what was the last movie you saw?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
affiche%2BLos%2BBastardos%2Bv21.jpg

I guess one of the benefits of having a sister who works for a film distribution company is she brings home films that will never come to a theatre over here, or even be available at any rental place in my area.

This film really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting much, but this is one of the best works of cinema I have ever seen where tension just broods and never lets you know when it fully releases. One scene really caught me off guard and that never happens. Its been a day since I seen this and it still haunts me. Mexico truly holds some of the best filmmakers on the planet at the moment.

DayvanCowboy said:
Mexico truly holds some of the best filmmakers on the planet at the moment.

If Robert Rodriguez's 'El Mariachi' is any indication, then that could be.

Minus said:
DayvanCowboy said:
Mexico truly holds some of the best filmmakers on the planet at the moment.

If Robert Rodriguez's 'El Mariachi' is any indication, then that could be.

Robert Rodriguez proved that you could make a great film with just the things around you without spending much money. This gave a great confidence boost to many future directors from Mexico. He owned a school bus, for no reason but the fact that he had one, so he thought that if he was going to make a movie he would find some way to use it. He did. There is a scene in El Mariachi with his school bus.

From then on, films like Y Tu Mama Tambien, Amores Perros, and their directors made the world notice that they have an unique eye and have the ability to tell stories that are not as formulaic as North America filmmaking. Very groundbreaking and new to the world of cinema.

You also have Carlos Reygadas. Who is easily becoming one of my favorite directors. He brings old Mexican folk stories that have been passed on from generation to generation and gives them a modern twist. Also, he has such a great eye and is very ballsy with some of the slow paces he takes in his scenes, its like nothing I have ever seen before.

I watched a film in my European cinema class the other day called "Seduced and Abandoned." It's an Italian film circa 1964 by director Piero Germi. I found the film to be quite entertaining, and very funny in parts. Definitely something I'd watch again :)

DayvanCowboy said:
I guess one of the benefits of having a sister who works for a film distribution company is she brings home films that will never come to a theatre over here, or even be available at any rental place in my area.

Yes it is not often that as in the fairly rare case of 'El Mariachi' that they become easily available. I know that i am in the minority in that i feel that the seven million dollar remake/sequel lost something. Sure it was much more visually impressive and had a number of big names but it lost something. Maybe i could say it was more typical Hollywood.

Not worth while for most people.
Microbudget

fk1ldj.jpg

"A crazed rabbit goes zombie on a small community turning it's inhabitants into zombies."

Terminus said:
I watched all the Mad Max movies with my brother, such classics, I love 'em! :p

The second one has to be one of my most frequently watched movies.

Latest posts

Back