty smiley quiet mask. It's not that I pretend to be smiling, but that's the face I put on all the time, and the only thing I know how to do.

Yep. It's a mask I created for myself. I don't smile when I'm alone.

Jesse-
Do people ever mention they feel there is something behind your behavior? This might tell if they see your disconnection. If they don't then your mask is doing it's job. That's the good and bad news. Folks don't see the pain and judge you for it it. But you get lost from yourself from wearing the mask too long.

Laurens--
Another, "smiler" There seems to a be a lot of us. We use it I think, because it's so darned effective. Almost flawless. Folks see those white teeth and shining eyes and just assume the worlds a cupcake with a cherry on top for us... At least we're starting to, sort each other out, in here...That's good.

JamaisVu--
Your mask is just as painful. I think trying to be normal is the hardest. What is normal anyway? The scientific minds of our time can't even come to terms with it. So we end up trying to blend with those arounds us. Anytime we're not being us it hurts. But we get so use to the masks we actually lose the person behind it....

Wandering S--
Any of the masks can be sexy. You just need to bat you eyes a little more and *wink* here and there. ;) You can be the sexy "mask wearer" today....

In high school I acted like a fool and stuff to hide the fact that I was lonely.

In crowds by myself, sometimes I talk to myself to keep me company, more like thinking out loud. I try to act like in a really good mood to keep from depression from getting to me.

Latest posts

Back