Why are you alive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amelia said:
I used to want nothing more than to die because I thought I was a waste of space.

I still don't think I am of value as a person, but I have roles that give me a reason to keep going now. My existence matters to my rescued dogs. I also support my parents, so until they are gone, I need to be around.

And as a teacher, I see that my existence can (maybe) have an impact on children. I try to engage the lonely/isolated/academically weak kids in school and hope that it will make them feel like they are not forgotten/overlooked. I don't know if it will help in the long run, but I like to think for a few hours at least, these kids feel like okay, someone notices me. 

I don't know if I will want to continue living when I am old/retired but for now, this drives me to live.

I think being a teacher is a great responsibility, I also think your dedication will shine greatly to your students. Honestly I remember all my great teachers and know that they have made a huge impact on my life.

I too will stick around until my parents pass, mostly my mother. I have a rescued dog and cat and I certainly couldn't go before either of them because I saved them from being in a shelter I wouldn't want them back there. Medically they're both needy and I am grateful I work in a Animal Hospital so it's easy for me to get them the care they need.

Otherwise as I said in another post I am ready when ready is willing to take me. I do not wish to be hindered by any arthritis or any other old people ailments.

Siku said:
While I can still say it, I've come to the conclusion that I'm addicted to love and compassion. Only thing that keeps me going whilst kills me the most lol. Colour me cheesy or whatever you'd like. I know who I am lol.

I hear ya, I am a sucker for love which is why I am also here.

benj said:
Why/ How is life hard work dude? What kind of hard work? And how does that justify killing yourself?

Now I enjoy life so it's easy to keep living.

When I had no friends, couldn't seem to succeed at anything whether jobs, anything at all I felt like there was no hope to be what is termed successful and I would be a lonely, homeless individual forever and was frequently on the verge of suicide.
I tried to remember at that time that if I killed myself there would be a complete absence, if there was even one thing in the world that I liked or enjoyed then that outweighed complete lack of experience. As far as I'm concerned we only get one chance to experience all this - to snuff it out is such a ridiculously weighty decision to take that unless you're a 100% certain you should be choosing life and doing the necessary work to make it pleasant. I've based my values since on this.

To me anyone that e.g. goes to jump off a bridge and admires the view one last time is making the wrong decision to kill themselves unless the pain is literally constantly excrutiating the rest of the time, because you're giving up absolutley everything and for what? In aid of what? It's a stupid decision.

I started pulling myself out of feeling suicidal by appreciating little asthetic things i.e. a particular view or patterns in something and reminding myself that would be gone if I did it. Then I started thinking about activities I like doing and worked at them, expanded them some of them turning into hobbies/ near obsessions that I really enjoy and that in places have for instance made me able to travel, by amazing means, pretty much for free, to most places - something I would never have thought was possible. Over time I built up my confidence to interact with people (a little bit) more beginning by just saying hello to people in shops - now I have a few ppl I can count as friends and hugely enjoy those friendships.

Through building up my interests and to a lesser extent friends I found reasons to want to live, thus I need to survive comfortably so may as well try again in jobs, through lots of hard work I can now survive in some jobs just about and have gradually dragged myself up the career ladder to a point where I'm semi-comfortable at my ability to survive in the world of work.

I think deciding to give up absolutley everything in this world, everything you've ever known, absolutley anything that you find beautiful/ pleasurably and exchange it for complete absence is a petulant, utterly stupid and wasteful decision unless you have long standing clinical depression (even then its wrong yr just blinded) or a chronic condition that literally does make life constant agony/ hell on earth - life and experience is infinitely valuable. There are so many avenues you can take, if you are restricted in one way you can find joy and satisfaction in another if you work for it - I think it does take work to be happy though and enjoy things.

Now I'm pushed by possibilities to travel, to learn, to develop hobbies, by the thought of a spliff and a southpark when I get home from work, by people I know, people I might meet, by the thought of going for a walk tomorrow when hopefully the weather will be nice and the light really low/ clear in a nice place full of nature. Loadsa stuff. There are so many possibilities and beautiful things/ people to see and meet and life is much too short.

Sorry for the long slightly pompous reply, just wanted to try and get across how valuable I think life is just as raw experience and how it can be for someone who it might also considered a loss cause for. Think too many people commit suicide or talk about suicide on impulse without thinking about the totality of what they're throwing away - it's not just work or someone bullying you - u can always leave those situations.

Why is life hard work for you?
I am alive because i haven't got the courage to commit suicide.

Azariah said:
because im not dead

Lol I said that in mind just now too  :D

squidge said:
benj said:
Why/ How is life hard work dude? What kind of hard work? And how does that justify killing yourself?

Now I enjoy life so it's easy to keep living.

When I had no friends, couldn't seem to succeed at anything whether jobs, anything at all I felt like there was no hope to be what is termed successful and I would be a lonely, homeless individual forever and was frequently on the verge of suicide.
I tried to remember at that time that if I killed myself there would be a complete absence, if there was even one thing in the world that I liked or enjoyed then that outweighed complete lack of experience. As far as I'm concerned we only get one chance to experience all this - to snuff it out is such a ridiculously weighty decision to take that unless you're a 100% certain you should be choosing life and doing the necessary work to make it pleasant. I've based my values since on this.

To me anyone that e.g. goes to jump off a bridge and admires the view one last time is making the wrong decision to kill themselves unless the pain is literally constantly excrutiating the rest of the time, because you're giving up absolutley everything and for what? In aid of what? It's a stupid decision.

I started pulling myself out of feeling suicidal by appreciating little asthetic things i.e. a particular view or patterns in something and reminding myself that would be gone if I did it. Then I started thinking about activities I like doing and worked at them, expanded them some of them turning into hobbies/ near obsessions that I really enjoy and that in places have for instance made me able to travel, by amazing means, pretty much for free, to most places - something I would never have thought was possible. Over time I built up my confidence to interact with people (a little bit) more beginning by just saying hello to people in shops - now I have a few ppl I can count as friends and hugely enjoy those friendships.

Through building up my interests and to a lesser extent friends I found reasons to want to live, thus I need to survive comfortably so may as well try again in jobs, through lots of hard work I can now survive in some jobs just about and have gradually dragged myself up the career ladder to a point where I'm semi-comfortable at my ability to survive in the world of work.

I think deciding to give up absolutley everything in this world, everything you've ever known, absolutley anything that you find beautiful/ pleasurably and exchange it for complete absence is a petulant, utterly stupid and wasteful decision unless you have long standing clinical depression (even then its wrong yr just blinded) or a chronic condition that literally does make life constant agony/ hell on earth - life and experience is infinitely valuable. There are so many avenues you can take, if you are restricted in one way you can find joy and satisfaction in another if you work for it - I think it does take work to be happy though and enjoy things.

Now I'm pushed by possibilities to travel, to learn, to develop hobbies, by the thought of a spliff and a southpark when I get home from work, by people I know, people I might meet, by the thought of going for a walk tomorrow when hopefully the weather will be nice and the light really low/ clear in a nice place full of nature. Loadsa stuff. There are so many possibilities and beautiful things/ people to see and meet and life is much too short.

Sorry for the long slightly pompous reply, just wanted to try and get across how valuable I think life is just as raw experience and how it can be for someone who it might also considered a loss cause for. Think too many people commit suicide or talk about suicide on impulse without thinking about the totality of what they're throwing away - it's not just work or someone bullying you - u can always leave those situations.

Why is life hard work for you?
I am alive because i haven't got the courage to commit suicide.

Same..Not just courage but is also cowardice, because the responsibilities that we have still ned us even after and also makes it difficult for loved ones to smile, to live on. 

It takes courage to live on.. That is beautiful courage.

Because the higher power won't grant my wish. I don't know why. I server no purpose being here. I have no one. I do have pets. I guess I'm alive to take care of them. I suppose that should be good enough. But it's not.

bodeilla said:
Because the higher power won't grant my wish. I don't know why. I server no purpose being here. I have no one. I do have pets. I guess I'm alive to take care of them. I suppose that should be good enough. But it's not.

That's so nice u have animals. I know they are not enough but at least they help some lonliness.😸🐰🐶💗

Alive because I have so many more things to accomplish, most of which involve other people IRL.

ordinaryDude said:
I can't find a reason to be alive anymore, I've lived enough and at 28 I think life is pretty long and that I would rather end it. For me, life isn't easy and it's not worthy of living through hard work, not that I've a very hard life though.

So, I'm curious to see why people keep living, especially the people who face so much hardship only to remain alive. So, please share the answers of these question!

What makes you keep living?
What pushes you to do the hard work so that you can live another day?

I'm solving the energy crisis.  Almost there.

I don't live for the life of it.  Life is pointless without a goal.  Think of something you'd like to see become real and then go do it.

I'm alive, because...I was born. As long as there are still good moments waiting to be experienced, it is worth it for me to endure pain. Hope keeps me going in the darkest moments.

ordinaryDude said:
I can't find a reason to be alive anymore, I've lived enough and at 28 I think life is pretty long and that I would rather end it. For me, life isn't easy and it's not worthy of living through hard work, not that I've a very hard life though.

So, I'm curious to see why people keep living, especially the people who face so much hardship only to remain alive. So, please share the answers of these question!

I  just try and  find  something  positive about  everyday

Cuz... dat dare tang be empty. Ha! ha!

iu

ordinaryDude said:

LOL... You make it sound like slavery. What "hard work" are you talking about? Do you work a construction job? I have, among many other professional activities. What helped me go through the day was the thought that it wasn't permanent, only temporary, that I "only" have 7 or 6 hours left then it's home, a nice bath, relaxing on the sofa with some goodies to shove in my mouth. It never failed. I'd see the end of the workday even before it got unbearable.
But mainly, what keeps me alive is the gratitude I have toward my maker for gifting me such a beautiful gift to experience being on this earth with all 5 senses ( and maybe even a 6th one ) and also the fact that Life is a big surprise all its own, never know when something good or bad will happen and the not knowing makes it even more exciting.

Because I am a product of society as it is now and as it was for millennia. I am alive because I am a product created by God or by the social and physical necessities and universal logic. By each and every force in this Universe, by all of them working together for my existence and for the homeostasis of the whole system. Because I am really something needed in this universal system, alive because of universal laws. And all other persons in the world are the same. I am alive because I am one of them, under the powerful species' commandments, a body and a mind sustained by all the other humans, and sustaining the others in return. I fill a space and I have a function in the Universe. I am alive because I am a specimen and I communicate unconsciously and I fit together with other human beings. I am alive because I am on the path of life, apparently heading towards biological death. I am alive because I am a mix of everything that exists. I am alive not because I want to be alive, but because I am a living being - and my will too is only a byproduct, comprising too many reasons of being to be counted. I am happy because I am alive and because I am a rational being.
[video=youtube]

Latest posts

Back