what was the last movie you saw?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.
It was a lot of fun seeing some of the old Beast Wars crew, in a full-length movie.
I'm looking forward to seeing where the franchise goes next, especially if any other Beast Wars characters make an appearance.

Don't Say A Word (2001)

If you want some interesting crime thriller plot and don't mind rolling the clock back about 20 years, it's a fantastic movie.

It's the story of a criminal psychologist who's daughter is abducted from his families home and held as ransom against him by a small yet meticulous crime ring in order to make the criminal psychologist press a severe PTSD patient to get a 6-digit number out of her from her childhood memory of the horrible day she witnessed her father's murder.

With Michael Douglas, Brittney Murphy and Sean Bean.

It's not AS intense as something like Running Scared (2006), but it is well written. I enjoyed it.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.
It was a lot of fun seeing some of the old Beast Wars crew, in a full-length movie.
I'm looking forward to seeing where the franchise goes next, especially if any other Beast Wars characters make an appearance.

I just can’t get into these types of films. I struggled with some “comic book hero” movies and the like as well because just too much is going on before my eyes. I appreciate the production value tho.

Don't Say A Word (2001)

If you want some interesting crime thriller plot and don't mind rolling the clock back about 20 years, it's a fantastic movie.

It's the story of a criminal psychologist who's daughter is abducted from his families home and held as ransom against him by a small yet meticulous crime ring in order to make the criminal psychologist press a severe PTSD patient to get a 6-digit number out of her from her childhood memory of the horrible day she witnessed her father's murder.

With Michael Douglas, Brittney Murphy and Sean Bean.

It's not AS intense as something like Running Scared (2006), but it is well written. I enjoyed it.
One to put on my list.

"When the infamous "Sweet Sixteen Killer" returns 35 years after his first murder spree to claim another victim, 17-year-old Jamie (Kiernan Shipka) accidentally travels back in time to 1987, determined to stop the killer before he can start."

Untitled-design-24.jpg

The Cure For Wellness (2016)

How's your mental health lately? Feeling seasonal? How about a horror movie about a sanitarium built on an old aquifer that fronts itself as a hospital but is basically a drug-inducing, brainwashing cult that abducts their "patients" ?

That's The Cure For Wellness.
It's actually not bad. I enjoy a good psychological horror, especially after a bout of insomnia and especially if it's well executed like this was.

I just can’t get into these types of films. I struggled with some “comic book hero” movies and the like as well because just too much is going on before my eyes. I appreciate the production value tho.

It's understandable, and I totally see what you mean. Even I struggle to keep up with the sheer amount of things going on in some scenes. And I do think the pacing of movies in general, especially action/superhero/comic book movies, is too fast.

Take the original 3 Star Wars movies for example. Sure, there was plenty of action, but there was also enough down time for the characters to talk, interact, share more about themselves, explain the world, and for us as audience members to take in all the sights and the lore.

In newer movies, things tend to go at a faster pace. Maybe they feel like there's less need for explanation, in these long-established properties. But at the same time, it really helps us as audience members, to catch our breath and keep up.

I understand these types of movies have their pros and cons. I just see and enjoy them anyway because I like the franchises.

And I have to say, your old-school movies seem cool too. They're elegant, classy, from another world. Good stuff (y)

Take the original 3 Star Wars movies for example. Sure, there was plenty of action, but there was also enough down time for the characters to talk, interact, share more about themselves, explain the world, and for us as audience members to take in all the sights and the lore.
Yea this, I think these are called 'beats' , something modern writers and directors don't seem to understand or maybe they just don't care.

I just saw "Collective" (or Colectiv). A documentary from Romania about a heathcare scandal around a high level ripoff of the hospital system.

Stay (2005)

I went into Stay kind of blind, not really knowing what to expect. It's a really sad but beautiful movie. It's about a psychiatrist who takes over for a colleague on leave that was once one of his students because she's experiencing some burnout. He gets one of her patients named Henry, who is not enthused about the change. Henry is noticeably troubled artist. It IS a drama, but it's a mind-bending drama with a twist ending I really wasn't expecting. I'd place it next to something like Donnie Darko, only less visually dark. Probably don't watch this if you have anything productive you need to do the next day because it's a heavy film you'll have to sleep off.

A Man Betrayed (link to film) this is the 1941 film with John Wayne. UK title Citadel of Crime, TV title Wheel of Fortune. There is another movie of the same name made in 1936 which isn't related. Wayne plays Lynn Hollister, a bucolic lawyer who takes on big-city corruption. He sets out to prove that an above-suspicion politician Boss Thomas "Tom" Cameron is actually a crook. Hollister is in love with the politician's daughter, Sabra who is plated by Frances Dee.

a man betrayed 1941.jpg MV5BMmQwMGRmZjAtMTJmZS00YjRlLWIyNDEtNTQ1MDU4ZWM2MWFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

MEPPFYL_o.jpg

All Through the Night (1942)

All-Through-the-Night-1942-006-Humphrey-Bogart.jpg

All-Through-the-Night-1942-040.jpg

MEPPFZK_o.jpg

Ebbing: "...discontent and confusion. Do you ever look at the faces of these Americans
as they read the headlines? Already we have split them into angry little groups
flying at each other, unconscious they are doing our work."

The Lost Weekend (link to film) 1945 drama about an alcoholic starring Ray Milland and Jane Wyman. It was based on Charles R. Jackson's novel of the same name about an alcoholic writer. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won four: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Adapted Screenplay. It also shared the Grand Prix at the first Cannes Film Festival, making it one of only three films—the other two being Marty (1955) and Parasite (2019)—to win both the Academy Award for Best Picture and the highest award at Cannes. In 2011, The Lost Weekend was added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

The_Lost_Weekend_(1945_film).jpg lost-weekend-164.jpg
The Lost Weekend 1.jpg

All My Sons (1948) From a youtube channel with lots of old movies. Burt Lancaster, Edward G Robinson, Howard Duff. During World War II, Joe Keller (Edward G. Robinson) was accused of knowingly shipping damaged airplane parts that led to the deaths of 21 servicemen. While only his business partner, Herbert Deever (Frank Conroy), was convicted of the crime, Keller was guilty as well. When both his own family and the Deever family find out the truth, it damages even further the psyches of both families' children, who were left scarred by their own experiences during the war.

all my sons 1948.jpg MV5BOWRkNmY3OWQtNTI2NS00MGQ4LWE2NjEtNDQzYWJhMDUxM2MyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc2OTM5MTU@._V1_.jpg

And Then There Were None (1945) From a youtube channel with lots of old movies. An adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1939 novel of the same name. There were several other versions of this film and other similar films, like The Glass Onion (2022).

and then there were none 1945.jpg screenshot-www.google.com-2023.10.29-17_35_21.jpg
screenshot-peschelpress.com-2023.10.29-17_35_56.jpg

Latest posts

Back