Why does the 3-second rule have to be true?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mr. Sir

In 3 seconds of talking to a woman, they decide if you're boyfriend material or not. Which means, if you do anything doofus-like in those three seconds, out of nervousness, you're messed. You're friendzoned. :(
Apparently it doesn't matter what else she finds out about your character.

Please tell me this isn't always true, and ways to get around this.

I think it's really cute when a guy is nervous and acts like a duff as you put it:p I remember being on a first date and the guy was eating a piece of steak with mushroom gravy and it trickled down his chin. He had an "oh god, tell me that didn't just happen" look. It was cute. I laughed and wiped his chin. I didn't think anything of it. Not all girls are so shallow. It takes time to know someone and anyone with a good head on thier shoulder would hopefully have enough sense to give someone a chance. Hang in there :)

SocratesX said:
In 3 seconds of talking to a woman, they decide if you're boyfriend material or not. Which means, if you do anything doofus-like in those three seconds, out of nervousness, you're messed. You're friendzoned. :(

The 3-second rule applies to cookies that have just hit the floor, not potential boyfriends.

Anyone who is so shallow that she is really going to consign you to friendzone hell after 3 seconds is probably not worth your time.

SocratesX said:

She is not worth it. Only the no-brain girls act that way. No, not all the women are like the one you are talking about. In fact, the nervousness is the proof that you are not a jurk and you are sensible. And I am sure that 90% of the women think the same. Am I wrong girls??

Most definitely not wrong. :3

I've never heard of that rule myself. I know about the "5 second rule" for food dropped on the floor though. :3

In fact, that's what I thought this thread was going to be about. ^^;

DakotaDesert said:
SocratesX said:

She is not worth it. Only the no-brain girls act that way. No, not all the women are like the one you are talking about. In fact, the nervousness is the proof that you are not a jurk and you are sensible. And I am sure that 90% of the women think the same. Am I wrong girls??

I thought it was about cars, but cars have nothing to do with this section lol

I don't believe in the 5 second food rule, ill leave it on the floor till I finish what I was making (couple mins) and then ill pick it up and eat it.

As for the girl 3 second rule, I would have to say no. Maybe thats how a very small percentage of women operate, but I doubt it would be the field you would be working in.

Just be yourself, if they don't like it their not worth your time. Don't try to be someone / something your not :)

whether it's 3 sec or 8 sec.

I assume most women wants a guy to last loner than that....
I mean before he drops cookies in her car.

Btw...What's wrong with eat cookies on the floor?

The three second rule sounds like it has been invented by someone trying to market their latest aid to help men pick up women.

I never knew about this rule :O I used to act like a real dick to my current girlfriend, but for some rason she still decided to date me :) I'm glad she gave me a chance ^.^

Estreen said:
I've never heard of that rule myself. I know about the "5 second rule" for food dropped on the floor though. :3

In fact, that's what I thought this thread was going to be about. ^^;

I did also. Never hear of the other one either.

do you get a chance to say something in that 3 seconds? or do you just stand there while she quickly inspects you for dents and rust?

"hello, how are you doing tonight?"... so..er.. whaddya reckon.. boyfriend?

nope. pure madness.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
do you get a chance to say something in that 3 seconds? or do you just stand there while she quickly inspects you for dents and rust?

nope. pure madness.

I'm sayin she looks at you, and if you happen to feel uncomfortable, and have awkward or quirky body language, she writes you off.

My roomates introduced me to these two girls the other night. I was polite as hell to them. But they looked at me like an alien the whole time. I swear I was polite as hell. Didn't say anything creepy, anything forward, and they still looked at me weird.

i hear ya.

in the first 3 seconds you can maybe achieve a first impression, but thats all it is an impression.

i pretty much agree with cheaptrickfan, in that if the girl banishes you to the friendliness zone in the first few seconds she is obviously shallow and isnt worth your time and effort in persuing anything meaningful. physical attractiveness isnt controllable, its subjective and more valued by some than others.

i've seen your photo, you are not ugly. so if its your nerves in the initial meeting that you think are hampering your efforts, work on being less nervous. anyone with any depth wont 'write you off' because you are awkward or quirky.

maybe just being polite is enough too. being 'polite as hell' sounds like a slight overkill.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:

nope. pure madness.

Errr...in the first 3 sec. I'm thinking to myself
"mmmm..dose she likes 69?" (GF material :p)

Lonesome Crow said:

meh.. she can like 12,73,81,44..whatever her favourite number isnt really important to me.. as long as she has massive, juicy, succulent...
nostrils :p

I like how everyone in here is under some impression that just about every person on the planet isn't shallow.

There thousands of things you read off of a persons attire, body language, initial introduction etc...

I can root out 80% of women off of JUST physical appearance, throw in dress style and body language (that tells a TON about personality) and you drop another pretty large chunk, then if you are good at talking to people you can usually read a lot out of just the first sentence (voice pitch, volume, grammar, etc... all huge personality ques.)

I would say that I can pick out with 99% accuracy whether or not I'll be seriously interested in a girl within 5 seconds of interaction.

Papabear said:
I like how everyone in here is under some impression that just about every person on the planet isn't shallow.

On the contrary, I assume that most everyone is shallow.

I might be mistaken though, when I assume that people don't want a shallow boyfriend or girlfriend. They want someone to look through their physical flaws and see the diamond in the rough just waiting for that perfect person.

I guess my point would be that if people are going to be insanely picky about who they'd like to be with, then they ought not ***** about it when people turn the tables on them and act every bit as shallow with them. "Whyyyyyyy are girls so shallow?! All they want is men with money, good jobs... blah blah ******* blah."

SocratesX said:
My roomates introduced me to these two girls the other night. I was polite as hell to them. But they looked at me like an alien the whole time. I swear I was polite as hell. Didn't say anything creepy, anything forward, and they still looked at me weird.

Perhaps your "polite as hell" came across as shy. I think that sometimes people don't know how to act around shy people to draw them out of their shell.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
Lonesome Crow said:

meh.. she can like 12,73,81,44..whatever her favourite number isnt really important to me.. as long as she has massive, juicy, succulent...
nostrils :p

3 sec? I wonder "what is the favorite number? 69, 96...? Hope is not a zero..." lol

Papabear said:

There thousands of things you read off of a persons attire, body language, initial introduction etc...

I can root out 80% of women off of JUST physical appearance, throw in dress style and body language (that tells a TON about personality) and you drop another pretty large chunk, then if you are good at talking to people you can usually read a lot out of just the first sentence (voice pitch, volume, grammar, etc... all huge personality ques.)

I would say that I can pick out with 99% accuracy whether or not I'll be seriously interested in a girl within 5 seconds of interaction.

See that's my problem

Latest posts

Back